It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

You can't end segregation by allowing a small group to their beliefs in order to keep the peace.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Every time this subject comes up and the suggestion is to leave them be and move on to the next I am reminded of.

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"

I am certain that those who are taking businesses to court or making them comply with the law are not doing it so they can shop in that particular store even if and when they win.

In other words, they will not be eating their food.

They are doing it so that the next person or persons that walk through that door will not be discriminated against.

The same thing happened before laws were passed protecting people with disabilities.

It is a big deal now for some but in 10 years or less no one will even think of discriminating against people because of who they love. For the most part people will have forgotten it was ever an issue.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Would a homosexual baker be happy to make a cake for the western baptist church?

Yep tho they probably would think it was a joke or a prank.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Hmm, do you have a misunderstanding? There is no 'anti-gay' businesses that I know of. No such law as well.

Either you see anything that acknowledges Christian rights as an infringement of 'gay rights' or you haven't really looked at the legislation.

The gay community has pretty well gotten everything they've demanded. Still, death threats, arson threats have been forthcoming from the 'compassionate and loving' gay community to businesses that are individually owned which is considered individual rights. They are not corporations which fall under different laws.

You desire your rights to be honored? Then respect the rights of others as well. It's the 'Christian' thing to do.

edit on 4-4-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Makes sense. This is what I was thinking, too. Sad, that there are people using this "No Gays!" thing to move on to "No Blacks!", "No Women!", etc. I didn't want to believe this but you may be right. And this "No Gays!" thing is backed mainly by so-called 'love thy neighbour' religious people.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Would a homosexual baker be happy to make a cake for the western baptist church?

Yep tho they probably would think it was a joke or a prank.
Possibly so but would it be right to say that the Baker is wrong to refuse service based on personal belief?

It has to go both ways otherwise it does not work.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

You can't end segregation by allowing a small group to their beliefs in order to keep the peace.

If you honestly believe that America will ever end segregation...Good Luck.

Also, you completely misinterpreted and skewed my post.

JUDE!!

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Possibly so but would it be right to say that the Baker is wrong to refuse service based on personal belief?

Allowing them to discriminate does not work. The best solution is anti-discriminatory law.

link   
Am I the only one who's surprised there aren't more cake decorating shops OWNED by the gay community??

link   

No, all I am saying is ignoring the issue won't end it. Doing nothing is the same as being complicit.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Gay people ROCK!

embrace our sameness but cherish the diversity.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Allowing them to discriminate does not work. The best solution is anti-discriminatory law.

Discrimmanation will not die out through law, only time and evolution of society will give us that.

If making something illegal would eliminate something there would be no drugs for a start.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Discrimmanation will not die out through law

Unfortunately that is true. However more and more people are starting to accept who other people are.

Maybe one day we will all look back and laugh at how silly the law was.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Discrimmanation will not die out through law

Unfortunately that is true. However more and more people are starting to accept who other people are.

Maybe one day we will all look back and laugh at how silly the law was.

One day but i fear it will be no day soon.

I do not care who you are or who you choose to love as long as you do it.

My children have been instilled with the same values and could not care less about sexual orientation.

I think in a couple of generations it will be better but still with a way to go

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I think just boycott. I would like to see a law that says if businesses choose to discriminate against anyone for religious regions, they should be made to post a LARGE sign in the window that states that they are doing this, to ensure that gays don't come in for service.

That way, all of us straights that support gays will know which businesses to avoid.

Those businesses should fold pretty fast once their stream of customers (both straight and gay) stops coming in.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If it discriminates against a section of society then yes it is wrong

sure there is and always will be a fine line between free speech and discrimination

you wouldn't print t shirts that said women were here to serve man, even allowing for free speech

you wouldn't print t shirts to say non white people are inferior, you judge that as wrong due to public opinion and the back lash you as a person could face. free speech is wrong in that opinion

If the Baptist church asked you to print t shirts saying those US members of the US military will burn in hell due to fags or whatever, you'd understand that as a hate message.

hate is obvious, free speech is a right but when that free speech turns into a hate message instigating hate and oppression of people or sections of society

people who triumph the rights of free speech no mater what the consequences, need to look a little deeper at the harm caused and reason what is acceptable. No one should back the rights of someone to walk into a playground full of young children and be able to shout expletives to them, they are in the wrong, who would back their right to free speech.

a time and place and sensible debate rather than ultimate freedom of thought without consequence or consideration to others.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Marking businesses that object due to religious reasons is too similar to the Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses when Hitler was sworn in as chancelor. That didn't end well.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

edit on 4-4-2015 by ProleUK because: dup post, dont need to read my ship twice lol

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Gay people ROCK!

embrace our sameness but cherish the diversity.

without diversity nothing would change, better or worse.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProleUK
If it discriminates against a section of society then yes it is wrong

sure there is and always will be a fine line between free speech and discrimination

you wouldn't print t shirts that said women were here to serve man, even allowing for free speech

you wouldn't print t shirts to say non white people are inferior, you judge that as wrong due to public opinion and the back lash you as a person could face. free speech is wrong in that opinion

If the Baptist church asked you to print t shirts saying those US members of the US military will burn in hell due to fags or whatever, you'd understand that as a hate message.

hate is obvious, free speech is a right but when that free speech turns into a hate message instigating hate and oppression of people or sections of society

people who triumph the rights of free speech no mater what the consequences, need to look a little deeper at the harm caused and reason what is acceptable. No one should back the rights of someone to walk into a playground full of young children and be able to shout expletives to them, they are in the wrong, who would back their right to free speech.

a time and place and sensible debate rather than ultimate freedom of thought without consequence or consideration to others.

I agree but you are talking as a rational and compassionate person who bases there views on what they believe.

Although I personally agree that what these businesses do is wrong they are doing what they think is right based on there own internal personal beliefs.

To expect anyone to do something that goes there beliefs is wrong.

The customer has the right to choose a business why should the same not be said of the business?

As many have said, these companies will die out slowly as it is not profitable to go against overall public opinion as you will alienate most of your customer base and fold.

Without going into a whole different subject it is commercial darwinism IMO.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join