It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs killed over unpaid fines:

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

California resident Gerilynn Aflleje was horrified when her 4-year-old Siberian Husky mix was killed by a local animal shelter over $180 in fees that she couldn't afford.

Her dog, Chunk, had been dropped off at the Stockton shelter after getting lost in 2013, she later explained at a city council meeting. When Aflleje discovered her dog there less than a week later, she said the shelter demanded $180 within 24 hours for storing Chunk.

Unemployed, Aflleje couldn't get the money in time. "We didn't only lose our pet. We lost a family member," she said.

In a number of cities across the country, animal control agencies are aggressively going after pet owners with big fines for small violations. Some hold people's pets until they settle their bills, even if it means they end up killed. Others leave the dogs alone but issue arrest warrants for owners who can't pay up.
money.cnn.com...

This is getting rediculous if a city,state need money for basic stuff..then raise freaking Taxes! the police are becoming de-facto tax collectors they pick on weakest members of society while doing away with the estate Tax for really rich folks..they need to stop that ish now!

Outraged pet owners and animal rights attorneys say these harsh tactics are all about generating money and unfairly impact low-income Americans.

edit on 19-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Ugh !... How is this beneficial for society ? So the animal shelter puts the dog down because the owner cannot afford the bill,which is nothing but a ransom ...pay up or were gonna kill your dog.....
...who comes up with this crap....

This "for profit" system is really showing some flaws........

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Ugh !... How is this beneficial for society ? So the animal shelter puts the dog down because the owner cannot afford the bill,which is nothing but a ransom ...pay up or were gonna kill your dog.....
...who comes up with this crap....

This "for profit" system is really showing some flaws........

The same kind of corrupt systemic targeting of people in poor communities ex: Ferguson.
Wanna raise city and state revenues,legalize ganja or raise taxes stop fking with poor people.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The Royal Society for the prevention of cruelty to Animals should be engaged.

Killing an animal because of something totally beyond their control is cruelty at a fundamental level.

Absolutely bloody disgusting.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Wonder if it costs more to kill the dog than the average amount owed?

I'd have paid the money if I was asked. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm vulnerable to kickstarters, fundmes, and social media campaigns like nothing else.

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

California is a extortion state. If they could tax, fee, or fine you for your flatulence, they would!

What a heartbreaking story. I would be devastated. Have dogs myself.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

What........What is going on in the world. This shelter and it's employees should be ashamed of themselves. Many people including myself would have covered the bill........Are people going crazy or what.

Think about it.......... who would kill a dog over a small amount of money. The employees and volunteers at this shelter did not chip in or speak out.......Shame on all of you.....SHAME. Scum bags every last one of you.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The Royal Society for the prevention of cruelty to Animals should be engaged.

Killing an animal because of something totally beyond their control is cruelty at a fundamental level.

Absolutely bloody disgusting.

Yep, the person making the call should be arrested for animal cruelty. I did not even see that angle.....Thank you for pointing it out.

You are not judged by how well you treat equals but how you treat the weak and needy. This is the true test of moral fiber.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Let me start by saying,I don't post here regularly, BUT if anyone touched my two dogs, I can guarantee some people would be meeting MR. LOUISVILLE SLUGGER!! I will definitely take them out of the park. This kind of stuff is complete and utter BS. These high and mighty pansies need to be taught a lesson that they won't soon forget. You're right it is like kidnapping a defenseless animal, that is part of your family, for ransom and them saying F U pay me or your dog gets it. Bunch of spineless, greedy, lowlife SOB's. Makes me sick. Sorry for ranting , but this is something close to my heart. Thanks for hearing me out. I would have gladly paid for someone in that situation. Sorry but I have way more respect for the animals than I do for the people in situations like this.The people know better, The animals don't.
edit on 20-4-2015 by yanks528 because: left something out

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
At this rate it shant be long before they start doing the same thing with human prisoners.
??!! you say?
20 years ago who would have believed they could have passed the PATRIOT ACT, NDAA or Obamacare?
That's the problem with people, a lack of imagination for the depths of depravity others are capable of in the name of greed and power. Just because you'd never dream of doing something that bad doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. It's a trait borne of goodness of the heart but prone to abuse by others.

Killing dogs over a few $?
The world has gone mad hasn't it?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

This is cruel and inhumane treatment.....of both animals and pet owners.

Absolutely reprehensible.

Fire whomever is allowing these types of initiatives to get passed and inacted and allow more volunteer work of qualified and HUMAN professionals.

Disgusting this kind of thing even made it to this point.

Oh yeah. Please spay and neuter your pets.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It will be our kids next, hey we found your lost child but you have to pay a fine before we can return him to you or he will be sent to work in our sweat shop until you can pay.
Our government is so backwards they are taking us to a place that is only good for them and don't care what happens to anyone along the way.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I know it costs money to store your pet. Manpower isn't free, neither is the space or the food. But never in a million years would I imagine that a dog would be put to sleep over a fine. If the owner couldn't pay it and I was dead set in retrieving that money, I'd offer a pay as you go deal. Twenty bucks a month and you get to take your loved pet home today.

This is pretty disgusting and I really hope some heads roll.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

So...they are Terrorists, thieves and extortionists then.

All three are a crime in America and many other countries...why are they getting away with three very serious crimes and yet somehow imagine they are legally safe?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

So...they are Terrorists, thieves and extortionists then.

All three are a crime in America and many other countries...why are they getting away with three very serious crimes and yet somehow imagine they are legally safe?

Because they have badges and uniforms.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
not that im agreeing with the actions taken, but why does an unemployed person who doesnt have 180 dollars keep a pet dog?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

This is why I say that the Ferguson thing was not about race. It was simple corruption and, spectacular as it was, just another abuse of power.

Bullies prey upon the weak who are frequently poor and commonly minority but, not exclusively.

In this case, an 81 year old who's dogs got out was thrown in jail.

Most people figure out a way to avoid the gaping maw of state intervention but, for those who don't, it can be a death sentence.
edit on 20-4-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Sorry I gave you a star but want it back. How much ransom do I owe? Maybe they have only so much money, maybe they had the dogs before losing a job, maybe they just don't make enough money or have enough in reserve to pay ransom after paying everything else it takes to live today? All dogs do is love you, they don't talk back, I think they are better than many humans. This dog never deserved this. Shame on society...

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
not that im agreeing with the actions taken, but why does an unemployed person who doesnt have 180 dollars keep a pet dog?

I was wondering this, myself.

As a non-dog owner, I'd be pretty ticked if my taxes went up because dog owners can't keep track of their pets.
of course, from where I sit that's not terribly different than all the taxes I spend on welfare and prison systems...

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

because when times get though you don't kick out a member of your family, esp when times are though you rely on your family and are close to each other for comfort and support(yes a dog is a member of your family if you actually care enough for the animal).
It is not too expensive to properly keep an animal, how much for a bed, spay/neuter, daily food? not a whole pile to be honest. plus we don't know exactly her financial state, she could have had to pay bills and is just after running out of money and may not have more until the following week.
I am unemployed and I have no problem in keeping my dog, he sleeps in the same room as me, he always has food/water and gets his vet checks and vaccinations every year, he is also neutered and most of all he is a loved member of my family. I would not have that money to pay up in 7 days let alone 24 hours. its not all about how much money you have but how you manage it.
ps. I am not attacking you, its for anyone who might not understand why people have pets if they are not in the workforce.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join