It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reflection
a reply to: MrConspiracy

Why is preaching blind faith some how acceptable, but "preaching" observation and reasoning are not?

Again, atheists believe in many different things. They just arrive at conclusions using observation and reasoning, as opposed to "believers" who come to conclusions using blind faith.

If someone wants to be outspoken about that, all the power to them. Could be for many different reasons. One possibility being concern that religion is hate and fear disguised as love. And believing that a world without religion is a much more peaceful world. Seems pretty respectable to me.

Kinda seems like you are hating a little bit.

Not hating at all. Have many a friend who define as atheists.

My point was... what is there to gain in preaching? Those who have religious reasons are preaching because they feel it is their duty by their chosen religion. Atheism has no sacred word, no doctrine to tell them or guide them in to preaching about being an Atheist unlike those who preach in the name of their chosen Religion. Does that make sense?

Religious preachers are annoying at time. And i'm in no way a huge supporter of them. But all they are doing is trying to do right by their religious beliefs. Those who are preaching Atheism have no solid ground to preach about their non-beliefs. They are doing it out of choice but for no reason.... and, in my opinion, can come across obnoxious.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Preaching atheism is ridiculous.

Those who preach their chosen religion are doing so because they believe they "should" based on that religion's teachings. Whatever your view, they have reason based on their faith and beliefs.

Preaching atheism just strikes me as obnoxious.

Not even hating.

I would say: "What are you afraid of"?

How is making yourself present/available to people who may be of same thought obnoxious?

Yes, there is a campaign for atheists to reach out to other atheists and/or anyone who has questions or interests.

Preaching? Preaching what? Logic, humanism, etc.

Why on earth would I be afraid of someone preaching their beliefs?! Unless it was disturbing or damaging.

My point was - What grounds to those who are "Atheists" have to preach? What is their purpose? Those who preach in the name of their religion are doing it because their chosen faith has guided them in some way to preach. Atheism has no such guidance due to it's nature.

Therefore, if they have no reason other than they "just want to" then I believe that can be slightly obnoxious. Even more so than religious preachers who are by no means non-obnoxious themselves at times.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
We seem to be questioners, no matter your beliefs, except those embracing blind faith.

Gospel of Thomas - Jesus Saying 91: They said to him, "Tell us who you are so that we may believe in you." He said to them, "You examine the face of heaven and earth, but you have not come to know the one who is in your presence, and you do not know how to examine the present moment."

One interpretation: Their knowledge does not suffice for them; they have knowledge, but not the true knowledge available through the 'presence' in these sayings.

True knowledge means to know Jesus, or to know the present moment, or to know "the one who is in your presence" (whether that one is Jesus or not), and the process of examining, searching, reading, understanding and articulating will lead to this knowledge.

And, so, here we are all are, as it was back then, in the present moment; those seeking, and those not seeking spiritual transformation.

Saying 92: Jesus said, "Seek and you will find. In the past, however, I did not tell you the things about which you asked me then. Now I am willing to tell them, but you are not seeking them."

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Why on earth would I be afraid of someone preaching their beliefs?! Unless it was disturbing or damaging.

My point was - What grounds to those who are "Atheists" have to preach? What is their purpose? Those who preach in the name of their religion are doing it because their chosen faith has guided them in some way to preach. Atheism has no such guidance due to it's nature.

Therefore, if they have no reason other than they "just want to" then I believe that can be slightly obnoxious. Even more so than religious preachers who are by no means non-obnoxious themselves at times.

Take this how you want, individuals like that could just be working on trying to make a difference sharing their belief. If someone found solace in a more atheistic perspective, what's so hard to imagine about them sharing that? The Golden Rule stands behind them too!
edit on 31-3-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: someone not summertime, lol!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

"What grounds to those who are "Atheists" have to preach? " They have as much of a right to preach their beliefs as people with faith/religion/spirituality.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico Preach what? Don't believe in nothing. Leave people who believe in something alone, I don't know what the person next to me believes. I respect that what ever they believe, I have no proof I am right and I don't need it.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: maxzen2004

you are missing my point. If people who believe can preach, so can people who don't. Equal treatment for all.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Good point. It doesn't even have to be religious, all kinds of organizations hand out info about their "causes" in public places.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
After 28 pages - - - why don't we go to the source?

