It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US police kill more citizens in 1 month then Brits do in 100+ years

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Truth is, people shouldn't have to carry to protect themselves, in a civilised society, the police take care of your protection.

Forgive me for quoting only a small portion.
I felt it important though to mention, that though our police may represent themselves as being here "to serve and protect, they don't necessarily say who they are serving-or who they are protecting; and in many cases, it isn't the average citizen, but more-so, those with money and influence, Gov't, Corporations and such.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ex_MislTech

US police have been trained to see citizens as cattle to be hit killed electrocuted

And overall treated with disdain

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
Bad analogy. British Police don't carry guns, and American police seem to have a "Shoot to Kill" policy in recent years, rather than a "Shoot to disarm or stop".

I remember when it was a real rarity to even hear of a police officer drawing their weapon over YEARS of service, now it seems to be an every day occurrence.

As a retired 830.1PC (advanced POST / training officer / detective), there has never been "shoot to kill" training or policy. There is only reason to use deadly force, for both sworn or civilian... "to stop" imminent threat of GBI (great bodily injury) . Period. This includes shooting fleeing felons, in the back if necessary, if they represent a clear & present danger to the community.

Shooting to "disarm", besides against department policy, is illegal.. and can get you prosecuted for ADW, or attempted mayhem. Or, for sworn, assault under the color of authority.

BTW, when someone is shot dead, either officer involved or Joe citizen, it's investigated the same: as a 'homicide'... and reviewed by the DAs office. The only statement an officer willingly gives to superiors / homicide detectives: "I reserve my 5th amendment rights to remain silent". The officer must give a statement upon being "ordered" to do so, or face insubordination... however, anything the officer is ordered to say, is outside Marinda & cannot be used in court.... but can be used to administratively.

I worked in an urban ghetto & drew my gun multiple times a day, perhaps in Mayberry its rare.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

. It may come as a shock to you, but England used the American Colonies to ship prisoners for 100+ years before Australia.....
England shipped MORE prisoners to America than Australia, and for a longer period, didnt know that did you?
So no silly comments anymore thankyou.

The only comparison for police killing I could find quickly, was from 2011. (from a 2014 business article).
Police Deaths in the USA for 2011....404.
Police deaths in England..................2.
Police Deaths in Australia................6.
Police deaths in Germany.................6.

Im sure there are many many worse countries out there, as stated Brazil...3 times more than the USA.!!
edit on 5-4-2015 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You think you have won against the state? Such foolish uprisings will only fasten the police state, they'll give themselves the rights to gun down domestic terrorists if they really feel the need to. If they're inner city immigrants - muslims mostly - it'll only make it so much easier.

Makes one wonder if that wasn't one of the reasons why European leadership became culturally suicidal enough to start importing millions of third worlders, many from countries that are involved in what amounts to a cultural and ideological war in opposition with the ideological foundations of Western civilisation. It's just a big ol' powderkeg waiting to explode. Ordo ab chao. Don't think these guys planned for this completely obvious eventuality? The CCTV's are watching.

Anyhow, Western civilisation is dying anyway. I care not if something hastens its demise, it would be a welcome death and a new beginning.

Though I feel for that guy, I have what seems like a permanent scowl on my face, it's my pointy belligerent eyebrows.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ex_MislTech
US police kill more citizens in 1 month then Brits do in 100+ years

Yeah. Those numbers are real.

No, these numbers are NOT real... they're based on "Corporate news reports". Official crime stats come from the FBI, who compile numbers based on "Uniform Crime Report" stats provided by local law enforcement agencies.

Guess what? your local police dept has no mandate to include officer involved shootings in UCR submissions, its voluntary... a small fraction of police depts participate, only if / when they feel like it. Thats right, local cops could kill XX people and report a few / all /none in Federal UCR submissions.

If you've ever seen a complete police report, there are lots and lots of check boxes... depending which boxes are checked, there are many more boxes to be checked, or not.. once done with those boxes, there are more boxes.. these are UCR stats.

You'll never know, nobody will.

..and by the way, people were told this was coming. Back in the day, 1994 in California, the public was warned & advised & told, and told again.. in no uncertain terms: police shootings WILL increase.

The public was warned, as a matter of fact many cops (via police associations)
told you: politicians are very aware more people, and cops, will be killed due to three strikes laws... thugs facing "life digets" call it "holding court in the streets".

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am not defending us cops... Just want to get that out there.

But a straight up comparison seems a bit wrong, as of right now Texas and California together have about the same population of Britain.

Seems a larger population will require a larger police force which will involve more shootings.

Also places like Chicago screw up the numbers badly.

That said yes I have a problem with the quick trigger fingers of many cops today.

I believe there is also a slight difference in attitude. The following quote is taken from Quora, where an English policeman answered the question why British police is not armed:

We are armed! With wit, guile and charm. We think on our feet and talk our way out of situations a lot of the time. We have the respect of the majority and police by consent. We are fair and use discretion to deal with many incidents. We are restrained and controlled when faced with violence and use only the minimum force to deal with such situations. We are well trained and (until the last government) relatively well paid.

