It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

This is where most people in this thread are confused about. People are mad that some people on food stamp buy "luxury" food when they are not.

Exactly. The whole 'lobster' thing has been sensationalized. If we were able to do a survey on how many recipients have bought lobster with those monies.... we'd laugh at the result. I bet if we surveyed 200,000 families receiving assistance, maybe one of them would have bought a lobster. It's beyond absurd. It's an invented issue. The Great Lobster Debate of 2015. The non-event.

Busy-bodies need to stop worrying about what other people EAT for God's Sake, and focus on their own issues. What's it going to be next? REMOVE WHEELCHAIR RAMPS! lol. Seriously. It's a hard hearted bunch of folks.

I've never been a recipient, but whether I see a homeless person, or a person on food stamps, or a person in a wheelchair or whatever, I never lose sight of the fact that "But for the Grace of God, Go I". Life's lessons come in all flavours.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Rise of the SNAP Gestapo.

Sigh. Apparently.

But I promise you guys this. If I see this happen when I'm in the grocery store, I WILL intervene.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

its a non event because its meant to galvinize the working class.

Class warfare. Put the blue collars against the welfare recipients. Its like seeing a couple of big bullies holding 2 people down with a boot to the neck. Instead of these 2 guys fighting their oppressor, they are tricked into fighting each other, while still under the boot of the oppressor.

Our nation has some real issues. Lobster for the poor isn't one of them. And how less than 1/10 of 1% of our annual budget gets spent seems like getting bogged in needless minutia given these real issues.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

And here I thought you and others truly were for laws and such.

Guess just a little bit of theft is okay, so long as it benefits you.

One would think, in times of rampant Govt abuse and waste, people would want a Govt spending money as wisely as possible. Instead, we get people that are okay with such things, as long as it helps put money in their pocket....err EBT/SNAP account.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Yes...much licking of the boots when I point out that your sacred SNAP/EBT card puts money into the wallets of those you bemoan the most.

I don't know if your just a hypocrite or are clueless on this.

And please, please please please, show me where I have stated I am for Corp welfare. I beg you, with sugar and a cherry on top.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Entitled to what exactly? A magic spending card?

Well, since you "grew up here" I guess that you truly understand it then don't ya.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Insurance is voluntary.
N. Korea does this to just about all of its people, as they don't have the freedoms to work.
And, if all things being equal, and the cost is the same, and the goal is to feed people, why all the fuss to instead of handing people a card, they are given the food they can eat.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Rick Brattin a Republican lawmaker in Missouri...does not want people who get food stamps to be able to eat, steak, lobster, cookies, sodas.

...Said the party that screamed "Tyranny" when the first lady made dietary suggestions for the school lunch program

Hypocrisy is the brand of the modern Republican Party.

The GOP loves big government when it comes to legislating their ideological rhetoric...

edit on 8-4-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think its a non-event to a point. There are many working class families who cannot eat as well as someone on food stamps, yet they don't qualify for food stamps.

Once due to having a lower income I was trying to feed a family of 4 on anywhere between 50-70 dollars a week... My kid's called it the soup, soup and more soup period of our lives. I didn't make enough money at that time. point blank, between gas, car insurance, a mortgage that was lower than many rents, phone bill and the basic necessities like toilet paper and cleaning supplies.. that was all that was left for food.. very very little..

yet, I didn't qualify for food stamps. I remember being in the grocery store once after spending hours racking my brain on how I was going to feed us all on the amount of money I had for groceries, and saw someone on food stamps in front of me purchasing items for salad, plus meats and vegetables (things that I could not afford in any way shape or form) she even got a birthday cake (already made and nicely decorated) for her kids' birthday..

Now, when she was able to get the things her kids needed, and I could not, she was not working, and I was, and my kid had a homemade cake and no gifts for their birthdays that year, and hers seemed to get so much more..

I have to admit it rather pissed me off..it was like she was getting rewarded and able to live better simply because she didn't work her butt off..

but in the same breath I have been on food stamps and know for a fact that if all you have are food stamps for food, then it wont really buy all that..it will buy meat and vegies if your careful, salad occasionally, and hit all the sales possible and purchase lots of off brands.. but that is all.. you have to be thrifty about it.

