It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Again the smaller government crowd advocates more government control.

How exactly did you reach that conclusion?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Single mother of 3.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They shouldn't be given the "fine things in life" on the government's dollar. They should be provided basic sustenance until they acquire the means to enjoy luxury foods on their own merit. If you're providing the "fine things in life" to people for free, what incentive is there to actually earn those things?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

Ok then that makes sense.

I think FS should be for people that are in the no-man's land economic zone. You make just enough to pay the rent,gasoline and utilities but not enough to feed 3 kids and yourself. Or you are in school and work fulltime your job sucks and offers no schedule flexibility at all and you make just enough to pay the rent,gasoline,utilities etc.

I went though that with my family and its not fun at all.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: moonleaf

Appeals to emotion and strawman arguments are a poor way to present your position.

So, 1/4 of the men and women that currently fight for and serve our country are not entitled to an occasional good meal of their choosing?

I don't know about "entitled," but they recieve benefits for food. Honestly this example is no different from any other person, except for the fact that you've tried to use emotion to support your argument. Furthermore, can you define a "good meal?" Any problem you have with the compensation of those in the service is not within the scope of this thread.

They fight for our freedom but you want to take away their freedom to chose what to eat for dinner?

I'm not going to dignify this poor excuse for an argument with a response. I'm just going to say that not only are you misrepresenting my position, you are invoking emotions to support your own. Both are fatal flaws of debate.

edit on ppm430363204 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Give them a job then. They can buy the luxury items with the money from the job.(smartphones service,cable,internet,restaurant meals, alcoholic beverages, car repairs/insurance,student loans payments)

That would be fair for both parties.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I can only speak from personal experience.
Two of my brother in laws (neither of whom pay child support) both found themselves in a situation to be living with us.
That was not such a good idea so, we helped them get their own place. A small two bedroom house in town. We paid the rent and utilities. They both received about $200 per month which the local food pantries and we assisted in the shortfall.
The older of the two would not work due to being a "master" carpenter (he really is) and found it beneath him to work for $7.25/hr. The other is a felon.
They are both drug addicts. According to the State of TN, they are doing nothing illegal.
If they had been buying "luxury" food whatever that is to you....I would have been more than upset!
Just my unsolicited opinion of one of my personal examples...

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204

They shouldn't be given the "fine things in life" on the government's dollar. They should be provided basic sustenance until they acquire the means to enjoy luxury foods on their own merit. If you're providing the "fine things in life" to people for free, what incentive is there to actually earn those things?

So you think a $150.00 budget per month is "luxurious eating" huh ?

You do understand that EBT runs out after a certain amount of time right ? For me I was eligible for a year this after i had put in thousands of dollars in taxes over a decade at my previous employer.

Never once eating steak did I think "oooh ill never fill out an application again because free steak mmm"

I continued to look for work and got off EBT once I gained employment.

You are ignorant !

Steak is beef , beef is not "luxury food" to begin with. As I said earlier why should it matter what they eat ? After all it is on the recipient to make his supply last and if they choose steak it makes no difference. They are eating. That is what food stamps are for FOOD!

Luxury food > cop out

Seriously our country is over run with corruption , cops execution of unarmed civilians , mass surveillance , our rights eroding away and some are bitching and moaning because poor people eat a certain cut of meat ?

WOW just umm wow that is pathetic

Meanwhile bankers get bail outs and nobody cares

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I don't know....what is my incentive to work my ass off?

Like i mentioned: since farms/ranches are so heavily subsidized by the government (thus keeping prices down for us)...should those tax dollars give me a say in what everyone else gets to eat?

We all pay taxes. Our voice on how those dollars gets spent, however, stops at the voting booth. If not, then I want to keep my money from going to the military....tell me where to sign up for that.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204

They shouldn't be given the "fine things in life" on the government's dollar.

Oh the money belongs to the federal government does it ? Where do you think that money comes from ?

Me the taxpayer , the guy that puts in 60 hours a week and pays taxes. And if I should ever lose my job for whatever reason I think im entitled to a steak dinner damnit !

I think I should eat a healthy iron rich T Bone rather a pb&j sandwich while my taxes are spent on bombing arabs and lining some lobbyists pockets while he tells me what I can or cant eat.

I think that is fair to all

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

When did I say that. Please provide specifics and be detailed.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DarthFazer

if we are going to deny someone a luxury meal...why not start at the top?

qpolitical.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Unless I'm REALLY confused, I don't see how our taxes could be the ONLY source for the benefit.

If it truly is only .03/day out of MY pocket...that's a little over $10/year?
That would only be over $200 in 20 years? How does that pay $200/month out?

I'm so confused......

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DarthFazer

Although I sort of agree with you,
isn't Peanut Butter kind of good for you?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Truly you don't have a clue. The transaction charges, all with the SNAP/EBT cards are profit to banks that process the purchases. The store owner doesn't get a single cent from that. Typically, that $8 7-11 pizza, will have a $.10 - $.15 transaction fee, sometime there is a %5 fee.

So....your SNAP/EBT card, ever time when used, pays those even banks you hate so much, so you have eat a convenient portion of grease food.

Remember that when you make your purchases using that awesome little piece of magic plastic. YOU are helping the banks continue their cycle.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I do have a say. I am the tax payer that votes.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yeah I know right. Like that splinter that is just too deep to get at. I like being around. To show exactly what the Progressive mindset is all about.

Funny thing, that if I don't have a say, what makes you think that you do?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I didn't say bread lines, now did I?

Anything is better then handing over money to people that can't seem to keep the money they work for.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Because it's just not right that people who receive tax dollars to eat, should be told what they can and can't spend the money on.

You know, the basis of the Progressives.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
Rick Brattin a Republican lawmaker in Missouri...does not want people who get food stamps to be able to eat, steak, lobster, cookies, sodas. He says and I quote "that people are abusing the system by purchasing luxury foods, and believes that that must be stopped, even if it ends up requiring the inclusion of other less luxurious items."

So...poor people according to him should not be able to enjoy a cookie or some seafood etc.

Link to article: www.washingtonpost.com...

What are your opinions on this ATS?

I personally feel that people on Food Stamps should still have the freedom to buy what they want to buy.

Completely get rid of food stamps. If your family cant find a job by generation 3 or 4, then time to fade away. Let the strong survive. Time for the weak to fade, the food supply will thank us, no more need for GMOs.

None of the protesters for black lives matter looked poor.

Cant count the times Ive been in the store, buying food, watching the "poor" use their EBT to purchase # other people cant afford then they waddle out to their brand new BMW or Jaguar.

Americans dont know what poor means. Go to africa, for as long as you can, see it with your own eyes, then come back and we can talk about "poor".

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join