It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Missouri has a lot more cattle than average state so it would make sense that beef there is cheaper.

Here's a link listing the prices of steaks in Missouri (provided by daskakik)
www.ams.usda.gov... (page 5)

Many options under $5.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
After reading this thread most of last night then my reply I didn't get a chance to play catch up till now but that's not the point. So it just happens today, I went a little shopping. I forgot it was "Shopping Tuesday" I have Shopping Tuesday at one store and Shopping Thursday at another and what ever might come up the rest of the week.

I'm doing my usual up this isle down this one crossing off stuff of my list. I have a savings card some coupons. I pull out the EBT card, a gasp was heard. Now I"m not sure if it was coincidence but I assume some one has read this thread who caught me at the store. And they started bitching about some of the products in the cart. Mind you I just don't give two @#$%'s, I have a list, I get what is on the list. "That Ham is 20 freaking dollars! You fking cheating scum-bag! I pay for that with my taxes! You should put that back! Go get a freaking job! " Started bitching more about some soft yellow cookies (lofthouse) in the cart. I looked at him and I smiled. I could not help it. I mean it seemed funny, here I am reading this thread last night.

So I replied honestly "First of all it is none of your business what I buy how I eat or anything thing like that. But that ham. Yes it's 20 dollars but I'm going to take my deli slicer to it. I'm going to get about 20 lunches. This part is going to be thinker for eggs and ham, about 7 10 breakfasts, and the rest cubed up for stew and soups. The cookies first time I would have seen them in the kitchen in at least 2 years, I thought it would be a nice thing to have. I don't need to explain the rest. " I looked at the clerk and she shook her head and smiled. She knew who I was. She new what I was doing as well.

The guy was bitching to the people behind him about the bags I was putting in my cart. I saw one guy smack his own face like oh god why now? but I saw under yup know him. He knew what I was doing but the others didn't and mentality of some must follow along and they started bitching about food rights. As I was getting the last bag into the cart, the guy had the nerve to tell the clerk to call the manager to stop me from leaving. I was stealing from the people. At which point I said go ahead but the clerk stopped me from "continuing the confrontation"

"This guy you're bitching about shops for disabled and elderly people. He cuts the meats up, separates meals for them. Helps them with their house hold needs fixing things." and tells the guy what I do. He started bitching about it all over again, and he was asked to leave the store. Doesn't bother me one way or another what someone thinks of me I know who I am and what I do. So sometimes when you see some one making a purchase of these types of Items, mind your own business.

I got back to the home and started putting things away, and I told my friend what happened I giggled and she said she was sorry that happened to me. She will have someone else go shopping but I refused I told her I wasn't bothered by it, that it was funny What I was reading last night today. Sad part is this lady who lived through the depression of 32, got married and husband went to fight WWII, years later she and husband were in China ( hongkong ) during the Korean war. After that during Nam they helped family and friends / wifes of men lost in that war. When he retired they still helped out other people, then he passed away leaving his wife ( my friend ) a mound of debt, but she pushed through it. She never had kids because of the things she saw in life, didn't want her kids to see things like that. I give her everything and anything she wants because she deserves it. Tell her she can't that ham or one of those yellow cookies makes you look more of a fool then you already are , she has done more for this country then many of you bitching piss-ants have. And that is just one of 3 I help.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Actually that money is mine

That's so funny. If it's yours why don't you request it back, and see what happens. (smirks)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

You are freakin' kiddin' me! I would have dialed 911 and filed charges on his sorry ass for harassment, or public nuisance, or stalking, or something. What an utter fool.

I am SO sorry that happened to you, But you are taking it well!
You didn't owe him an explanation for the ham, cookies, or anything else. What a sick puppy.

See, this is what worries me, though. Blind hatred. Oh dear.
edit on 4/7/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Because apparently people are hateful. Hateful, as in "full of hatred". And controlling. Blindly searching for people they can feel somehow superior to. Sinking pretty low already -- to have to seek out people having problems such as those needing help buying food. Kicking people when they are down. It's becoming a sport.

What worries me about some of these comments, is the frenzy it could stir up. I'm serious. People grabbing groceries from recipients in the parking lot screaming "I paid for that" and such. It's troublesome. Yes, I'm really concerned about where all this fury might lead.

