It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

I'm sorry that I bring up good points.

I guess you can't think of any good way to address them?

So you are deciding to move along. Fair enough.

If a pedo moved in near me, I would not treat them any differently than I generally do other people. Would I be disgusted by them? Absolutely. Would I roll out the welcome mat? Absolutely not. They have already treated people in ways that reflect the treatment they are going to receive.

I guess you're saying the golden rule doesn't apply to people you view as aberrant.

To each their own.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

AND now we know you can read REALLY small print BRAVO.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 2Spooky4Me

No, society isn't totally civilized now but it is something we should continue to strive towards. What keeps us from getting there? Stupid and outdated beliefs surrounding skin colour, gender, sexuality, able-ism, etc. These problems do not go quietly away. There have been 3 major feminist movements in North America and women are still treated unequally and being paid less. But women would be farther behind than they are today if those movements hadn't ever existed.

Is everyone in the queer community going to agree on activism and movements? No. Participate in the ones that align more with your core beliefs. But doing nothing is the antithesis of progress.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Oh wow, I didn't realize this was tumblr. I don't discuss such things with people like you.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
Just helping you out my friend. LOL!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I feel his suggestion is perfectly exceptable.

It would be a matter of contract law exclusivity with certain organizations.

It may cut into their business profits, but if their deeply held beliefs are really important to them it should be worth it.

It isn't a new idea but for some reason it hasn't caught on. Maybe it hasn't been worth it for them to do.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If there was a business that refused service for whatever reason because of my beliefs, I would simply take my money elsewhere.
I work as a Paramedic and we have only a few restaurants in my district and not supposed to go out of district unless on a call. One of the restaurants asked us to please not come there while in uniform because he (owner) stated it scared diners. I think that is complete BS but we just carried our business elsewhere. The mom and pop Country Grill nearby love having us anyway.

I think it is stupid for a business owner to refuse business to someone because of their belief, or who they are. However as it is their business, I do support their right to do so, and will not cry myself to asleep about it.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

No this isn't tumblr (whatever that means in this instance) but a real discussion. Sorry that I spent 7 years in university studying the history of cultures and what made them what they are today (here's a hint, has to do with equality) but there is no loss with your lack of participation. You've already made it clear that you want progress and society to evolve but without any of the mess or ripples it comes with.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Couldn't figure out HOW to to change until JUST now.
BOX IS MAKING SCOUT MAD,AGAIN!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

No this isn't tumblr (whatever that means in this instance) but a real discussion. Sorry that I spent 7 years in university studying the history of cultures and what made them what they are today (here's a hint, has to do with equality) but there is no loss with your lack of participation. You've already made it clear that you want progress and society to evolve but without any of the mess or ripples it comes with.

Why are you sorry it took you 7 years to get a degree?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That's okay, I had to prove that I did know grammar after getting called out on abberated. LOL!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Forcing businesses to service everyone that walks through the door, and cater to any and all events is ridiculous. That is the same as forcing every consumer to purchase any and all products and services they ever inquire about, regardless if the product or service will serve their needs and tastes, or if they can afford it. What next? Price fixing for everything? Should I be forced to charge the same price to the pain in the ass rich snobs, that I would for a down to earth working shlub like myself?

Saying I will not cater for gay weddings, is not the same as saying I do not serve gays.

Saying I will not cater for bar or bat mitzvahs is not the same as saying I do not serve jews.

Saying I will not cater for a cinqo de mayo party is not the same as saying I do not serve hispanics.

Saying I will not cater for a geisha party is not the same as saying I do not serve japanese.

Saying I will not cater for a circumcision celebration is not the same as saying I will not serve christians.

I could go on and on but my point should be obvious. The idea that anyone should be able to sue someone for not wanting to enter a business agreement with them is absurd to me.
edit on Sat, 04 Apr 2015 22:09:18 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It's my STPUPID FINGERS I know what I meant to say ,I even thought IHAD done so AFTER A PROOF READ!
Stupid busted brain... DON'T hang around Sarin my friends when Chemical alarms go off ,LEAVE.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

No, I'm sorry that other people don't use their educational opportunities to their full potential and maybe study different topics before trying to formulate a lackluster and non-contributory opinion about topics they are not well-versed in.

THAT I'm totally sorry for. 100%

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Silly man. If your business cater for weddings then you cater for weddings. Why does it matter who they are?

Do you advocate the racist baker's right not to make cakes for interracial weddings?

If you (as a baker) promote to the PUBLIC that you make cakes for everyone and any wedding, then that's what you DO!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Exactly. If you say you cater birthdays but then object to a bar/bat mitzvah, that's discrimination because it is still a birthday party. The onus should be on the owners to be clear about who they serve then and not be surprised when their business gets bad press via social media when they decide to make a distinction about who they are going or not going to serve at time of transaction.
edit on 4/4/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I have not seen many businesses make the promise that they will serve every person that walks through the door, or cater to any and all events.
edit on Sat, 04 Apr 2015 22:12:45 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

They do if their door is open and is not a member-only establishment.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I have not seen many businesses make the promise that they will serve every person that walks through the door, or cater to any event.

When you open a business to the public you make that promise.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
According to whom? Are people that open B+M establishments forced to sign contracts stating as much these days? Glad I am a private contractor, and can choose who I work for, and how much I charge them on an individual basis.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join