There are of course armed divisions of the police force in Britain, but they generally guard high-security installations such as nuclear bases.
edit on 6/4/2015 by moniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: Irishhaf

Britain has roughly a sixth the population of the US. It's easy to do some basic maths and figure it out. Lets say for arguments sake that the US cops kill more folk in a month than British cops do in say, 17 years.

It still looks appalling.

It should really be the number of police officers and the number of citizens - how many citizens per officer.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

Personally, i find the relative death toll more appalling than how efficient the cops are/are not at killing.

It looked to me like US cops roughly kill proportionally 204 times more citizens than UK cops do (rough maths for arguments sake, 17 years times 12 months, see my initial post etc), so even if a million cops did this (or just one super-mutant cop) it matters not, the death toll is the important matter, surely?

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Oh most definitely - I kinda posted out loud, wasn't thinking.
It is an embarrassment to US police that this figure exists but it's certainly no surprise to anyone.
Seems UK is more of a police service than a militant 'force'
I remember one of the Brits saying before in a thread something about Police by consent?
Can't remember now but it sounded so much more civil and respectful.
Could be garbage but it sounded a much better system.

There will always be corruption in the police but these figures speak of more than corruption.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: stargatetravels

Yar, we have bad cops in the UK, scandals, coverups, rapes, murders etc.

But Policing by Consent is the supposed principle.

All i know is i feel far happier with policing here in the UK than how imagine i would feel about it if i lived in the US.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

I agree. Last time I was scared of a policeman I was aged about 8 when caught stealing apples from a local orchard.
If you are calm they are generally calm, and personally I have been let off with words of advice or a 'confiscation' far more times than I've ever been arrested.

Have you ever been picked up by Royal Navy Police though? They're a bad arse bunch who don't have much of a sense of humour. They patrol the streets of Plymouth on weekend nights due to the large amount of sailors on shore leave. I was thrown into one of their vans after an incident in a bar many years ago, it was all I could do to shout "I'm a civvie!" while one of their sailors was getting a right beating off them lol.
Nah, give me our normal non-militarised local plod any day over military cops, or even the wannabe military cops which appears to be the case in the US.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: moniker

That explains a lot. I've been trying to commit suicide by cop for years.
They just keep making me a cup of tea then driving me home.

edit on 6 4 2015 by Kester because: spacing

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Perhaps, but that is because of the islamification by the immigrants.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
such like-for-like comparisons are fraught with problems, as earlier posters have noted. however i think the essence of
the OP highlights what does seem a valid concern.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

True, but there is clearly a massive problem with policing in the US which we (I'm pleased to say) do not share. Hell, ATS even has a forum dedicated to it although dressed up under the term "Posse comitatus" it's pretty much all about US police treating their citizens like dirt. You'll be lucky to find a 6th of posts there complaining about UK cops.

Generally, I don't really care as I don't live there and have no intentions of ever visiting, but the amount of times I read "British slave subjects" or "You are unarmed and vulnerable" etc, I know which nation I prefer to be a slave in, one where the worst I can expect is a good tazering or an extendable baton over the head...and even then, only if I act like a prick to the average UK cop.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand the worst I can expect is a good tazering or an extendable baton over the head...and even then, only if I act like a prick to the average UK cop.

indeed so.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4
...youtube videos don't help sometimes when you have the shoplifter/street robber/smack head screaming "Argh! Your hurting me!!!" like a schoolgirl trying to get attention. I've watched a few funny arrests over the years and called a few guys pussy's, get over yourself and stop resisting as the cop clearly is not trying to hurt you, just put cuffs on. #ing babies.

It is a standard tactic of low level annoying-fly criminals who get caught. Tough # I say, I often think our cops are too restrained when there have been a few arrests I've watched and thought I'd just baton the prick if I was the cop.

*Edit*
It is why I have never been a police constable.

edit on 6.4.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Hmmm Australia have more deaths from police that the UK too...

Brazil is 3 times than the US.

Statistics are fun!

Well Australia was the penal colony from the UK so it would
make sense that they might be a bit more violent down there.

Is that a serious statement? If so, that is ludicrously ignorant.

You can be an insulting ignorant troll if you want, but genetic disposition
toward violence and genetic memory are both proven.

Planarian worm memory experiments

Genetic Aggression

So troll boy, got some more insults for me ???

Seriously? Twice with the name calling? Because I said its ignorant to dismiss the behavior of an entire continent based on the history of a portion of their population?

"Troll!" Strong argument

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AdamuBureido

"Ghetto storm" has already been addressed by Torq. Apparently the "spotlight" he put on it was unappreciated.

So far you're three for three (that I've seen) with your inability to refrain from getting personal right from the start.

Careful, your tactics are showing!

Have a super day

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join