It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Mushrooms? Here's a good resource for those interested in learning...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hey folks, I stumbled upon this wonderful seminar video, I think would be of immense help to those who are interested in mushroom hunting.

It's hosted by John Dawson, President of the Eastern Pennsylvania Mushroomers club and does a very good job of educating the novice on "how to approach" learning the ins and outs of mushroom identification.

What I love most in this vid, is letting us know that the road is tough, plenty of often forgotten keys, that we must learn prior to delving into any possible collection for consuming...

More importantly, it highlights the fungi that are ones to avoid, and serious time spent on their ID as well, much like edible plants, I agree that it is just as important to be able to ID those that harm as those that we can use...

This is a long video... over 2 hours... so you must make a commitment to take in all of the info, and I highly suggest taking it all in... if not bookmarking and watching twice or thrice....

For those who are interested, here's the seminar....

It's well worth the watch IMO...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I don't care how good a video is.
I ain't eating no fungus unless someone shows me first hand, in the field, which ones are not going to make me dead. Or even sick.

I think giving such advice in a youtube video is ill advised.
edit on 4/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Thank you for sharing. I saw the neatest little Etsy shop the other day, dedicated to selling 'mushroom grow kits' which supposedly give you everything you need to grow a particular type of mushroom. I thought, wow what a neat niche that must be to live in. I would love to have all that knowledge!

Bookmarking your vid - hopefully I get a chance to spend 2 hours with it.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So you don't want to learn how to learn...

I get it...

Nice to know you responded, without watching the video..

carry on...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I picked 80 Morels this season, as i do every year, although i usually pick more... Lol

Mycology is definitely important to know

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I told you how I want to learn.
And it's not by watching a youtube video. Not when it's a matter of live or death.

edit on 4/26/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I got it... trust someone who may know rather than learning how to ID on your own...

good luck...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Nope. Trust someone who does know and have them show me exactly which fungi are safe.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I don't care how good a video is.
I ain't eating no fungus unless someone shows me first hand, in the field, which ones are not going to make me dead. Or even sick.

I think giving such advice in a youtube video is ill advised.

That's understandable. Even if you know your Mushrooms and have eaten them for years...# Happens

But don't discount what others might be able to teach you from a Video...Ive mastered many arts from youtube

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtnFresh morels mixed in a steak sandwich is pure heaven.

Thank you for the vid...this guy is near my neck of the woods.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Once again... good luck.... although I would suggest watching the seminar... this guy is top notch and a good starting point for those interested in learning and not just having an expert point them to the porcinis on the grocery store shelf

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
I picked 80 Morels this season, as i do every year, although i usually pick more... Lol

Mycology is definitely important to know
Thats what I'm talking about!Yummy!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

But don't discount what others might be able to teach you from a Video...Ive mastered many arts from youtube

I was pretty specific about my reservations.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Bagged a half dozen this afternoon... just starting around here..

nice haul... enjoy!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
You definitely want to know what you're picking for food when it comes to fungi.
Some are delicious and nutritious.
Some will belly-ache you straight to hell.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Really. the things you want to avoid are Amanita Type mushrooms as they will kill your liver...Gilled/ parasol

Beefsteak Mushroom(Gyromitra). although people do eat them. But as they rot or in certain parts of the country they produce (monmethylhydrazine)which is the compound in solid rocket booster fuel, which just the vapor alone from boiling them on the stove can kill you...But thousands of people eat every year .

If one sticks to Morel(Morchella) and the various pored Mushrooms, like Bolete's, you'll have less problems identifying and less chance eating Amonita Muscaria and her relatives

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

Bagged a half dozen this afternoon... just starting around here..

nice haul... enjoy!!!

Awesome

I only gather what i'm going to eat fresh now..I used to follow each wave and move with the zones to gather and either dehydrate or freeze...I'm getting too old...Hahahahaha

I have my easy picken Spots i frequent every season now.

But it is really fun teaching people the ropes on gathering, processing, cooking and storage

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I was pretty specific about my reservations.

It doesn't hurt to watch, as it gives you an advanced look into the art...then you can go and put in to practical application, whether you eat them or not....Gathering Morels are gold..if you found a fresh wheel barrel full, they sell round here for $50 bucks a wet pound

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Gathering Morels are gold..if you found a fresh wheel barrel full, they sell round here for $50 bucks a wet pound

Nice price, but they don't seem to like my neck of the woods (tropical).
There are a few fungi I know and will gather if I run across them but there doesn't seem to be a large market for them.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Gathering Morels are gold..if you found a fresh wheel barrel full, they sell round here for $50 bucks a wet pound

Nice price, but they don't seem to like my neck of the woods (tropical).
There are a few fungi I know and will gather if I run across them but there doesn't seem to be a large market for them.

You can buy spores of various Species and grow them at home, Although if you could ever grow Morels in the lab Commercially, You'd be a billionaire

<<   2  3 >>

join