It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thieves break into underground vault In London- This is Awsome!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If this has already been posted then I may have missed it, and I am surprised Its not on the front page of ATS today.

As far as I can tell the story is still breaking but it would seem that over the Easter Weekend thief's broke into one of London's most secure private safty deposit vaults and may have got away with as much as £200 Million worth of valuables. How they done this is still a matter of speculation, I have read so far that they deliberately started a fire that cut off power to the building enabling them to enter the vault through the elevator shaft and then they some how got through the 18 inch re-enforced steel vault door and emptied out 70 boxes before making their escape.

What I really find awesome is how professional this whole thing seems and the possibility it these thief's could have got their hands on more than just some gems as the users of the vault do not have to disclose the contents of their boxes.

Nice to see the one percent taking a hit!

Some Links for further reading,

Gaurdian
BBC News
Independent
edit on 9-4-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Just makes me wonder what they were really after many of the stolen items will be hard to fence. Which makes me wonder if there was not something else they wanted. It was a major investment by someone to pull this off.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

This is a remake of what Albert Spaggiari did back in 1976.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The article I read said that most of the boxes they hit contained diamonds owned by smaller stores that were kept there for safekeeping. Wouldn't be hard to move those at all, and what I saw suggested that most of the haul is probably already out of the country.

@ otherside - I didn't see it in your OP but I saw where they actually tripped an alarm at one point and some sort of security unit arrived but never went beyond looking around outside the building. They didn't see anything so they left. Crazy!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

If I were to assess
May be you need more practice..
They say feed the hungry
For they shall steal but theyre not angry.

Keep Safe!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Well...

Bloody hell! I cannot remember the last time I heard of something this sophisticated being pulled off. I mean, you hear of armed raiders making off with huge amounts of loot on occasion, but this is the most Bruckheimeresque thing I have been made aware of, to happen in this country, for a very, very long time.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That is exactly why i was surprised this hasn't been posted yet, it happened at the weekend.

Really interesting story.

Just think of the stuff that those people could have been keeping in those boxes!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Two hundred million pounds is what is being claimed, I suppose that could account for gold and rings, possibly some interesting collectibles. But what about the bearer bonds? How much was in there in on demand bearer bonds? Half a billion, a billion, more than a billion?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have only one thing to say...

"Go Go Gadget Robbers!"

And...Yay!

2 things. So sue me.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This has MI-5 written all over it, i wouldn't be surprised if some foreign official had some documents/intel stored in one of the boxes.....

the fact that this happened last weekend and i have heard nothing about it pretty much confirms some kind of stolen secrets are involved... nobody likes to admit they lost sensitive info and 5 will never admit to taking it

edit on 9/4/2015 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke
Is that what the movie "The Bank Job" is based on as soon as I saw the OP that's what I thought of

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
They do have all those new heist updates on the video game "grand theft auto 5" that came out recently.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Stealing is awesome huh?

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Police claim the thieves hid in one of the offices until security left for the weekend - which makes sense - but then they mention all the heavy duty equipment they brought along, including a DD350 coring drill (which is a beast):

It really makes you wonder how they got all that into the building without attracting attention. Based on the scant info in the press, it seems this would have been done while the building was open with tenants coming and going. All that equipment would have to hidden somewhere until the thieves were ready to make their move. The police have to be very suspicious one or more of the tenants are involved in this caper.

Meanwhile I'll be waiting for this to be turned into a Jason Statham actioner.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Here is the link to the Holborn fire thread, which I suspected was suspicious.

Apparently stumason was helping fix it, perhaps he could throw some information on the tunnels and if they might have been used.

They did it over the bank holiday weekend and started on Friday, suspicions are it was an inside job as the premises weren't broken into.

Some people have been watching a lot of Oceans' 11 movies.

There are a lot of annoyed people as the authorities have kept them waiting all week and not telling them if their deposit box was raided.

The area is a jewelers stronghold and an estimated £200m was taken, mostly in diamonds.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 9-4-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well I'm in the UK at the moment and I didn't even hear about it. This seems like a major heist. Who knows, perhaps it was carried out by secret service looking for something in particular, and took more to make it look like a heist.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ph03n1x

It has been on UK news all week though as for MI5, I wouldn't be surprised, especially seeing as they are being cagey about information on the specific boxes.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
Stealing is awesome huh?

I despise baseball. I can still appreciate the rarity and awesomeness of a triple play.

Don't understand rugby at all, can still appreciate the brutality and athleticism of it.

Appreciating somebody pulling this level of a caper off (so far) isn't the same as condoning it

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6
The first two things you appreciate aren't crimes, but the last one is. Putting positive power behind bad deeds is no good for anyone in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
Stealing is awesome huh?

Only when you get away with it.

Getting caught? Not so awesome.

Jude11

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join