It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204
No one is arguing against food stamps altogether, the argument is whether or not food stamps should provide luxury foods.

What exactly are luxury foods? Some are saying steaks although there are cheap cuts. Others are saying soda although it is cheaper than many other drinks. Cheap cookies, cakes and candy are not luxury items.

It's political BS.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pants3204
a reply to: LDragonFire

No one is arguing against food stamps altogether, the argument is whether or not food stamps should provide luxury foods.

Again the smaller government crowd advocates more government control.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Ok then.

If people on food stamps can't buy "luxury" food then they also don't have to do community service to qualify for food stamps.

Either that or give all people on welfare a manditory paying job(picking up trash, cleaning out buildings,recycling plants,etc)at least 24 hrs-30hr/ week on minimum wage. They do that they qualify for food assistance with no strings attached.
The job pays actual money(not much but something) and gets taxed like any other payroll job. The states then decrease their costs by hiring people to clean up the roads(change trash cans and recycle metals in them),parks,alleys and buildings.

If you want to stop welfare abuse then give them a decent job.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

How?

The most a single adult with no children can get is $198/mo. If you work a certain amount of hours they will reduce it(makes sense though.)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

I have personally paid over $10,000 in Federal taxes and over $5,000 in state taxes in just over the past three years. I can assure you that I received no where near that amount when I had to draw food stamps.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree with you. Here is a quote from the Washington Post article which I think is very telling about Rick Brattin....

"I have seen people purchasing filet mignons and crab legs with their EBT cards," he said. "When I can't afford it on my pay, I don't want people on the taxpayer's dime to afford those kinds of foods either."

He says he can't buy those foods himself on his pay...so he does not want poor people to be able to buy them.

I was sitting here thinking...what if someone on food stamps does buy an expensive cut of beef or some lobster...maybe they are trying to celebrate a special event...like someones birthday or graduation etc.

What does Rick spend his money on? what ever it is, he needs to find a cheaper version!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If your mother is single and gets $400 monthly in FOOD STAMPS, not TANF, then she either has kids, is under 65 and 100% disabled with no income other than disability, or she is cheating the system.

Try to lie to someone else. I do this for a living! I help seniors to apply for Medicaid, SNAP, etc... Most of them that live on nothing but Social Security only get $50 per month.

It is because of liars like you that idiots believe all the BS about public assistance.

It is stigmatizing to be on public assistance.

I have gone into seniors homes and they have nothing but a half loaf of moldy bread on the table and condiments in the fridge and they REFUSE to apply for food stamps because of the stigma that people like you brand them with!

It breaks my heart to see elderly people coming in to our senior center because it is the only meal they are getting that day! AND I BLAME ALL OF YOU ELITIST, CLASSIST LIARS!

I have to talk people into accepting help when they are HUNGRY and cannot pay their bills because of people like you!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Aazadan

Yeah, sure sure. Exactly like what they experience.

Amazing that moronic statements like that get stars.

You're the one that suggested the communist system of giving people x goods per month.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Wait a moment, I am not on food stamp and never has been, also never been on any other government assisted programs, I can not afford to eat lobster or other "luxury foods" if I am to stretch my income.

So how it is that some welfare people on food stamp can do that?

I imagine that if you are poor and on government assistance you will do anything to make the free tax dollars you get last the longer. right?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Should they "know their place" and just not enjoy the good things in life, when bought on sale? I mean...those welfare recipients and their lofty dietary habits have run amok.

I think we should just make it even across the board: everyone has to justify why they are eating what they are eating. I mean, my tax dollars are going to subsidize farmers and ranchers, not to mention the oil companies that provide fuel to transport. With all my tax dollars put in to subsidize everyones food, I think I should get a say in what everyone is allowed to eat.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It is surprising that people are so naive that they can't connect the dots when they see someone pay with food stamps and then drive off in a pimped out ride.

It is even worse when they think that everyone getting assistance is in a similar situation.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
i hear all this nonsense of people on food stamps buying steak, lobster and such but how could that be possible with how little you get on food stamps? $133 on average per month nationwide is not enough unless you know how to use your money right.
i bet most middle class think their financial decisions save money but if you look closer they buy a lot more cheap stuff while ignoring expensive stuff on sale, or of lower quality or just in small amounts, i think they just want to blame someone else for their poor decisions that end up screwing them over, they refuse to see their own behavior for what it is, they don't want to admit the truth that they aren't as good and responsible as they arrogantly declare themselves.

this blame game attitude in america is very dangerous, so many seem to forget what happens to the poor, sickly and disabled when society reaches the end of that road of blame..

first benefits decrease year by year, quality breaks down, abuse becomes rampant, accusations of all kinds are laid out, vital services are cut, many unfortunates are denied assistance and treated like criminals, the rights of the unfortunate are crushed by unreasonable demands from certain laws being passed because peoples accusations, and eventually down the road and quite suddenly, euthanasia by an abusive uncaring system in an uncaring nation of greedy people only thinking of saving money, forced labor, human experimentation, and extermination.

keep it up america and history will repeat, i bet when this happens the people will blame others for it still and their foolish greed will be laid bare for their descendants, then who will be there to help you or care for you? will you turn your back to your own class then too?

a nation is made of people, so start acting like it or it's your own doom.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is wrong all the way in my opinion, controlling people with food stamps is one thing but suggesting what to eat is an entirely different angle on this. I can't count the number of times I have seen "Stewing Beef" priced at $4.99 LB and yet a dozen feet away there are "Top Sirloin" steaks priced at $2.99 LB... These asses are not giving the people on food stamps or in our Country Welfare the credit to actually understand how Grocery shopping works. These jerks in high places and of high opinions all have maids and helpers and I doubt not of them has ever shopped for their own food since College or University.

