It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should gay people fight for the right for anti-gay businesses to take their money or just boycott?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well you can't bring up pedophilia in a discussion about homosexuality without mentioning Sharia law when Christianity is also brought up.

I see you. It is probably time to go back to your home under the bridge.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Personally, I only really turn down jobs because I can't get the job done when they need it, or they are indeed assholes lol. I am honest with the people when it comes to time, but I usually don't give a reason at all to the assholes, out of civility. I just say no thanks.

Right you can turn down jobs and lie about why you turned the jobs down. This thread is not about that.

We are talking about the businesses that are already open to the public serving EVERYONE.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

But you see, Christian bookstores aren't pretending to be anything other than what they are. I wouldn't go into a Christian bookstore and demand they order in textbooks on Evolution or copies of the Qur'an.

I have gone into one once, never thought of that. Perhaps they would if they thought it would convert you.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
a reply to: enlightenedservant
Don't you think equating the Civil Rights and Segregation struggle to a segment of society that wants to act in an abberated lifestyle is an insult to the African American community?

Why would I think it's an insult to myself lol. But thanks for caring b/c I know what you meant.

And no, the American Civil Rights Movement wasn't just about African Americans. It was for equal rights period. The 1954 case Hernandez v Texas gave non-black ethnic minorities equal rights. And the 1967 case Loving v Virginia ended bans on interracial marriage. And white women are the #1 group helped and/or affected by Affirmative Action.

Unfortunately the LGBT wasn't officially recognized in many of those cases, which is why they're still fighting for equal rights today. Sorry it took so long to respond, was busy in another thread :p

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

LMAO. I would not be surprised if that's how they wanted to try. I've seen odder methods.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
what about foot fetishists or horse rippers should they fight for the right to party too.........or are you conditioned to be sensitive about the perverts the media deem are acceptable because they dont breed and have high disposible income?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

It's usually the case that a single group becomes the poster for a movement. When the LGBTQ movement started it became more associated with gay men so lesbians joined the feminist movement of the time but even there they were put on the back burner for the white middle to upper class women that became the face of that movement.

Even now, the Equality Movement that is happening is more than just a push for the LGBTQ community but a push for all oppressed groups. That is actually what the "rainbow" flag means. That we all stand somewhere under the flag. However, it is still mostly seen a push for gay rights and marriage.
edit on 4/4/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

LOL I had a Christian give me The Origin of Species book.

But regardless you cannot demand them to give you products or services you want they don't do or have.

That's like walking into an antique store and demanding them to cook you a pizza right away.
edit on 4/4/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Go back home to under my bridge huh? Take it easy princess we are just examining the opposite ends of the spectrums.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I agree. I'm just pointing out that from a public business stand point, they make their business practices pretty clear about what they will or won't do, product they will or will not sell, and that anyone trying to make a discriminatory stance against them is, well, really f**king dumb. But a business that advertises as a bakery or even as a wedding cake bakery can't suddenly turn around and refuse service when they've made every effort to demonstrate they are a public business.

LOL! That is hilarious. Darwin for the win as usual.
edit on 4/4/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

It's usually the case that a single group becomes the poster for a movement. When the LGBTQ movement started it became more associated with gay men so lesbians joined the feminist movement of the time but even there they were put on the back burner for the white middle to upper class women that became the face of that movement.

Even now, the Equality Movement that is happening is more than just a push for the LGBTQ community but a push for all oppressed groups. That is actually what the "rainbow" flag means. That we all stand somewhere under the flag. However, it is still mostly seen a push for gay rights and marriage.

Thanks for the clarification.The 14th Amendment grants equal treatment for all American citizens, so it's a shame these battles still have to be fought. But hopefully the day will come soon enough where people globally won't even believe this stuff was actually debated. Kind of like "flat-earthers".

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

But a business that advertises as a bakery or even as a wedding cake bakery can't suddenly turn around and refuse service when they've made every effort to demonstrate they are a public business.

Another BINGO moment there.

I cannot understand why some people can't understand that.

A Christian bookstore will not sell anti-christian books or books about Evolution so you can't demand them to sell them.
A bakery will make wedding cakes for anyone (read public). They can not refuse that to anyone.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

That way, all of us straights that support gays will know which businesses to avoid.

Thank You, very simple very accurate.

Who you are is more important then how others determine what you are, you are a fellow being.
You are thirsty I serve you water.

WIS

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Ripples is one thing, targeting an individual because of their beliefs that have harmed no one isn't. You claim to have a degree, yet you go on regurgitating the tired old mantra of "women earn less" despite the fact that it isn't true. You spout out nonsense about "ableism", get over it. It's the kind of nonsense I expect to hear from those special little snowflakes over at tumblr, not a real website with people with half a brain.

When it boils down to it, we're all pretty equal. "Institutionalized racism" doesn't exist, neither does the "patriarchy". In fact, we're in fact so damn close to real equality but people like you can't see it because you have to have some form of "injustice" to fight. Well guess what? That injustice doesn't exist except for small pockets slowly dying out on their own.

We don't have to target people because they believe something different that doesn't adhere to us. (I.e. the pizza shop owners.) Our camp is no better than the extreme right wingers that you claim to be against. At least the majority of them aren't sending out death threats to poor pizza owners who dared go against the grain!

And guess what? I could care less about what you think. Your new age feminist ideals are so backwards that you're the exact same type of person the right wing people are.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I'm with you there. I want to live in a world where we don't have to qualify everything. An interracial couple is instead just looked at and called a couple. A marriage is a marriage whether same or opposite sex the couple. I'm a firm believer to get there we need activism and education, social movements and open discussion, and a willingness to accept that people are different and to appreciate them for it.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 2Spooky4Me

Wow. I wish I grew up in the cushy little sheltered bubble you did. Ignorance must be bliss, eh? I wonder what that's like.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The way the title of this thread is phrased completely distorts the issue. Carried to its logical conclusion this could hypothetically result in communities where gays could not conduct the necessary business of life. A wedding cake is one thing but what happens when a salvage company won't tow your car because you're gay or they think you're gay or they think you're a Baptist? Or you can't buy gas or groceries or medicine?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
In your non qualifying world would you recognize a woman that that wants to marry her cat? Would you recognize that union?

edit on 5-4-2015 by Enochstask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I'm with you there. I want to live in a world where we don't have to qualify everything. An interracial couple is instead just looked at and called a couple. A marriage is a marriage whether same or opposite sex the couple. I'm a firm believer to get there we need activism and education, social movements and open discussion, and a willingness to accept that people are different and to appreciate them for it.

We'll get there. I think about how much progress we've made just since my parents were kids. They didn't go to a racially integrated school until they got to college. Now most people literally don't even think about that stuff. I think it'll take another 2 generations before no one even notices anymore.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I talk to my mom about it often because she was 7 years old when interracial marriage became legal in Canada. She told me it seems so weird and farfetched that it was ever illegal in the first place. It happens with each generation that we grow to accept things our parents couldn't and even our kids will someday look to our attitudes on certain topics and we'll be the old-fashioned traditionalists.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join