It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American woman shot by police in Atlanta on Martin Luther King drive.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Or if she was shooting from behind her back handcuffed maybe, that would make it hard to hit someone in the front seat. You don't really get buckled in if its a cruiser very well.. Sometimes not at all. I rode in one cuffed that had these nice like cutouts in the fiberglass like a giant kids high chair or something. It was all contoured to your hands behind your back and whatnot so you just snugly fit right into place.... Well the average person anyway.. I'm quite tall with a large upper body and long arms, I just had to sit on it all sideways with my head pressing into the roof... No seat belt.. I actually don't recall what spurned on this particular ride in the cop car..

Totally off topic but a great humorous story that is needed nowadays I think.. This one time these 2 state cops came to serve a warrant on me for the before mentioned offense that I had the possession missed in searches. Well these cops were state troopers from wayyy up north and didn't have any idea where they were.. I knew what jail they were supposed to take me too and when they jumped on the expressway they chose I was scratching my head.. Hypothetically of course...

Well after a good hour(jail is 25 minutes away) the officer in the passenger seat turns the radio down and asks the guy driving where he's going aren't they supposed to be going to such and such town(he had the wrong town too lol) well the driver says noooo we gottta get off here and go this way blah blah and I from the back seat pipe up and ask "uhhhh where are you taking me exactly?" And when they answered with the jail that I thought I was supposed to be going to which was nooooooowhere near where we were I kindly offered them some directions which they agreed I was probably right and luckily decided to follow my directions. I'm a pretty nice guy, not in trouble for anything terrible, why shouldn't they right lol...

Well here is where the story gets funny.. I felt all awkward cause I just gave these cops directions and they took my advice but it's not like it was all "hey thanks buddy" it was all very short and kinda gruff so I didn't really feel all welcome and it was like 1 am and I was super tired... Well for whatever reason after the cop took my advice and we got back on track he reaches over and CRANKS the radio knob, he musta heard the song barely playing and turned it up or whatever maybe just trying to cut off possible conversation.. Well he turned it up right at the end of a song right as the commercial starts and we all get hypnotized and just kinda zone out... I'm not joking.. The commercials carry on and the radio IS JUST CRANKED TO ELEVEN for like 3 Britney Spears and Christina agulera type songs all poppy and terrible and this is kinda where I took notice.. Then some terrrrrrible song came on that had such a shrill shrill chorus to it all female and ridiculous to be listing to at such a high volume in a police cruise with 2 very large state troopers giving me a ride to jail at 1 am...

Well the guy in the passenger seat all of a sudden reaches over LIGHTNING fast and turns the radio down and goes "WHAT IN THE F WORD ARE WE LISTENING TO!!?!?" And from the back seat as hysterical laughter began welling in my chest I said "I thought this was part of the punishment" and all three of us laughed almost to tears like stoners on a back road. It was awesome... As we were calming down from the laughter we were almost to the jail, it was a story book perfect ending, the laughter trailed off into heavy breathing as we pulled in to book me... They were super cool and introduced me to everyone and I had a pretty good time actually. They let me use a desk phone cause no ones cell phones accept collect calls anymore lol and I didn't know any house numbers by heart(take note of this if your a delinquent of any sort lol) all in all it was awesome. We got there 2am ish and They made sure to get me to the judge first cause I had bail waiting so 9:15am ish... It really could of gone A LOT worse lol.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

How can someone shoot with hands cuffed behind their back?

I was wondering that myself .Seems like a very good way of putting another hole in your ass .

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I don't know what they did, I wasn't there and there's all kinds of different terms being used.

Some articles say she was arrested. Some say she was detained. It was a female, but was there a female officer present or on the way? Male officers often will perform only a cursory search and then wait for a female officer to perform a more thorough search. I've seen all manner of things get taken from "chest areas" and "baby maker areas."

As for whether it's possible to shoot while handcuffed (which again, no idea if she even was): yes, it's possible. Saw a woman scratch her nose while handcuffed. Behind her back. Also seen people jump their cuffs.

Really not sure why race was injected into this so quickly.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yeah They messed up , but if it were male cops who patted her down , then the usual suspects would have been on here calling those cops perverted rapists . Seen it on here before in an older thread .

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Seems sketchy for sure, but last year, there was a case where the cops missed a gun while searching a guy. He ended up shooting himself in the head while is hands were behind his back and in cuffs.

I'll search for that story when I'm on a PC. Pretty sure it got posted here though.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Because there are people who have an interest in spinning every situation into a race hate crime.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: Shamrock6

The police put her in the back of a patrol car without searching her to see if she had a gun or any other type of weapoin? is that common procedure?

Good catch! Is that just ridiculous or what?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

The police put her in the back of a patrol car without searching her to see if she had a gun or any other type of weapoin? is that common procedure?

Good catch! Is that just ridiculous or what?

Not if, as others have pointed out, the arresting officers were male. They would have called for a female officer to come perform the search and detained her in the back of their patrol car until she arrived.

Either way, if this case stirs up crap in Atlanta, at least I will have a first hand account of the event as I live here....