It's just the way people are. I've gotten the lectures while in line in the grocery store, all it made me do is use the self checkouts. I've had people follow me home and berate me, then put a rock through my living room window to "teach me a lesson" for being a leech and "stealing" his tax dollars because what I bought didn't meet with his approval. For that matter, I remember after reading one of these threads here it bothered me so much I couldn't bring myself to eat for 3 or 4 days until I realized that it didn't really matter what I was or wasn't buying. Some people just like to find fault with others, it makes them feel better about themselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

I can see the fellow being concerned over abuse of the system, and there IS abuse of the system. However, placing limits on what can or cannot be purchased seems like a poor way to resolve the issue. Better would be to remove the system abusers. For example, I have a relative that was collecting food stamps to get by, while working a low-paying job, and still unable to afford enough to eat. While waiting to be checked AGAIN for eligibility (white single male), he had to listen to a non-white female talking on her expensive cell phone about drug deals, and also to her bragging about how she was going to get increased benefits and how easy it was for her to do so. When he reported this, those working there did literally nothing to even investigate. How many like her are collecting food stamps? Yet this guy wants to control what foods people buy? Good grief; steak can be cheaper than ground beef these days, depending on the sales!! Seafood is supposed to be a healthy option. Fresh vegetables are not cheap. Soda? Cookies? Why does he care? He can''t buy those? Either we want to feed those in need or we don't. Either we hand out actual food, or we allow the to choose what they want to eat. Charity doesn't mean running someone's life.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Oh no. I had no idea this crap was already happening. I'm Absolutely sick.

When someone behaves that way you must cross them off as being a seriously damaged/deranged person. A scary person. I'm just not sure how much I would tolerate before I quietly locked myself in my car and called police. Would that be a wise thing to do.... or not? It has to be harassment at the least, doesn't it?

My first reaction was to be angry and indignant, but now I'm just scared. Of where this could go, or where this is.

eta: or talk with the store manager, and indicate you need some assurance of your safety while you are shopping in his store? I mean, they might need a security guard. Apprise him you otherwise you might have to take your business to another grocer?
edit on 4/7/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

If your on food stamps in 2015 you cannot afford to purchase those things on food stamps anyway... unless your making the cookies from scratch - which is possible - or if your going out and catching the lobster from the ocean yourself, which is very unlikely..

For two adults on full food stamps in 2015 they give 82 dollars a week.

According to the USDA in 2010 a thrifty food budget, mind you this is NOT a luxury or even a moderate food budget, but a thrifty one - buy as cheap as possible ect ect was 347 dollars a month.

So the government is 5 years behind the times, and give you below the amount needed in 2015 to rise to even the thrifty standard, according to the USDA.

budgeting.thenest.com...

So anyone buying lobster who is on food stamps, is eating elsewhere or has another source of food.. because with the purchase of something like lobster, you would have to go a couple days without food to make up for it...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Well thanks for the thumbs up, I take it go GF is for go Good Fella
I have been watching my temper the past few years with bungholes like that. A few years ago I would have waited and followed him to his car or met him in the back alley. But my violent days are over and learned to keep calm.

It's kinda humorous to see faces once in a while if I'm doing shopping for all 3 in one day juggling 3 different cards, minus my own which is only on me for my shopping.

Once in a while my elderly lady female friend wants to go into the store with me so she can see what is new and exciting. I have actually heard " he's doing it for the money" In which she will say I'm broke as hell he's doing it for my looks. I'll just give her a hug and we continue shopping. She shocked me once when she "accidentally " grabbed my privates and told someone that this is bought and paid for. She told me later she was lost control of her arm.

------
To Others I may answer before asked, Yes I have called local DHS about this, Yes I can shop for them. I use their card, give their card and receipt back. I only get the satisfaction knowing that someone is helping them.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Well thanks for the thumbs up, I take it go GF is for go Good Fella
I have been watching my temper the past few years with bungholes like that. A few years ago I would have waited and followed him to his car or met him in the back alley. But my violent days are over and learned to keep calm.

Yes! Good Fella! lol! I went back and removed that, after doing a double take at your post. I shoulda left it. 'Cause you are!

I tend to blow a fuse at times when someone keeps yapping about something they are clueless about.

But you do well to stay calm. As my ex once said to me "now ladyinwaiting, you can't be very dignified if you are giving someone the bird. LoL!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Besides...i would hardly call steak a "luxury food". Center cut eye of chuck...a very tender and flavorful steak...costs about $2.50 per serving. Not much of a luxury item....

Tri tip, sirloin/sirloin petite, round, chuck, flank, and skirt are all fairly inexpensive cuts of steak that in no way are luxury.

