It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay teen can't attend prom wearing a tuxedo; It's against dress code says Principal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Mom says, "The Principals exact words were, 'Girls wear dresses, boys wear tuxedos. That's the way it is.'"

I would LOVE to read a copy of the dress code where it says word for word she is NOT allowed to wear a tux.

The decision is part of the school's dress code and not anything personal, principal Patrick Taylor told The News-Star.

Love's mother, Geraldine Jackson, said Taylor told her faculty members said they wouldn't supervise the April 24 prom if girls wore tuxes.

'That's his exact words. "Girls wear dresses and boys wear tuxes, and that's the way it is,"' she said.

These people need to get their heads out of their rear and grow up! Seriously do they think one girl wearing pants to a dance is going to cause that much trouble? I'm curious, does she wear pants daily to school? Because if the normal everyday wear is pants, how is that any different at the dance? Let's be honest here. It seems the school board president agrees with me and this poor girl.

Monroe City School Board President Rodney McFarland said Taylor's decision was discriminatory and he disagreed with it.

'Banning her from her prom just because of what she wants to wear - that's discrimination,' he said. 'As far as I know there is no Monroe City School Board policy saying what someone has to wear to attend the prom. You can't just go making up policies.'

He said he planned to ask Superintendent Brent to talk to Taylor.

Personally I hope this principal is suspended without pay for a few weeks. Maybe feeling a pinch might get him to wake up and realize he can't make up his own rules as he goes along. If he still continues his games, knock him down a few pegs to teacher, not Principal, or fire him completely. If the School Board president has to, clean out that whole school! No one should bully a teen over their choice of fashion or lifestyle choice. There are tons of straight movie stars who rock a tux on the red carpet, I see no reason why this girl can't rock a tux either!

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would have totally worn a tux to prom had I gone and I am a straight female. I just despise dresses of any sort.

This is ludicrous. Like the whole of society would just break down because girls wore pants or boys wore dresses. Idiocracy indeed.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Looks like discrimination to me.
There's really no harm in what somebody wears.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Me too. The year of my prom a bunch of the girls went in tuxes and I was so jealous 'cause I hadn't thought of it and I was the tomboy of the class too.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I would have totally worn a tux to prom had I gone and I am a straight female. I just despise dresses of any sort.

This is ludicrous. Like the whole of society would just break down because girls wore pants or boys wore dresses. Idiocracy indeed.

I completely agree. I've lost count of the number of women, straight and gay who wore a tux to the red carpet to be fashionable. Heck, one tux had a semi skirt attached! It was pants in front, skirt in the pack! (I'm thinking Whoopie Goldberg???) Yeah her's was more some weird purple and green number, not really a tux though.

But here are some of my favorites.

Diane Keaton made my list because she's finally not wearing a bunch of weird crap that makes you wonder what she smoked before she got dressed. LOL

Angelina Jolie because she is ALWAYS classy!

Carrie Mulligan (sp?) Loved her in Great Gatsby! Wonderful movie! I was worried the book would be good and the movie would fall flat, both were excellent.

Emma Stone, Love this version, very classy, yet wistful too. Hard to do for some. I think she pulled this off.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

What's really funny is that I'm in the Bible Belt and my senior prom was in 1995... They would have had absolutely no problem with me wearing a tux. None.

You would think that if anyone did, they would have, especially back then.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Me too. The year of my prom a bunch of the girls went in tuxes and I was so jealous 'cause I hadn't thought of it and I was the tomboy of the class too.

From the school board president, it sounds like there's nothing in the dress code and the principal is just being a jerk just to be a jerk. I doubt a "talking to" from the superintendent is going to help matters, but I guess we'll see.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I just searched for 'female tuxedo for prom' and saw this this:

Not only is Taylor's decision unnecessary, it's potentially discriminatory.

Personally, I think it's thoughtless sexism to say a young woman can't wear a tux. Women in suits can look great; they've been wearing them for decades. She wouldn't be diminishing the tradition, or the importance, of prom night and it's not like she wanted to wear jeans and a tee and lower the tone.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Schools are supposed to "celebrate" diversity.

So wait, wha?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The fact that any person can be denied entry to a public event because they did not conform to an arbitrary dress code.

PC has gone way too far.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Why is it we continue to hear about these school administrators on extreme power trips?

The same reason bullying is and has been condoned in schools is my guess.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I'm not sure it's PC. Wouldn't PC mean no dress codes at all so as not to offend someone who wanted to wear a pantomime horse costume?

It's counter-PC to have a dress code.

FWIW, I think it's a great tradition to have certain dress codes for certain types of events. Prom nights would lose their significance/glamour if folk were rocking up in Bermuda shirts, rubber boots and pajama bottoms.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I swear, the more and more I hear, the more and more I am convinced that principals have severe cases of narcissism, power hunger, and control issues.

I mean, really, these principals seem to feel the need to have such heavy handed, and often-times over-blown responses to the stupidest things.

I swear, there should be a pyschological eval to be in any position of power. Tho, It would have to be a totoally new system, not the current system to test them, as the system was designed, IMO, but people with the same problems.

Seriously, tho, women in suits can have the same heart-beat intensifying effect, as a girl in a dress can.

Someone needs to throttle these principals, and put them in their place.

Just my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I don't see what the problem with a woman wearing a tux is. I have slightly more problems with a guy wearing a dress, since I think it's being done just to cause a commotion... maybe a guy wearing a kilt though would be fine, maybe that's just my bias.

If they clothes are kept classy, which is the real point of the dress code, then who cares? It's an event to have fun, if the aesthetics aren't seriously disturbed and people are having fun, why worry about it?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Bit wait... what about all those poor persecuted Christians! Their religion demands that they inflict their ignorance on the society around them and if you dare to challenge their "traditions" then you're a Satan-loving intolerant hypocrite and part of the liberal conspiracy gay mafia!

Oh, the poor persecuted Christians must be saved from all these Tuxedo wearing liberal lesbians!

/sarc

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that it is indeed the dress code. I remember once during high school that I spoke to a teacher about just this thing as I wasn't allowed to wear a tank top. She said, "many of the schools policies were drafted in the 50's and have gone through very little, if any revisions".

Some people like to stick to the old way of doing things, no matter how idiotic it may be. If I were them (the students) I'd talk to all my friends and make an impromptu "cross dresser" day where we'd dress up as the opposite gender. I'd go in a dress (pink, with a little bow), the girls in a nice pant suit. I mean, go ALL the way out. Make up for the boys, none for the girls... I'd hate to see the attention that'd get the school!

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Bloody amazing .. far worse problems facing the country and the world .. yet those idiots get worked up over nothing .. never ceases to amaze the monumental levels of stupid displayed over there ..

So what if she wants to wear a tuxedo .. let her .. its supposed to be a fun event for students not an event for narrow minded idiots to show off their stupidity ..

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The whole school should stand behind her and have boys wear dresses and girls wear suits to school one day.

See if there REALLY is a dress code.....

Ah 2 spooky beat me to the cross dressing day advice.

edit on 5-4-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Why would anybody announce that they are going to break the dress code? Just show up on prom night in your tux.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Im sure the militant /terrorist gays will attack on this

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join