5PM at that intersection (MLK Jr and Pryor) was when it happened....that is a VERY busy street at that time of day on a weekday here, so it is likely there were a LOT of witnesses to this one, as well as a lot of cameras from building surveillance.

edit on 5/1/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Same as with the headlines on the news when I first read it on Yahoo newsfeed this morning ! You have to keep the masses all riled up , it's just good Biz !

No reaction when it states "A female suspect opened fire on police and the police returned fire , killing the suspect."

This is why we continue to have this division in this country , everyone has to be labeled . If the original headlines would have only stated the suspects name and age , it would have just been like any other story . But they add race into the mix to keep everyone on edge , riled up . No division , not as many news stories that "make a splash" . And we would not be having this discussion on here .

ETA: I live in a tri-state area , we are predominately white . When I watch the news and it speaks of a person being shot in a neighboring state by police and no race is included . I know it was a white person who was shot . Or when , in a local jail a few years back , a prisoner was stomped to death by deputies . NO race was discussed , never brought into the conversation . None of the local newspapers or news channels stated "White man beaten and killed while in police custody ! Story at 6:00 !!" .

edit on 1-5-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Very funny story.
Amazing how laughter can smooth over some of the worst things.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe
Well, Hi neighbor, I'm very close to Atlanta also, just outside perimeter. I'm pretty sure the cops were waiting on a female officer for in depth search. We've had our share of suicide by cops lately, so those cops were probably a little
gun shy ( terrible pun) but they are still alive.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: justdust
a reply to: Vasa Croe
Well, Hi neighbor, I'm very close to Atlanta also, just outside perimeter. I'm pretty sure the cops were waiting on a female officer for in depth search. We've had our share of suicide by cops lately, so those cops were probably a little
gun shy ( terrible pun) but they are still alive.

Yeah....I am just outside the perimeter as well. I am always in downtown though.....this is really close to Atlantic Station which is known for a lot of crap going on at night, but not really this early in the day. There was a bit or rioting going on there during the Michael Brown case, but not much damage.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Perhaps they were holding her there until a female officer arrived to search her? I don't know and I'm not going to waste my time reading the article. This whole "poor wittle black people" bit is getting old.

And sir, your racism is getting old. This has nothing to do with black or not black. Police do not miss firearms and they don't not search people so unless she had it in a body cavity which we know she didn't this stinks. Police brutality crosses all lines of race.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

No , sorry but you are wrong . Many male officers will not do a thorough pat down of females . They will do a quick search , skipping over the naughty bits , so they could have very easily missed a weapon down her pants . Male officers place females in custody and await a female officer do perform a thorough search .

And I do not blame them , does not take much for male officers to be accused of sexual harassment and open themselves up to litigation .

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

Perhaps they were holding her there until a female officer arrived to search her? I don't know and I'm not going to waste my time reading the article. This whole "poor wittle black people" bit is getting old.

And sir, your racism is getting old. This has nothing to do with black or not black. Police do not miss firearms and they don't not search people so unless she had it in a body cavity which we know she didn't this stinks. Police brutality crosses all lines of race.

That is not true....male officers will OFTEN call a female officer to frisk a female in order to avoid a sexual assault charge. Often they will even ask the detainee if they would like a female officer to do the pat down. If they do not have a female officer at the location they will call for one and put the detainee in the back of their car to wait.

Seems this is the most likely scenario in this case.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Stop with the racism!

The officers were black too.

The article fails to make it a big part of the story because they want more views and more clicks to their site.

Male officers will usually call for a female officer to do the search so they are not accused of rape or sexual assault.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel

Lulz. Yes, police can miss things during searches. Which is why when arrested you'll be searched multiple times, from the time of arrest up through being booked in to detention.

And let's be honest, we don't "know" anything other than she got shot. The rest is still up for debate. Unless you were an eyewitness to the entire thing and you know the entire sequence of events from start to finish, from firsthand perspective.

In which case, enlighten us? But don't sit there and throw your opinion around, especially when it's ill-informed, and then scream "fact!" as if it makes everything concrete all of a sudden.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

A black on black killing doesn't make for a juicy headline as you can't play the race card..so this will be filed under "nothing to see here", and life goes on as they were justified in defending themselves.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
For all we know the gun could have been dumped in the back of the cruiser by the last detainee they didn't frisk well enough.

Sometimes slack S.O.P's can be the death of you.
edit on AM5Fri20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
I'm not going to go into details but I know first hand, in my own experience, I was arrested, handcuffed, searched 3 times, and I rode in the police car under arrest for 45 minutes before finally admitting to still being in the possession of a very much illegal possession. No need to name this possession but it took up a pretty large volume of area and you wouldn't even believe me if I told you seeing as they missed it 3 times in searches..

I spoke up a block from the jail so I didn't get any extra charges or issues when I got the real deal search at the jail lol.. Needless to say these 2 cops who's experience totals more then 30 years were blown away...

It can happen

You are correct--especially if they were male officers and didn't want to get in trouble for having an "intimate" search of a female suspect.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, sometimes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join