The Atheist's OUT campaign.

The OUT Campaign allows individuals to let others know they are not alone. It can also be a nice way of opening a conversation and help to demolish the negative stereotypes of atheists. Let the world know that we are not about to go away and that we are not going to allow those that would condemn us to push us into the shadows.

www.outcampaign.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
And then we have the American Atheists billboard campaign.

American Atheists launches billboard campaigns throughout the year to encourage closeted atheists to "come out" and celebrate their atheism. We critique religious bigotry, the use of religion as a weapon by politicians, and the hypocrisy of all religions. These billboards not only encourage atheists to stand up and be heard, but also raise the profile of atheists and atheism in the media and public discourse.

atheists.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

"What grounds to those who are "Atheists" have to preach? " They have as much of a right to preach their beliefs as people with faith/religion/spirituality.

I said grounds. Not rights. They have no reason to other than they just want to... Which they are entitled to do so. I never said they couldn't. Their reasoning is just thin on the ground compared to those who preach in the name of their chosen religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml

Take this how you want, individuals like that could just be working on trying to make a difference sharing their belief. If someone found solace in a more atheistic perspective, what's so hard to imagine about them sharing that? The Golden Rule stands behind them too!

It does indeed. And they can preach all they want. I just don't see any reason behind it.

Those who choose to follow a religion and preach feel it is their duty. What are atheists going to preach? If they are preaching Atheism what on earth are they preaching? Atheism is just no belief in God or a higher power - There's not much "material" to spread their word there.

Atheists have varying views on many things.... They don't have scripture or a belief system to follow and preach about. Therefore they must just be saying "God doesn't exist" - I don't understand the reason for that. They can believe it, sure! But it's not much to shout about.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Atheists have varying views on many things.... They don't have scripture or a belief system to follow and preach about. Therefore they must just be saying "God doesn't exist" - I don't understand the reason for that. They can believe it, sure! But it's not much to shout about.

From what Annee posted, it seems to be more about raising their voice than spreading any particular word.

edit on 31-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Claiming one is an atheist and professing a belief in the afterlife or the soul is completely contradictory. The two beliefs simply aren't compatible, and no amount of self proclaimed "agnosticism" can reconcile the logical disconnect between the two.

But really -
it isn't contradictory at all.

The two beliefs are perfectly compatible.

You keep going back to 'there must be an original source', and ascribe human traits and qualities to that 'source.' The thing is, there is no reason (really) to assume that some human-like overseer decided to do all of this.
It's perfectly reasonable that we are all sparks of the 'Big Bang', or an exploding Supernova, or came through a wormhole together as particles of a bigger thing than we are.

"God" is totally unnecessary. It just IS what IT IS.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

From what Annee posted, it seems to be more about raising their voice than spreading any particular word.

Atheism has a voice. An they are 100% entitled to it. Preaching Atheism seems redundant though.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Preaching Atheism seems redundant though.

The masses NEED salvation from religion! That's the ministry of the outspoken atheist.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Atheism has a voice. An they are 100% entitled to it. Preaching Atheism seems redundant though.

Define preaching.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I like and fully support atheists becoming more visible, organizing, forming groups, and reaching out to the public and like minded.

I think because of the way things are today, with the Fundamental Christian Right using politics to force their belief on those who don't choose it - - - an opposing public force has become necessary.

Over the years I've tried to find atheist meeting groups. It has not been easy. In past years they tended to be very private.

However, I've noticed they are becoming more public, and out of the shadows. YAY!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
No one should be preaching anything. Im an atheists, those preaching that is an embarrassment. They don't stand for all atheists . Some of us keep an open mind.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
No one should be preaching anything. Im an atheists, those preaching that is an embarrassment. They don't stand for all atheists . Some of us keep an open mind.

No its not.

I'm sick of the antiquated thinking that atheists need to somehow remain anonymous and isolated.

That's just plain stupid - - - especially with the Christian Right doing everything they can to control this government.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join