It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Water ( finally? ) Going MSM ...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
Here is another reason why I don't think there is a water emergency in California (see link below). What has basically happened is the Liberals out here discovered we have a one billion dollar emergency water fund and they want to get their hands on it, but first they had to declare a water emergency.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

did you even read your own article??? that was planned 10 years ago, then it tanked during the recession...contracts have been signed to start building it...they hope there wi9ll be more water in 2 years when it opens...if these is still a drought the pools/slides will not have water, but there are other things in that park for kids to do.

basically it comes down to horrible timing..

quote from the article

When we finish the project and it’s still in a drought and we can’t fill the pools, we’ll address it at that point in time. But we are moving forward with the project as planned,” McCreary said.
Right now, Dublin’s water restrictions forbid the filling of any empty swimming pools. The city is hoping the weather will change by the time they open their new water park in two years.
edit on 4-4-2015 by research100 because: added a quote

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: research100
Just step back and look at what you wrote and you will realize how ridiculous this water scare is.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne
No doubt there is a water shortage coming up, but for the most part it does seems to have to do with the whole privatization of water which is going on, I mean big corps seem to have no problem getting mass quantities of water now do they, so much so that they sell it back to you all at a premium.

And California is prime suspect in implementing new laws for the privatization of water rights ect ect. Which again is just leading in circles, I suppose one day it will be, he who controls the water controls the populations. And then the real water drought may set in, and by then? Well then people will have something to really worry about besides there coolers full of beer and nestle water bottles, and washing there cars on Sundays with copious amounts of water now wont they.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
whos up for a cheap Land Grab!!!
or you could start geting gas from this land!
the rich get richer............

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I lived most of my life in the Silicon Valley (northern San Jose Bay Area)

I have read a lot of comments regarding "why are they just doing it now?" Or why hasn't California put water restrictions into place?"

I ask you do some research on California... LA survived by deverting a Lake and running it Dry! Resivours deverted and water re-directed, even selling water off as commercial agriculture, Cities etc...
Growing up we had water restrictions. I've seen levels of lakes and resivours full and then as each year goes by so does the water level. After years and decades of less rain fall it's come to this.
We could only water lawns on certain days of the week if at all. Watching how we used water in the home. No car washing, you usually had to ask for water at resturaunts. Laws placed into effect and large fines given to those who didnt fallow strick water restrictions implemented State wide. This isn't anything new to us. It's just has gotten worse every year., year after year.. Decades later..! When it does rain, and rains a lot, we have mud slides because of dead or dry un healthy growth. Dead and dry trees, perfect for forest fires. It's just not Califirnia.. We've had and still have issues in Colorado! I'd also love to give all this rain in the PNW of Portland OR. And send it South to my Home State of Cali. Where the sun is rare, and rain is plentiful as a rain forest.

edit on 5-4-2015 by Mudnyrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

Yeah...it is about time.

It's funny though that it is being blamed on AGW, when decades ago the predictions were made that the entire southwestern US would suffer water supply problems simply using supply vs demand with an ever increasing rate of population growth.

Number were put to using extrapolated popultion growth and known water supplies (aquifers, rivers, lakes) and the pronouncement was that around this time the southwest would be suffereing a huge shorfall in water supply.

So...given the warning decades ago, what did we do? Nuttin...allow it to happen and now it's cause is man made climate change.

Either way...no one who was paying attention is surprised. Either way, we did nothing until it became the elephant in the room that decided to sit on the furniture.

The difference is, that now it is a political cause.

Mankind is just stupid. Plain stupid.

edit on 5-4-2015 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

California's answer to the water shortage was to build a train that goes halfway to Las Vegas then stops, and to import more illegals to help consume what water resources we already have. What could possibly go wrong under great Liberal leadership. LOL!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Mudnyrey
I remember driving once to Sacramento for the most part on the highway it was just desert and bush that looked like it would catch fire once it went up a few more degrees, and no doubt it did, I dont think its that uncommon to see the smoke from bushfire while driving those highways in summer. It was pretty much that way for all the drive even down into LA, it defies logic why some build large cities in what is practically a desert.

But hey reason and logic have never been things which apply to the things people do. In WA or OR on the other hand, there is no shortage of rain, now it seems to have slowed down somewhat these past years, and not rained as much, but 12 or so years ago I remember it felt like it was the whole 40 days and 40 nights of nothing but constant rain up here.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

a reply to: research100
Just step back and look at what you wrote and you will realize how ridiculous this water scare is.

The only thing that I see as ridiculous is your theory that there is no water shortage and it's all just a big scam by "liberals" to take Gov. funds while at the same time claiming that it's illegal immigrants who are drinking and using up all the water and causing the drought, which of course according to you isn't happening.