We have never been on assistance but yes indeed we have been "not well off financially" I know what it is like to stand in line for 2 hours to get 10 LBS of regular hamburger meat on sale for 99 cents a LB. Then stretch that meat as far as it can possibly go for meals.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The same way that you might splurge on occasion and have a steak or something else nice for dinner. People on food stamps may occasionally splurge, but they certainly end up paying for it before the month is over. If they think it is worth it to eat bologna and ramen the rest of the month so they can have one steak dinner, who does that hurt? They receive the same amount of money regardless of what they buy. If you see someone on food stamps eating steaks and crab legs then I can guarantee you they are not eating that way every day unless they have a lot of different identities and all those identities are getting benefits.

The idiot in Missouri was talking about people buying filet mignon with food stamps. Filet Mignon is $5 per steak at Wal-Mart. Why does he care if someone is buying a tiny $5 steak? And how bad is he at budgeting that he can't afford a $5 steak?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Thank you for sharing that story...I am glad you helped that mother and her children.

In society there are some very cruel people who are very narrow minded...and like to invade peoples lives when they are not invited to do so. It is unfortunate...but it happens. I think perhaps that man that approached you was a narrow minded busybody.

Unfortunately too there are some people that think everyone who is on food stamps is ignorant, has never paid taxes in the past and only buys expensive food and/or unhealthy food with their EBT food credit. This way of thinking is not true for a huge majority of people that are getting food stamps.

Many people on food stamps have worked before and paid taxes...became disabled...and/or retired etc. They try to spend their food stamps on healthy food as best they can.

Not everyone on food stamps is an ignorant (scam the system) drug addict...in fact the majority of people are not ...and they do buy healthy food choices with their food stamps.

I grow weary of narrow minded people who lump all food stamp recipients in the same group...it just isn't so.

edit on 2015-04-07T14:11:59-05:00pmTuesdaypm0720154America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: correct word

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
(Pikestaff) you quoted me but the last sentence was what you wrote...I did not say that...I am just saying.
edit on 2015-04-07T14:21:09-05:00pmTuesdaypm0720154America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: (no reason given)

edit on 2015-04-07T14:22:14-05:00pmTuesdaypm0720154America/Chicagopm by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Qa reply to: Pants3204

Did you know that over 25% of military families are currently receiving food stamps? That is 1/4 in case you cannot do the math. So, 1/4 of the men and women that currently fight for and serve our country are not entitled to an occasional good meal of their choosing?

They fight for our freedom but you want to take away their freedom to chose what to eat for dinner?

thinkprogress.org...

www.nbcnews.com...

www.military.com...

So Rick Brattin, they are good enough to die for your freedom but not good enough to have an occasional steak?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Seriously...only a small percentage of food stamp recipients are drug addicts...there are many people on food stamps who are clean and sober...some are working and paying taxes too...some are not working; but have worked and now need help...and many many people on food stamps when they shop for food make healthy choices.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Seriously, where do you get your data from?

Besides, no where did I mention addicts? Users suffice.

Is there a reason why the taxpayer should support people who use recreational drugs, while being too poor to buy food?

I have managed a HUD property in the past. I am well, all too well, aware of what some food stamp recipients do with their stamps, and what they do, period.

I am not referring to those who are upstanding people in trouble who are having a tough time and need a hand. I am all for helping them out. I am not for helping someone whose bad judgement leads them to using what few dollars they have available for drugs.

I also do not condone the use of food stamps for luxury items. If one spents one's money (food stamps) wisely one would be able to provide more food, and be able to afford fresh vegetables. Steak is not necessary. Nor is lobster, nor is filet mignon....

edit on 7-4-2015 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: Boadicea

Thank you for sharing that story...I am glad you helped that mother and her children.

In society there are some very cruel people who are very narrow minded...and like to invade peoples lives when they are not invited to do so.

[snip]

I grow weary of narrow minded people who lump all food stamp recipients in the same group...it just isn't so.

Me too... (she said with a big heavy sigh).

But I do believe this attitude has been deliberately cultivated -- all in an ongoing effort to divide-and-conquer. No one wants to be dependent on others and most are no doubt doing the best they can with what they have. The ones abusing the system are the ones who don't need it anyway and never should have been approved.

If I had my druthers, we would be doing far more to help people help themselves, so that they wouldn't have to put up with this scrutiny and loss of privacy and its stigma and condemnation. Like community gardens, and far more effort to teach people -- starting in grammar school -- how to grow our own veggie gardens, how to shop seasonally (and therefore more economically), how to prepare foods, etc. We could also do more to establish markets (including farmers markets) in "food deserts," providing better access and availability of quality food at affordable prices.

The benefits would go far beyond just monetary... just think of the health benefits of so many people eating fresh organic produce straight from their gardens!

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join