It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists and Agnostics don't believe in God but want spread their nothing word

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Depends what you mean by "God"

Is the Universe a product of a random event or by intention
Where does the separation lay between things and intelligence ...

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: MrConspiracy

Then preach Science. Not Atheism. I'm with you, preaching Science seems pretty solid.

You don't preach education.

I don't preach at all. Unless you call a forum post preaching.

And i'd rather you didn't take a personal hit. That shows lack of character
Stay on topic.
edit on 1-4-2015 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

They challenge a belief in God by stating there is no God or no need for a God.... Therefore they have no belief in God. Therefore they are stating that, in their beliefs, God does not exist.

That is not the atheist position, it's merely the rejection of the clams made by theists. If the theists have not met their burden of proof, have not presented enough evidence for their claims, it can be rejected. This rejection is not the positive claim that gods do not exist, just that theists have not met the burden of proof.

People can use words and and definitions all they want. Atheists claim there is no higher power. Theists believe in a higher power. I have NO idea what you're trying to suggest?

Again you change the meanings to fit your argument. All that's required in order for someone to fit the atheist description is the lack of belief in gods, nothing more nothing less.

So the theists haven't proved Gods exist. Therefore Atheists have every reason to have ....

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Therefore, yes. The whole reason someone would call themselves an Atheist is because they don't believe in a higher power/God etc.

It's not a matter of word play. It's a matter of common sense. I'm not even sure how you got us here or what the reason was.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

So the theists haven't proved Gods exist. Therefore Atheists have every reason to have ....

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

They (theists) haven't given enough reason for atheists to accept the claims for the existence of gods.

Therefore, yes. The whole reason someone would call themselves an Atheist is because they don't believe in a higher power/God etc.

Yes, they do not believe/accept the claims made by theists.

It's not a matter of word play. It's a matter of common sense. I'm not even sure how you got us here or what the reason was.

You said that atheists claimed that gods do not exist, and that is untrue.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
What sort of evidence? I mean, what kind of evidence would an analysis of world religion and myth lead you to expect to find, if gods exist?

Fossil remains of gods?

Fingerprints?

Photographs?

A god on the White House lawn?

👣

Something more substantial than a 2000 yr old book of stories about stories and personal testimonies....

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me where atheists 'preach'? Because I've never met a preaching atheist, as I'm pretty sure that's an oxymoron.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Stay on topic.

You posted:

Then preach Science. Not Atheism. I'm with you, preaching Science seems pretty solid.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

What sort of evidence? I mean, what kind of evidence would an analysis of world religion and myth lead you to expect to find, if gods exist?

Fossil remains of gods?

Fingerprints?

Photographs?

👣

Something more substantial than a 2000 yr old book of stories about stories and personal testimonies....

You missed out the bit about it having been selectively edited by various people.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Can someone please tell me where atheists 'preach'? .

Mostly in my imagination.
edit on 1-4-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: added quote for context

edit on 1-4-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: edited quote for more context

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Fossil remains of gods?

Fingerprints?

Photographs?

👣

Ok. I can work with that. Suppose we expand the concept of religion to include more than the Bible. Suppose we expand it to include every religion, every mythology, all the way back to cave-man days, when tribal shamans were the priests and artists. Suppose we treated all of that as a single unit and analyzed it.

We would find that there are hidden depths. There are hidden patterns that weave like threads throughout it all, connecting it all. We would find that these patterns are like clues that point to a concept of God that is panoramic and cross-cultural, and fundamentalist religion has no idea.

So, forget everything you thought you knew about religion. Back to the drawing board.

And forget everything you thought you knew about parapsychology and spirituality.

"I have always seen parapsychology as the "earthing" of the spiritual. In our experiments we explore the psychic in a very logical, rational, exoteric manner. We assign clearly demonstrable proof ratings to the different variables. In such a manner we have inadvertently confirmed many spiritual teachings, for example that one's attitude or belief about something may actually affect the occurrence of that particular matter. Faith, it used to be called,although now it is "the sheep-goat effect," was said to be able to move mountains. Jesus spoke quite extensively on the incredible effect of faith, which has now become transmuted into attitude, and the Hindus have a spiritual path centered around faith called Bhakti Yoga. Our modern terms are more applicable to our present society, but underneath the change in terminology the concept lives on.

Another example of the "earthing of a religious concept" occurs when doing a ganzfeld or other free-response experiment. The first thing the participant is taught to do is to become aware of the content of their mind. This action is what the Christians call contemplation and the Buddhists call mindfulness, and it is the first step in meditation, the first step in learning how to develop one's mind. The state of consciousness that the ganzfeld induces is to be found in quite a number of different religions as well, albeit induced in radically different methods, such as getting up and chanting at 3 a.m. the point in common with all these methods is the aim to create a state of consciousness whereby the conscious mind is stopped, thus allowing one to access material from the collective unconscious."

-Serena Roney-Dougal

The American Christian-on-the-street has a flawed, tiny, myopic concept of God. The American atheist-on-the-street is an equal and opposite reaction to that flawed concept, and hence is flawed too.