Besides the fact that your own argument contradicts itself you make your bias toward "Liberals and Illegals" all too obvious for anyone to possibly take you seriously. Lay off the Radical Right Wing echo chamber for a bit and do some thinking of your own. You need to clear your head a bit.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm
It's not your place to tell your betters what to do.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

You let me know when someone who qualifies enters the conversation and I'll consider that.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Institute a fine of $1,000 a day for every full swimming pool. But you know I compared the drought pattern to the increase in population maps and they are basically identical. Meaning the areas hardest hit by the drought are the ones that have seen the biggest increase in population. So how much of this is actual drought and how much is just lowered water supplies form increased usage of reservoirs? Its got to be some of both. This is thruought the southwest, not just California.
In Pa they're telling us we're in a drought and the rivers and lakes are at normal or even above normal levels. It seems like they're trying to get us into a drought mindset even though we're not in one.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Wow, you're not very good at this.

Anyway, my wife is from California and they have had restrictions before. Maybe they're just now realizing that "suggestions"aren't going to work anymore

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We got you CA don't worry !!!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

Wow, you're not very good at this.

Anyway, my wife is from California and they have had restrictions before. Maybe they're just now realizing that "suggestions"aren't going to work anymore

I was born in California, lived there awhile, and lived right on the border with them in Nevada, in those very mountains that no longer have any snow. Water restrictions were nothing new to me growing up, they became so habitual that despite moving out of the area 12 years ago the drought mentality habits still stick with me.

Here's the thing though, those suggestions they give are really for nothing more than public peace of mind. It's an action people can take to feel like they're doing something about the situation. It's nothing more than modern day duck and cover. Residental water use is a very minor part. That comes to about 90 gallons per day on average for people, and I suspect it's actually less. With 39 million residents that's 351 million gallons used per day. The private water bottling companies are doing that much on their own, with just nestle hitting 80 million. And even they're a small issue. The large issue is in agricultural production. A two cheeseburger meal takes 900 gallons of water to produce while a good sized bowl of rice takes 14 gallons for 896 gallons in savings. What I'm trying to say here, is that if everyone replaced one burger meal a week with rice 3.5 billion gallons of water would be saved. That's enough to offset the companies like nestle, watering restrictions, shower restrictions, water meters, and even glasses of water in restaurants while still leaving billions of gallons in reserve that don't need to come from what little is remaining in the aquafiers.

The water situation in California is serious, but if you live there and care about it you can take actual steps that will fix things.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

a reply to: bbracken677

California's answer to the water shortage was to build a train that goes halfway to Las Vegas then stops, and to import more illegals to help consume what water resources we already have. What could possibly go wrong under great Liberal leadership. LOL!!!

The illegals are not taking your water. Individual use tops out at 10% of the states water usage. You seem to have 12 million illegals and 39 million citizens, so illegals are 24% of your population. At 24% of the population that means they use 2.4% of the states water.

Do you want to know where most of your states water is going? About 80% of it actually? It's going to your agricultural industry. California has some of the best farmland in the country once you get to the middle and northern parts, and many take advantage of that. At this point however, the available water has been stretched too far and those industries need to be scaled back and moved to places with more water.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Unfortunately, the same advice should go to the liberal side as well.

I am getting a bit tired of every weather related issue being blamed on AGW, when the same issue has arrived in previous patterns dating back to pre-man.

It's like some people are scanning the news looking for anything that can be blamed on AGW whether there is any logic or not.

We could just as well blame it on the weakening magnetosphere...which has weakened by almost 20% since the advent of industrialization. Correlation = causation, right?

I mean, heck, there is no way that weakening magnetosphere could have anything whatsoever to do with climate change, right? It only protects the earth from radiation from the sun and we all know that the sun has nothing to do with climate. It's all man!! (repeat often and loud)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I find the whole "its not the population growth, its industry and agriculture" discussion to be incredibly naive.

After all, what does population growth have to do with an increase in ag and industry?

We should shut down them ole water using farms... seriously.

And then what? Import more food? Sure! Let Mexico and South America use their water! Sure...it will result in more hydrocarbons being burned to transport, but wtf... who cares, right?

I mean...what is the value of producing food closer to home? What is the value of producing food in rich soil?

Sheesh.

Why is it that every moronic fix to a problem has to be one that damages our economy? And then there would be a massive complaint about jobs. Sound familiar? We have had too much of that kind of ignorant thinking already.

Why dont we invest in desalinization? Heaven forbid ... that might cause some rare mollusk to become extinct. Not that it was already on the verge of becoming extinct anyway......

Perhaps another answer would be to prevent overpopulation by limiting the size of families? Perhaps we really dont need women with no visible means of support (other than welfare) to give birth to 10 kids..... Perhaps a family with 2 kids actually makes sense. It's called being responsible instead of breeding like rabbits which is something humans are very good at. Perhaps we should even start describing it as "breeding like humans".

edit on 7-4-2015 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yeah...there is absolutely no relationship between population growth AND AGRICULTURE!

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A question I'd like ask on a sort of related subject.I've been watching Youtube videos about Death Valley prior to my visit there in a couple of months,and I see they've had flash floods there for the last four years (maybe more I didn't go back any further).Is this normal (if normal is still normal nowadays) for the hottest place on earth,and where does all this water go to,surely it must make a difference to the water problem in California?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join