It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs killed over unpaid fines:

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
s30.postimg.org...
edit on 20-4-2015 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I think it is telling that lower income people are really the ones who suffer here. 24 hours notice to come up with $180.00 pointedly targets those in a certain economic demographic. They are less effective at fighting back which works for gaining revenue.

Also, people don't have much sympathy for the poor. They just say something like "Well, if you can't come up with 180 bucks on short notice you can't afford a dog". Which isn't true, but this sort of rhetoric is inherent to many "Animal Rights" groups. There is something intrinsically elitist to so much of their rhetoric. It's just sad and mean.

Win, win as far as so many people are concerned. The city gains revenue by strictly penalizing and over enforcing minor infractions and the poor will stop keeping animals, cause, you know... Poor people shouldn't have anything but the barest necessities anyway and companionship is a luxury.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I have been thinking about this sad.....Sad story. The owner is at fault also....If you can not pay this tiny amount of money you should not own pets. Vet bills,emergencies,food,medicines,toys are all needed for a healthy pet.

That being said this pathetic shelter and it's cruel employees should still be ashamed......No one was kind or compassionate enough to suggest surrendering the pets and letting other people adopt them. Or just paying the fine and helping the owner figure out a way to keep the pets happy and healthy.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
A local poor woman when asked why she was driving on a suspended license and was mad because her car was impounded " her reply was I have 4 speeding tickets and I can't afford to pay them now they took my license and my car that ain,t right!!" When the reporter asked why she didn't slow down so she wouldn't get tickets they reply was "Yall the same!"

One thing to be poor another to be poor and stupid!

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Yup reason why cases can't be treated like black and white. Some people walk in to the fire on their own others are thrown in by no fault of their own.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
A local poor woman when asked why she was driving on a suspended license and was mad because her car was impounded " her reply was I have 4 speeding tickets and I can't afford to pay them now they took my license and my car that ain,t right!!" When the reporter asked why she didn't slow down so she wouldn't get tickets they reply was "Yall the same!"

Killing a dog and not being able to drive are not in the same league........Apples and oranges. It is hard to imagine trying to compare these.........Ya I do not see it.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

Who is more dangerous, the person who gets caught speeding 4 times and loses their car, or the person that continues to speed and gets to keep driving despite that because they have money?

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

but when its dinner time and you eat or the dog eats... sorry but 99% of people will feed themselves first because a human life is more important. tough.

Guess I'm not part of that 99%. I had a time a few years back after two roommates ditched out on me and I couldn't afford food...my dog never once didn't have food.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There are many nonprofit organizations that help with financial aid for pets. (CARE, Humane Society, etc..) Being poor doesn't mean the end of the world for their pets, they just need to take advantage of these organizations to help them out.

Now, I don't know if they would've been able to help this lady pay that fine, though. But it's always something to look into.
edit on 20-4-2015 by texasgirl because: spelling

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

California resident Gerilynn Aflleje was horrified when her 4-year-old Siberian Husky mix was killed by a local animal shelter over $180 in fees that she couldn't afford.

Her dog, Chunk, had been dropped off at the Stockton shelter after getting lost in 2013, she later explained at a city council meeting. When Aflleje discovered her dog there less than a week later, she said the shelter demanded $180 within 24 hours for storing Chunk.

Unemployed, Aflleje couldn't get the money in time. "We didn't only lose our pet. We lost a family member," she said.

In a number of cities across the country, animal control agencies are aggressively going after pet owners with big fines for small violations. Some hold people's pets until they settle their bills, even if it means they end up killed. Others leave the dogs alone but issue arrest warrants for owners who can't pay up.
money.cnn.com...

This is getting rediculous if a city,state need money for basic stuff..then raise freaking Taxes! the police are becoming de-facto tax collectors they pick on weakest members of society while doing away with the estate Tax for really rich folks..they need to stop that ish now!