👣

edit on 787Wednesday000000America/ChicagoApr000000WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Ok. I can work with that. Suppose we expand the concept of religion to include more than the Bible. Suppose we expand it to include every religion, every mythology, all the way back to cave-man days, when tribal shamans were the priests and artists. Suppose we treated all of that as a single unit and analyzed it.

And you produce from all that.......meditation?.....that's really the best you were able to get from the entirety of the world superstitions/myths?

And if you are going to blend all such myths etc you must show in each case why you're only selecting certain elements while discarding others.

Why do folk such as yourself think it's ok to have such a low standard of evidence?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

And you produce from all that.......meditation?.....that's really the best you were able to get from the entirety of the world superstitions/myths?

No, all that is produced from the triangulation of comparative religion, comparative mythology, and comparative mysticism. These are deep academic fields of study.

Just look at all that came from the comparative anatomy work of Darwin. It's the same kind of thing.

Growing up in a culture that has a religion or studying the sacred text of a single religion is no way to learn about religion. Comparativism is the only way.

👣

edit on 807WednesdayuAmerica/ChicagoApruWednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Suppose we expand the concept of religion to include more than the Bible. Suppose we expand it to include every religion, every mythology, all the way back to cave-man days, when tribal shamans were the priests and artists.

The concept already includes all that

Suppose we treated all of that as a single unit and analyzed it.

That would be up to the individual.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
My opinion as an atheistic agnostic, I suppose the reason these in your face atheists preach our non belief is the same reason religious nuts preach in public, and try to force their religious views on others. In a sense, they want to save you from your ignorance, but instead of threatening an eternity in hell (fear mongering), we want to save you in the here and now. Religion is the opiate of the masses, a pariah on the buttocks of humanity, an easy way out of explaining the unexplainable.

I'm all for the live and let live viewpoint, but there comes a point where you just get fed up with the bullcrap religion spews from its ass.

edit on 1-4-2015 by 8fl0z because: typos on mobile

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

No, all that is produced from the triangulation of comparative religion, comparative mythology, and comparative mysticism. These are deep academic fields of study.

And all you could produce as evidence for a god after blending and sieving through all the worlds superstitions'' was....meditation?

Just look at all that came from the comparative anatomy of Darwin. It's the same kind of thing.

Ignoring that you just compared the scientific theory with your.....blendings.....Darwin had a lot more to go on than ancient myths and superstitions and he produced a lot of hard evidence for his claims.

Growing up in a culture that has a religion or studying the text of a single religion is no way to learn about religion. Comparativism is the only way.

I agree that everyone should learn about all the different beliefs, but such knowledge does not then lead to evidence for your own personal beliefs.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

You asked for something more than Bible stories. I gave you entire academic fields of study that show that you have no idea what religion really is, or what to expect in terms of evidence of gods. Back to the drawing board.

And I gave you a massive body of scientific evidence that supports mystical teachings, that has accumulated for over a century - parapsychology.

So from my point of view, you're moving the goalposts.

👣

edit on 812WednesdayuAmerica/ChicagoApruWednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Prezbo369

You asked for something more than Bible stories.

I said I would require something more substantial...

I gave you entire academic fields of study that show that you have no idea what religion is, or what to expect in terms of evidence of gods.

You did no such thing.

And I gave you a massive body of scientific evidence that supports mystical teachings, that has accumulated for over a century - parapsychology.

No you merely quoted Ghosthunters TV star Serena Roney-Dougal......

So from my point of view, you're moving the goalposts.

Like I said, a poor standard of evidence.....for such an incredible and fantastic claim....

edit on 1-4-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You did no such thing.

Sure I did. If you can't bring yourself to do some... Ya know... independent study, that's not my problem. That's just you indulging in willful ignorance.

No you merely quoted Ghosthunters TV star Serena Roney-Dougal...

If you can't bring yourself to do some... Ya know... independent study, that's not my problem. That's just you indulging in willful ignorance.

Here, read these. If you have the courage to challenge your beliefs. I can lead you to water but I can't make you etc.

www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...
www.amazon.com...

That's just for starters.

👣

edit on 824Wednesday000000America/ChicagoApr000000WednesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Sure I did. If you can't bring yourself to do some... Ya know... independent study, that's not my problem. That's just you indulging in willful ignorance.

Merely stating you did something is not enough....nowhere in your replies to me did you give me 'entire academic fields of study that show that you have no idea what religion is, or what to expect in terms of evidence of gods'...

If you can't bring yourself to do some... Ya know... independent study, that's not my problem. That's just you indulging in willful ignorance.

Lol right it's my fault that all you produced was a quote from a ghosthunters star...

Here, read these. If you have the courage to challenge your beliefs. I can lead you to water but I can't make you etc.
That's just for starters.

Lead me to a list of books on amazon.....cant you give me a good reason as to why I should even read the books synopsis?

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Stay on topic.

You posted:

I was talking to someone who mentioned preaching science. And I stated preaching science seemed more solid. That's not me preaching? Or have I missed something? Please re-read.

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join