It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Water ( finally? ) Going MSM ...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Desalination plants can only provide a temporary band aid for the massive arterial hemorrhaging of life sustaining water across the U.S. southwest. Not to mention, seawater desalination plants are enormous toxic engines, which accelerate environmental imbalance.

"Potential Impacts of Seawater Desalination"
source: www.paua.de...

I predict that over the next 25 years cities across the U.S. southwest will begin to collapse one-by-one, starting with Las Vegas Nevada as the first metropolitan ghost town.

"If You Think the Water Crisis Can't Get Worse, Wait Until the Aquifers Are Drained"
source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
If I were Canada, I would be working out a very lucrative deal that could solve California's problem, and provide some needed natural resource revenue.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

well they dont let you collect rain water here! number two it rained for 5 days cats and dogs yet they collected nothing. The thought process here is we are a bunch of morons. I hate this state its filled with greed and users willing to use anybody to get ahead. The businesses are about to screw themselves out of money and i cant wait i hope their collapse is as brutal as possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

originally posted by: crazyewok
Looks like it will be fun and games when I come over to visit in June

I'm there in June also.Didn't they (California) have severe storms over the winter? The coast road somewhere near Malibu was closed for a long time because of mud slides,what happened to the water that caused this to happen?

Its now mixed with salt and spinning around somewhere off to Cali's west. Large quantities of rain falling in a short period of time do NOTHING to help recharge aquifers and are only of marginal benefit to reservoirs. They need either slow soaking rains (and a lot of them) or large snowpacks. Snowpacks melt relatively slowly, allowing more of the water to infiltrate into the aquifers as well as more opportunity to manage what runoff reaches the reservoirs.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
If I were Canada, I would be working out a very lucrative deal that could solve California's problem, and provide some needed natural resource revenue.

We can't even get the dysfunctional DC department of dunces, dullards, and dipsnips on the same page long enough to approve a highly profitable pipeline between Canada and the US which everyone actually impacted by the line is in favor of EXCEPT the president of the USA, and you actually think that a transportation method to move precious water from Canada to California would fly?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The Arctic ice shelf is melting causing sea level rises. Arctic ice is fresh water. California has a shortage of fresh water. California will certainly be affected by rising sea levels. Kill two birds with one stone by getting a huge fleet of freighters to harvest the ice. Case closed

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Enochstask

That's the dumbest conspiracy theory I've ever heard. It's not Obama and the Illegals you Right Wing nut job. I've lived here for 40 years and the fact is we are in a drought. It's not just some political game either. Talk to the people that drill wells. They are having to drill deeper than ever before to tap in to water sometimes only resulting in a few days worth and then having to drill again and it's costing the customers thousands of dollars every time they drill.

We've been in drought conditions like this for years and we've gone through them on and off since I was a kid. Big Agra Business is a big part of the waste. There are also some stupid regulations in place as well, but that's not the major cause of it. The trouble is NO FREAKIN' WATER. We have very little rain and even less snow pack which is what we need. Have you seen the mountains all covered in snow the last few years??? No, because it's not there. Noticed any lakes being lower than normal or completely dried out??? Yep, me too. Did Obama and the Mexican's take it all too???

I will agree with you that the stupid High Speed Train should be off the table but that's politics for ya. Why build plants for water when you can spend 1000% more money on a train that nobody wants??? Because it's all about the money. These stupid asses don't give a damn about anything other than filling their pockets with it.

You seem to forget that without 5 million or so illegals there would be a lot more water for legal citizens,wouldn`t there?

victorhanson.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

How much do you think people drink or even use on a personal level??? If you're going to blame over population that's one thing but to single out illegal immigrants just seems like an illogical attack made from a personal bias.

Individuals aren't the problem. Sure lawns take up a bunch and idiots who decide the only way to wash off their driveway is by hosing it down for 30 min. Or the dick who leaves his hose running all day until water is running down the street and in to the storm drain. But that's nothing compared to Big Ag. using Flood Irrigation or pumping 80 million gallons a year out for bottled water. On top of that there are millions of gallons of good fresh water being sold off for fracking or being poisoned by illegal waste dumping.

Not to mention the fact that at least when people are using it, illegal or not, they're at least using it like they should by drinking it, washing with it, or gardening, etc. That's what's it's there for after all. I don't care how many illegals want to drink some water or take a bath or whatever. That's only a tiny fraction of what's actually available and they're using it for a good reason. Even farmers growing crops, it takes water, no problem, they're growing food. What sucks is big business that literally dump toxins and destroy entire lakes or reservoirs full of fresh water. Energy producers, Nuclear Plants, Paper Mills, etc.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Imagewerx

I'm there in June also.Didn't they (California) have severe storms over the winter? The coast road somewhere near Malibu was closed for a long time because of mud slides,what happened to the water that caused this to happen?