But it is easily understood to me, how it is that someone can be pissed off, when they see someone on food stamps able to eat better than someone who works. although now that i have been on food stamps myself, I will say it is simply poor buying choices on the part of those who make those types of purchases, and most of those people have to hit all the food pantries too in order to get by to the end of the month - which I have also seen some people do.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

they are given the food they can eat.

Why doesn't somebody just hand you the food they think YOU should eat?

Don't like that?

NOBODY DOES.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So, let me get this straight.

A political party, which is supposed to be for smaller Govt, makes a statement about restrictions placed on a Govt welfare program is now Tyranny?

Man, you really had to wrestle with that response didn't you.

I guess, using your logic, that since the party is for less Govt, the Govt based welfare program should run restriction free.

Pretty good on the wordsmithing there. Pretty good in deed.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Ahhhhh because I am not taking money/food from a Govt based welfare program that uses tax payer funds.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

And, if all things being equal
is "ceteris paribus".

In ceteris paribus, people wouldn't need assistance in the first place, or else we would all need it.

Why do you refuse to understand that?
edit on 4/8/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Oh good hell.

You do realize my statement was in direct correlation with the funds instance.

IS that really all you have? a sideswipe attempt at a cute response by using half of my statement?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I like that! Very well put.

The children are the one's who are paying for the poor choices though. My children would LOVE me to buy soda, cookies, cakes, etc but, sometimes we have to make decisions for the health of our kids that they aren't going to like.
You are right though. Some of my friends don't qualify for the benefit. We had an ice storm recently and people were out of power for days. Lots of people lost lots of food. If you had homeowners or renters insurance it generally paid about $500 dollars if you had receipts. If not, well...Food pantry supplies were depleted. There were "emergency" food stamps issued to people who already had that benefit. If you didn't fall into those three categories of homeowner or renter insured or already on the benefit, you were in trouble...
I know I got a little off topic!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

So, let me get this straight.

A political party, which is supposed to be for smaller Govt, makes a statement about restrictions placed on a Govt welfare program is now Tyranny?

Maybe I will just let YOU respond to YOU on the issue...Gov. nutritional guidelines on taxpayer funded school lunches.

The whole thing revolves around the idea that Govt or members in/of the Govt need to tell people what they can and can't eat.

This is America. Govt stay out of my menu and my life!!!!!!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes...Hypocrisy is the brand of the far right
edit on 8-4-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Oh good hell.

You do realize my statement was in direct correlation with the funds instance.

IS that really all you have? a sideswipe attempt at a cute response by using half of my statement?

Isn't that all I needed? The essence?

Ahhhhh because I am not taking money/food from a Govt based welfare program that uses tax payer funds.

Which makes you special. Puts you in charge of what goes into the stomach's of other? You are Macman. Nobody tells you what to do, but the others? Pfft. Let them eat dry beans.

There are some very good minds on this thread, and all these things have been discussed page after page. I don't feel like there is anything whatsoever I can say to you that hasn't been said already by myself, or the other posters. Some of whom have even poured their guts out, telling us they are recipients or have been in the past, why, and describing what that is like. One poster, a recipient, said once after reading a thread similar to this a while back, he couldn't even eat for several days it was so disturbing. Does that make a difference in things you might say here? Or elsewhere?

Your mind is closed Macman. You believe what you believe and nothing is going to change that. Certainly not me. I wouldn't be so presumptuous to think I could.

edit on 4/8/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Entitled to what exactly? A magic spending card?

Micromanage peoples lives. I wasn't expecting it, not from you.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

At what point did I state I was for that either?
At what point did I state I backed the GOP?

School lunches should be left up to the local school district.
And Federal Tax dollars should not be used to feed kids at school.

But, if there must be Govt based Welfare, having a free for all does not equal being against Tyranny. Nice try though. Very clever.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

People not being able to go buckwild with spending of the magical money placed into their magical card actually makes me kind of hungry.

See, I don't rely on the Govt to provide for me. If I did, knowing that it is a basic form of slavery, I know that there are certain restrictions placed. And I also know that bitching about those restrictions is about as ungrateful as it gets.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join