It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: shivam13
a reply to: Prezbo369

You can say that I belong to a small(literally) People who believes in God(not the traditional one as i said), at the same time are men/women of science. I am searching for the proof or might even propose a Hypothesis, about my belief, about where/how/when is The God(s)?(the real one(s)).
If after all these years of reading and experimenting of what we know, my conclusion is "We don't know crap". But, we are making progress and future generation(if human race survives) will have some interesting "things" to explore.

You're not an atheist as you have belief in a god, accepting science or anything else is irrelevant.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Saying that God is invisible would be like saying that a human is invisible to the white blood cells traveling through his body.

Some choose to believe that He doesn't exist, some choose to believe that He does. I purposefully used the He moniker to further illustrate the point that any understanding/conceptualization or experience of the creator will be limited in scope, just like the understanding of a white blood cell of the body it works to repair.

You believe in the God that I believe in simply by existing and thinking and experiencing reality. That you don't understand that you do or that you choose to elucidate yourself to His reality with a belief that He is random chance and natural selection doesn't change anything.

You CHOOSE to believe what you do about existence just as anyone who believes in acknowledged religion chooses to believe the precepts of that religion.

I don't choose to believe in any religion, under the guise of scientific paradigm or otherwise.

I DO, however, understand the failings of all belief systems and the likelihood of reality based on my own logical evaluation of available evidences. That is something that CANNOT be said for the vast majority of people out there on both sides of the organized religion/agnostic/atheist spectrum (I had to specify organized religion there because the other two are as likely to be classifiable as religions as the first).

Jaden

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
You CHOOSE to believe what you do about existence just as anyone who believes in acknowledged religion chooses to believe the precepts of that religion.

No, there is a difference. It is subtle but it is there.

I don't understand the need for some to have it be the same. I see the same difference between someone that has a direct religious/mystical experience and someone who practices a religion because they were brought up that way or because they are hedging the bet on eternity.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

IIn my perspective, fear gets in the way of many individuals sense of discrimination. The spiritual journey encourages us look past appearances, but that easier said then done. That takes practice.

Many theists are scared that others will suffer if they don't find the same peace their faith has provided them. Unfortunately, those less mature in their faith often become blind sided by frustration trying to express themselves constructively. They pass judgement on others, when ultimately only the Universe, God or whatever concept of Deity they have has that right.

Plenty of individuals do the best they can to follow the Golden rule, but they can't always see that due to looking at the differences instead of the similarities...

edit on 30-3-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Gonna respond to the OP before i find time to go through the thread.

First off, atheism doesn't mean believing in nothing. I hear this all the time from "believers." Atheists need evidence based belief as opposed to "blind faith."

We all have faith. I have faith that with the next step i take the atoms that make up the ground under me will hold together enough to keep me from falling through to the center of the earth. I believe that because its been tried and true my whole life. Its evidence based, inductive reasoned "faith."

When it comes to blind faith, there is no evidence. It typically comes from years and years of social conditioning, being told from an early age that it is just the way it is and there's no explanation. You can't question it or try to prove it. It is the way it is and if you think any differently, you may burn in hell for eternity. Obviously, freaking very young, vulnerable children will strongly shape their world view before they reach an age where they are able to think for themselves and question authority.

Im not gonna defend people, atheist or believer, for trying to force their beliefs on people. But who would you trust more? Someone telling you to believe in something with no evidence and to just "take them at their word" or someone telling you to question what others say and think for yourself?

Im gonna leave it at that for now, before i go off on the whole tangent of atheists have morals, probably more so than many "believers" because their morals are intrinsic, as opposed to doing moral acts because they will get rewards when they die. Just dont have the time but will be happy to go there later.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Preaching atheism is ridiculous.

Those who preach their chosen religion are doing so because they believe they "should" based on that religion's teachings. Whatever your view, they have reason based on their faith and beliefs.

Preaching atheism just strikes me as obnoxious.

Not even hating.
edit on 30-3-2015 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Preaching atheism is ridiculous.

Those who preach their chosen religion are doing so because they believe they "should" based on that religion's teachings. Whatever your view, they have reason based on their faith and beliefs.

Preaching atheism just strikes me as obnoxious.

Not even hating.

I would say: "What are you afraid of"?

How is making yourself present/available to people who may be of same thought obnoxious?

Yes, there is a campaign for atheists to reach out to other atheists and/or anyone who has questions or interests.

Preaching? Preaching what? Logic, humanism, etc.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Preaching what? Logic, humanism, etc.