Its now mixed with salt and spinning around somewhere off to Cali's west. Large quantities of rain falling in a short period of time do NOTHING to help recharge aquifers and are only of marginal benefit to reservoirs. They need either slow soaking rains (and a lot of them) or large snowpacks. Snowpacks melt relatively slowly, allowing more of the water to infiltrate into the aquifers as well as more opportunity to manage what runoff reaches the reservoirs.

Ok thanks,so was this deluge mainly on the coast and not inland at all?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Soon they will be requiring folks to crap in buckets to save flush water. Thats whats called a deep drought.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Soon they will be requiring folks to crap in buckets to save flush water. Thats whats called a deep drought.

Our family farm had an outhouse up until 1990, when my great-grandfather died and my mom and dad took it over. They remodeled and added a couple bathrooms.

My house (built in 1890 and in the city limits) had one up in to the 1960's.

I'm just saying outhouses aren't too far removed from us historically. I didn't mind using one and I still regularly piss outside.

Some call it country, or uncivilized. I say I'm just doing my part to save the planet

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100
I don't know why they waited so long.....they should have at least implemented glasses of water in restraunts only if partons wanted it, like a while ago....this is not a good situation for sure.

Because in California, it's all about appearances.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You didn`t read the link ,did you?

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

We're cancelling our trip so we can watch the chaos in safety from afar. The economic devestation may be severe. I'd be surprised if the agricultural industry isn't destroyed. I'm sure the end game will be to declare a state of emergency so Obama can shovel money into the state to build desalinization plants.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
People built these massive cities in the sand, and then some of them will be surprised that the water supply is drying up. Lord have mercy.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
As governmental logjams and favoritism towards big corporations reveals the uselessness of our "leaders" people begin to ignore unethical laws. Plus
As California-Ag gets thirsty the rest of the nation starts growing more of their own food. Plus
As people begin to rely on California's agriculture less while, simultaneously, residents of California become wiser about their use of water, the aquifers and lakes that California needlessly and unethically draws water from can recharge. Plus

This is going to be a plus in the long run but if I lived in California today I would do every ethical thing I could, legal or not, to sustain myself. It's clear that a lot of hurt is coming and it's equally clear that government is not going to be able to wholly prepare for it.

The sad thing is...if there was a massive effort 15 years ago to attract more precipitation via the breaking up of concrete and the planting of climate-adjusted trees. If rainwater collection per household was allowed and utilized. If the massive rain events weren't wasted by diverting all of the runoff to the seas via concrete channels. If California agriculture followed the more sustainable and water-cheap methods of Permaculture. If California residents cared less about lawns and more about swales and drought-resistant, arid-adapted species. If Americans enabled Nestle less by low-tech distilling the water caught off of their own roofs......

Then we wouldn't be talking about this.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

Hey - I'm sorry you feel that way mostly because it's isn't true.

We have been doing a lot here for decades. You are looking at individual people - who mostly don't give a crap, on that you are correct. As a State, with Counties and City, CA has been doing a lot of work to conserve and reclaim water resourcs. Reclycing is required in certain industries (car wash, laundries, entertainment) Our public landscaping is using grey water and has been for decades. And working in this manner has allowed individuals to do (or not do) their part - now it's becoming mandatory.

Yes, we have a lot of dickheads that only care about themselves (hmm - sound familiar?) but you cannot call the State as a whole - whatever it is you called it or me.

Just because you didn't know these things, or cared about these things, and because the City you live in choose to do things steadily and quietly, behind the scenes (how good governance works BTW) - doesn't mean it hasn't been happening.

It's called self-centered, self-absorbed, childish.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Ignorant fool!

Actually composting toilets would save a huge amount of water and provide good compost. But, you have to be able to learn something new and I somehow don't think a lot of people on this thread are capable of such learning.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: charlyv

We can't even get the dysfunctional DC department of dunces, dullards, and dipsnips on the same page long enough to approve a highly profitable pipeline between Canada and the US which everyone actually impacted by the line is in favor of EXCEPT the president of the USA, and you actually think that a transportation method to move precious water from Canada to California would fly?

No, I was talking about a pipeline as well. Fresh water that winds up in the ocean, is essentially destroyed. I think it could be done without any environmental impact other than the land it would be sitting on. Hey, follow the oil lines and there is no more real estate required in those areas... This may seem weird now, but coming into the next century, depending upon where you live, fresh, clean water may become just as expensive as oil, or worse.

And yes, they remain a dysfunctional DC department of dunces, dullards, and dipsnips. Give em a shovel each.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

I don't know why they waited so long.....they should have at least implemented glasses of water in restraunts only if partons wanted it, like a while ago....this is not a good situation for sure.

Very good idea, my husbands family did it on their own with their two restaurants, most of the water was simply wasted as the people ordered other drinks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join