Outraged pet owners and animal rights attorneys say these harsh tactics are all about generating money and unfairly impact low-income Americans.

Just one slice of pie of kidnapping, extortion and execution typical in our modern society all for the green devil in your wallet.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Just one slice of pie of kidnapping, extortion and execution typical in our modern society all for the green devil in your wallet.

Sad isn't when that green devil commands more respect than life itself.....

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Power, control, and money. That's what it's all about. I wonder how many pets they took from yards. There is no excuse for this. They could have released the dog to the owner, and allowed her to pay the bill over time. They could have charged a reasonable fee. Animals do get loose. Some dogs can slip a chain. Some can get through a fence or gate. Things happen.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Power, control, and money. That's what it's all about. I wonder how many pets they took from yards. There is no excuse for this. They could have released the dog to the owner, and allowed her to pay the bill over time. They could have charged a reasonable fee. Animals do get loose. Some dogs can slip a chain. Some can get through a fence or gate. Things happen.

Yes they could do all the above but that would not work if you are trying to extort money from pet owners.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Sorry but this is a matter of economics. If you can't afford to properly care for a dog, don't take on that responsibility. Why was it in animal control if not? You can't put the burden on tax payers because these idiots can't be responsible. What should they (animal control) do? Have society pay for dogs they don't have any connection to? No thanks. Pay for it out of their own pocket? Send it back to be mistreated or neglected again? Let it lose on the streets?? It's the owners fault, plain and simple. If you're so upset, start adopting or build and pay for your own shelter. There are real issues out there, like cops murdering citizens on a weekly basis.

edit on 21-4-2015 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

Pls check the link, you may think differently after hearing their stories.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879if i killed a foh because owners owed me money i would go to jail for animal cruelty why the double standard

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: Spider879if i killed a foh because owners owed me money i would go to jail for animal cruelty why the double standard

[/quote
whatza FOH??

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
So who's going to put Al Sharpton down because he didn't pay his taxes? How many others in government are behind? Are they going to be put down too?

Who in the world thought this was even remotely ok? Do we put children down when their parents can't afford that emergency room bill?

Just because they can't talk, it sure as hell doesn't make it alright.

This pisses me off to the extreme. What kind of society kills living creatures because they owe money??

I don't even.... Disgusting. Horrific. Medieval. I could go on. This makes me absolutely sick.
edit on 4/21/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: scoobyrob
a reply to: Biigs

because when times get though you don't kick out a member of your family, esp when times are though you rely on your family and are close to each other for comfort and support(yes a dog is a member of your family if you actually care enough for the animal).
It is not too expensive to properly keep an animal, how much for a bed, spay/neuter, daily food? not a whole pile to be honest. plus we don't know exactly her financial state, she could have had to pay bills and is just after running out of money and may not have more until the following week.
I am unemployed and I have no problem in keeping my dog, he sleeps in the same room as me, he always has food/water and gets his vet checks and vaccinations every year, he is also neutered and most of all he is a loved member of my family. I would not have that money to pay up in 7 days let alone 24 hours. its not all about how much money you have but how you manage it.
ps. I am not attacking you, its for anyone who might not understand why people have pets if they are not in the workforce.

a member of the family can get a job, a dog is a dog, if you cant afford to keep it you ask a friend/other family member to look after it for you for a bit?

I mean i know people love dogs some times more than people, but when its dinner time and you eat or the dog eats... sorry but 99% of people will feed themselves first because a human life is more important. tough.

KILLING the dog for an unpaid bill from the authority's is completely stupid, once again im not condoning this at all.

That comment leaves me wondering how you would treat a disabled family member who unable to work. Do you send them away at dinner time?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

If i couldnt afford to feed them, care for them and or anything else?

Of course id be looking for alternative ways to care for them!

Also: lost family members dont cause fines and arnt killed if said fines are unpaid (also they would be primarily responsible for the fine not me
edit on b1818940 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join