I agree with you about steak not necessarily being a luxury food.. round steak is great if you tenderize it to death and then bread it (turning it into country fried steak) or if you marinate it to death and thin slice it you can turn it into fajitas, throw together some homemade tortillas for next to nothing and you have a good meal..

you can also pick up stuff like round and skirt steak in the morning in the "managers special" you just have to either freeze it immediately or cook it immediately either one.. and this day old meat special becomes real cheap food..

you just have to know how to cook these tougher cuts... brisket is the same way, you can often pick stuff like that up fairly cheap if you hit that managers special.. which means about to go bad.. lol..

These are all considered steak, and some people might consider a country fried steak or fajitas or brisket luxury food I guess, but i think that is because they don't know how to cook it, including the cost involved... they only know how to eat out...
edit on 7-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

When someone behaves that way you must cross them off as being a seriously damaged/deranged person. A scary person. I'm just not sure how much I would tolerate before I quietly locked myself in my car and called police. Would that be a wise thing to do.... or not? It has to be harassment at the least, doesn't it?

Calling the police for anything ever is a very poor idea, unless you want someone to come away from the encounter in a body bag. That has nothing to do with being poor, and everything to do with the police being bloodthirsty and untrustworthy. They're just as likely to make the person back down from harassment as they are to find some childs pet dog that's in a car and shoot it. I wish I was joking about that.
edit on 7-4-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Reading your post made me feel a like I wanted to vomit. People are so messed up. You're a great person and I'm glad to hear someone stood up for you. Keep doing what you're doing, you're a hero in my book.
edit on 4/7/2015 by Puppylove because: Grammar and Spelling

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

That's so funny. If it's yours why don't you request it back, and see what happens. (smirks)

I think since I pay taxes.. a lot of taxes I would have a say one way or another as to what that money is spent on. If my say is in a vote for one who can actually control it then that is my say. Its not free money, someone has worked for that money to be offered freely to another.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Most of the people who are on food stamps that pay taxes themselves. How dare they benefit from a government program they've paid into when it's needed, shame on them.

My biggest issue is all you people that have this seriously screwed up idea that the people on food stamps are not, have not, and do not pay taxes the same as you.

Most people on food stamps are not getting free food, they've paid taxes just like you do and have fallen temporarily on hard times. They've PAID for the program, so it's their money too, since well they've contributed to the pool.

Why do you all keep insisting it's your money, it's not, it's our money, and the people benefiting are most of the time contributors same as you.
edit on 4/7/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Its not free money, someone has worked for that money to be offered freely to another.

Why do some people keep forgetting that many food stamp recipients have worked and paid taxes for many years?

Also it's not like you are paying much for food stamp.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Beef is not "crap".

Never said it was...

Food stamps...tax breaks...subsidized food is subsidized food. Right? I only wish it were actually so. Since cotton is heavily subsidized, we could rid ourselves of pants that are worn too low.

We can go the other way then...why limit booze, drugs, cigs paint etc?

The bottom line is many are on subsistence programs because they will never do anything in life to get off of those subsistence. Health, or lack of, is a big part of that. What is causing much of those health issues is self induced in many cases, whether weight and other related health issues. So are pants warn too low a health issue that creates more subsidies to take place? I think without suggesting extremism we should be able to decide what can or can not be bought with food subsistence.

Is that really a bad thing?

When I was in the military I had an Government issued credit card, why shouldn't I be able to buy whatever with it even when I pay the bill...

edit on 7-4-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

It left your hands and entered the hands of the gov , Not your money any more.

But if you trully believe that it is and you don't like the way that works for EBT and such just pretend your tax money goes to a missle or something. Those things cost way more then what a household could get a year with help for food. and when used properly they could stop hundreds at a time from eating "luxury foods"

You could also say you know what MY taxes helped that starving family down the street they didn't abuse the system they just happen to have bad times right now.

Better yet-
Go down to the local DHS office. Choose a family and tell em "You are now my adopted family! I pay for your food through taxes, I will now by the food for you with your card!" Help them learn how to eat properly, how to properly buy things with the EBT card. Help them get a paycheck and or better paycheck. So they are not getting any help anymore.

Sound stupid to do that ... so does saying it's your money. It's not , it's the governments. If it were truly yours it would not have left your check in tax forum.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Why do some people keep forgetting that many food stamp recipients have worked and paid taxes for many years?

Also it's not like you are paying much for food stamp.

My point is since it is taxes then there should be a say in how it is used...

many food stamp recipients have worked and paid taxes for many years... Not sure if many is the correct word... I would say some....

I'm sure there are cases where a family goes from 50k+ paying taxes to food stamps, but I would also suggest they use they subsistence wisely.

The many are people who will never make enough to pay taxes except for sales tax...

edit on 7-4-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Maybe you need to rethink your post?

www.cbpp.org...

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join