It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

So you are sorry that people aren't well versed in homosexuality, and you are not sorry that it took you seven years to get through college. Do I have that right?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I have not seen many businesses make the promise that they will serve every person that walks through the door, or cater to any and all events.

There is the matter of WHY you reject them.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

According to whom?

According to you! If you open a business that sell pizza or cakes to the public, you make a promise that you will sell to the public regardless of who they are!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

According to the law. If you live in the US of A there is a combination between the Federal Civil Rights Act (which states "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin") and individual state civil rights laws that say pretty much the same thing except they added additional protections for people with disabilities, sexual orientation, religion, etc that prevents a business from saying no. If you open up a business on a main street of town and don't make clear that only certain people are allowed patrons, you can't discriminate.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but I opened my own business, so I could pick and choose who I work for. If I wanted to be a slave, I would have joined corporate america. Instead I chose to be my own boss, and be a small business owner. I never promised that I would work for anyone and everyone.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I have not seen many businesses make the promise that they will serve every person that walks through the door, or cater to any and all events.

If you advertise to the public soliciting the public for their business that is making a promise to serve the public.

Services are products and if offer/advertise a product to the public it is no different than any other product on the shelf in a store.

The drug store doesn't get to choose who they sell condoms to and it is no different for services.

link   
So it would be fine if they opened and advertised that they only cater to weddings sanctioned by their own religion up front then?

link   
I only read the first page of this thread and it made me think of a story I used to tell when I was a tour guide on the duck tours here in Chicago. Back in the early 1900s there was this restaurant called the billy goat tavern, he wasn't doing a lot of business because of his location, well the republican national convention was in town, and the owner posted a sign outside his restaurant that said no republicans allowed, well the republicans were outraged and they all went down to this restaurant and demanded to be served, I think you all know the fate of this restaurant, cheesborger, cheeseborger, cheeseborger, chips no fries, coke no Pepsi., and then I thought of the memories pizza place in Indiana, $828,000 dollars in donations to the restaurant. Things that make you go hmmmm.
edit on Sat20154V2015251030 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Enochstask

No, I'm sorry that people have false information about sexual orientations. I find the people that are staunchest against it or quick to dismiss are the ones least educated about its causes. I'm also sorry that majority of those people are not exposed to the latest research and discoveries because it can take years, even decades, to disseminate to them because it really is hard to share information with someone whose eyes are closed and ears are plugged.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Ok let's go along with what you say.

Let's say that a bakery have a sign that says:

I will not make cakes for the following weddings:

Jewish
Interracial
Gay
Muslim
Etc.

I will only make cakes for straight Christian weddings.

Think about it for a minute.

And yet you say you are not against those people.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
People turn down jobs they don't want all the time. Back when business was booming, I was turning down up to twenty jobs for every job I would take.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Federal Law doesn't mean anything anymore. If states can choose to ignore Federal marijuana laws why can't they choose to ignore Federal discrimination laws? You can' have it both ways.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask

So you are sorry that people aren't well versed in homosexuality, and you are not sorry that it took you seven years to get through college. Do I have that right?

Sometimes there is a fine line between being a smart arse and a dumb arse.

When in doubt it is wise to not be an arse at all.

link   
Why should I be against them? I am no more against them, than I am against jews who only work for other jews, and yes, they exist. Why should I have a problem with that?

link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
Federal Law doesn't mean anything anymore. If states can choose to ignore Federal marijuana laws why can't they choose to ignore Federal discrimination laws? You can' have it both ways.

There's something called Majority Rule.
edit on 4-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Yes. I would not go to a kosher deli and demand cheese on a kosher sandwich.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Why should I be against them?

Because you open a business to the public making a promise to the public and denying certain people.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maybe these Christian bakeries should treat the public like the Christian shelters and soup kitchens treat their clients, with sermons and a bunch of prayer. Serve up the goods, but put God in the fore front, that will learn them. Maybe all the conversion and such will get them running away to the all inclusive bakery. Perhaps there should be private bakeries that cater to their group only, what ever group that happens to be, then there is no question.

I'm just waiting for the assault to happen to Christian book stores now, their next in my opinion. Why not anyway, when extremist Christians protest abortion clinics, all is fair for the first amendment. Let them protest, won't get them the nice Christian wedding they want anyway, like that is really what they want in the first place.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The only thing I promise is that I will come look at the job and decide whether I want it or not. If I have the time that is. If I am booked, tough luck.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi
People turn down jobs they don't want all the time. Back when business was booming, I was turning down up to twenty jobs for every job I would take.

If you are a contractor of sorts you do go by a different set of rules than a business such as a drug store or pizza shop.

I had a business at one time where I didn't have a physical location open to the public to browse from the shelves or menues. I turned down many jobs.

When I opened a spot to the public and had products I could still turn down jobs but couldn't pick and choose who I sold the products to.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join