Pastafarianism?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

Why is preaching blind faith some how acceptable, but "preaching" observation and reasoning are not?

Again, atheists believe in many different things. They just arrive at conclusions using observation and reasoning, as opposed to "believers" who come to conclusions using blind faith.

If someone wants to be outspoken about that, all the power to them. Could be for many different reasons. One possibility being concern that religion is hate and fear disguised as love. And believing that a world without religion is a much more peaceful world. Seems pretty respectable to me.

Kinda seems like you are hating a little bit.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

Preaching what? Logic, humanism, etc.

Pastafarianism?

What does Pastafarianism have to do with anything?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

I think it was pointing out that it isn't all about humanism and reason and can get downright silly. Of coourse the flying spaghetti monster is tongue-in-cheek.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

I think it was pointing out that it isn't all about humanism and reason and can get downright silly. Of coourse the flying spaghetti monster is tongue-in-cheek.

Uh huh, but Pastafarianism, silly or not, says it has a belief.

Its not atheist.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Uh huh, but Pastafarianism, silly or not, says it has a belief.

Its not atheist.
If Stephen Cavanaugh is awarded the five million dollars he's seeking in damages because officials refuse to acknowledge it as a belief, then I will concede your point. However, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, are you?

Some people claim it is and some people claim it isn't like Stephen Cavanaugh, so there's some debate about that, but you got the point, thanks. Some religious people might construe such beliefs as not only atheistic but as mocking their faith. If the court decides it's a real belief and Cavanaugh gets any part of the damages he is seeking for officials denying that, it will be a landmark decision.

In any case it seems relevant to the topic of the thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Because it is atheists poking fun.

The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

That reminds me of the Red Bull lawsuit. Someone sued and won because Red Bull didn't actually give people wings.

Seems to me Mr. Cavanaugh is just using it to try and make some money. Of course this goes against the teachings of Pastafarianism.

Then again what started out as satire might end up being a legit religion.
edit on 31-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Because it is atheists poking fun.

The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.

Its just not something I care about.

Guess I take my atheism seriously.

edit on 31-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I am agnostic, I believe there are still things unknown to man... hence, to me atheists are similar to religious people: close minded and stupid... funny thing how arrogant atheists like to side themselves with agnostics, but I don't see any similarities in their views/beliefs...

edit on 312015302uam32America/Chicago3 by donhuangenaro because: ...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I can understand that. I had only a vague idea of what it was from seeing it mentioned here and there.

Looking at the link that Arbitrageur posted, it seems to have formed quite a cult but since most of the writing seems to be in a Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) style, only goofier, I just can't see anyone with half a brain taking it seriously, unless the goal is to seriously annoy religious zealots.
edit on 31-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: donhuangenaro

This is a common misconception of atheism. Atheism is not necessarily a disbelief in God or gods, it's a lack of belief. There is a big difference. An atheist doesn't necessarily reject the possibility of a God. They just don't have enough evidence to make a conclusion. If an atheist claims that they know one hundred percent for certain that there is no god or some kind of source, then they are doing exactly what they oppose about believers. They are making conclusions with insufficient evidence.

Now, that being said, it is one thing to leave open the possibility of some form of God and suspend any certainty and another to believe in the God Christians believe in that impregnated an earthly woman that gives birth to himself to eventually go on a suicide mission to destroy the evil he created himself. That is probably a little easier to dismiss than some broad possibility of a higher power or even "creator." But in my experience, when it comes to Christians judgement, if you don't believe in the God of the bible, you might as well be and atheist that believes nothing matters, has no morals and believes everything is just random with no source.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: donhuangenaro
I am agnostic, I believe there are still things unknown to man... hence, to me atheists are similar to religious people: close minded and stupid... funny thing how arrogant atheists like to side themselves with agnostics, but I don't see any similarities in their views/beliefs...

So you feel atheists have the belief that all things are already known to man. Really?

I doubt agnostic is really a meaningful term. Especially where it concerns notions of religious gods.

To have no belief in a god, yet be open to the possibility that there could be "something", would be a very common atheist position IMO.

Though to be undecided about biblical type gods, would be similar to being undecided whether a magical Leprechaun awaits at the end of the rainbow. Or whether there might be Elves in the garden. It requires much the same divergence from reality as believers... looked into it, listened to the claims of the Magical Sky Fairieists/Leprechaunists/Elvists, though haven't been able to make my mind up as yet. A tough one, after all, who knows..?

It's difficult to take that any more seriously IMO.

edit on 31-3-2015 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join