It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feminists request use of "jazz hands" rather than clapping to avoid triggering "anxiety" [OP UPD

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Why is this an issue? Clapping or jazz hands? Does it really matter? The idea is to use your hands to show appreciation for what is said. I've seen before where they've requested you do thumbs up instead of clapping as well. All clapping is is an arbitrary gesture we associated with mindless applause. You guys act like changing the gesture to indicate mindless applause for ONE event is somehow akin to feminists trampling over all that is good and holy. Sheesh... Learn to let the trivial things roll off...

Everything is trivial at some point. Until it isn't anymore. It's not that, in and of itself, the request was ridiculous or offensive. But it is a symptom of a larger problem, an underlying rot in modern society.

I disagree, the request was of a disability nature and should be accommodated.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63
This is a bad idea, let me explain. As a man I apparently have absolutely no control over my libido, my emotional maturity stalled somewhere around the age of 12 and every woman around me is a potential rape victim.
The image of hundreds of Jazz fingers thrust obscenely in the air like an explosion of tiny phallic symbols will surely set off the rape impulse in my Neanderthal brain and endanger all the women present. At the very least I may start undressing them with my eyes, driven into near madness by their plump little fingers waving erotically before me, forming "V" shapes reminiscent of shapely legs spread before me, enticing me, tempting me and inflaming my uncontrollable lust.

In light of the current level of political correctness, they may want to rethink this approach for the sake of all women.

Hey now, put 'little sparky' away and play nice, caveman.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Jazz hands is the ASL version of clapping.

Just saying.

I'm sorry this so alarms and disturbs so many of you.

edit on 3/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Just saying.

Interesting, but this is a UK story and it is British Sign Language in use here not ASL.
In BSL a simulated hand clap is applause, not the 'jazz hands' you apparently use in the US.

*Edit*
BSL Applause
edit on 25.3.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I have to say that photo at your link is causing ME anxiety. Those are some of the worst breasts i have ever seen. Let's have a big round of applause anyway though.

link   
This is disgusting. A group of people with some disabled members asks for something and that request is used as an excuse (by Breitbart and the Daily Mail, no less) for ATS members to rail on "feminists" and make fun of people with this disability.

I have a seizure condition and my seizures are "triggered" by flashing visuals and strobe lights. I asked the owners of ATS if it would be OK for me to block ads because of this "disability", even though it's against T&C. Yes, I asked for "special treatment" and was gladly given it. They were caring and understanding and happy to oblige... But that was years ago...

Things sure have changed around here.

link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
Feminists just want everyone to bow down to them. They are offended by pretty much everything and make themselves difficult to be around.

This is the typical demand of equal rights by lobbying for special conditions. GLBT groups pull crap like this all the time. "I just want to be treated like everyone else so here is a list of special treatment I would like that is specific to my gender or orientation"

I cannot justify discrimination against anyone in any part of my beliefs or morality. But you are absolutely correct in your statement. Equality is just that. Being considered equal to the average and being treated as such. Beyond that, it becomes unreasonable entitlement spurred on by bullying. Being treated fairly is a human right, and should be the expectation of any adult. Demanding rights and privileges beyond that is childish and ridiculous.

They could have a medical condition whereby excessive, or even everyday sounds could trigger hyperacusis.

There are a variety of neurologic conditions that may be associated with hyperacusis, including:

Post-traumatic stress disorder
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Tay-Sach's disease
Some forms of epilepsy
Valium dependence
Depression
Migraine headaches

Because social situations are often painfully loud for those with hyperacusis, withdrawal, social isolation, and depression are common.

www.entnet.org...

A little education and tolerance goes a long way.
I totally understand that, and actually spoke about it upthread. I have 2 auto cousins, one of whom is very prone to panic at sudden loud and unfamiliar noises. The response I posted to your comment was actually about society in general, not the specific event in the OP. This is the first thread I've come across that managed to get an emotional response out of me, and I was discussing more the social commentary of the opinion stated in the OP.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Just saying.

Interesting, but this is a UK story and it is British Sign Language in use here not ASL.
In BSL a simulated hand clap is applause, not the 'jazz hands' you apparently use in the US.

*Edit*
BSL Applause

I beleive it is used in BSL as well.
ETA:

To BH: Yeah, the intolerance around here is almost as thick as the ignorance lately. But let them laugh away....karma's real.

edit on 3/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
< points & laughs, and claps >

If they were looking to be a laughingstock, they nailed it. I thought college was supposed to be an institution where one went to learn valuable skills for their desired job field, not somewhere to go to be coddled to death?

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Nowhere in the article does it label the women of the NUS as feminists, the OP just assumed they were because ... I just don't know why.

No, you are correct, it does not. But it doesn't not need to. This is an obvious product of the corruption of the Feminist movement by modern 'visionary' types. And the marshmallow-fluff touchy feely everyone gets a trophy croud. Societal norms have morphed to a level where getting your feelings hurt is almost a criminal.offense. And saying something that offends anyone outside of your social, economic, religious or racial bracket can ruin your career and even your life. But if anyone says anything offensive about the perceived oppressive majority, they are not allowed to be offended. Everyone demands equality, then spits in the face of the equality of others. Everyone is a victim. Everyone has to be labeled as some sort of special subset of their general group. Everyone has to be treated wite kid gloves. Everyone has to feel important, exceptional or special.
Absolutely no one is expected to tolerate anything they can even pretend is offensive, unless a member of the aforementioned oppressors. Absolutely no one should ever have to feel like they failed at something. Absolutely no one should be expected to be responsible for their actions because everything they do wrong is the fault of their 'childhood traumas', bad parenting, negative influence of their peers, media influence, pop culture influence, Starbucks getting their order wrong last month, and on and on and on. Because we all know that we should be praised when we make correct and productive decisions, but obviously we had no control over our bad ones.
I realized that I am kind of going off, so I will spare you my comments on the current destructive levels of materialism and self-worship in society and the media.

This concludes the rant for today. Please exit through the gift shop.

Why one would fixate on this one issue by NUS is quite clear to me. I am very impressed with these students and what they are trying to achieve.

s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com...

I admit that I made this comment before understanding the specific nature of the issue in the article. And regarding that, I am in error. But nothing that I have said is an inaccurate observation of modern society as a whole. I stand by that firmly.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity
No you are incorrect. It is not part of British sign language.
Perhaps informally as US words sometimes pollute our language from international media, but just checked with a profoundly deaf friend and he just texted back "Lol no, ridiculous haha"

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Nowhere in the article does it label the women of the NUS as feminists, the OP just assumed they were because ... I just don't know why.

No, you are correct, it does not. But it doesn't not need to. This is an obvious product of the corruption of the Feminist movement by modern 'visionary' types. And the marshmallow-fluff touchy feely everyone gets a trophy croud. Societal norms have morphed to a level where getting your feelings hurt is almost a criminal.offense. And saying something that offends anyone outside of your social, economic, religious or racial bracket can ruin your career and even your life. But if anyone says anything offensive about the perceived oppressive majority, they are not allowed to be offended. Everyone demands equality, then spits in the face of the equality of others. Everyone is a victim. Everyone has to be labeled as some sort of special subset of their general group. Everyone has to be treated wite kid gloves. Everyone has to feel important, exceptional or special.
Absolutely no one is expected to tolerate anything they can even pretend is offensive, unless a member of the aforementioned oppressors. Absolutely no one should ever have to feel like they failed at something. Absolutely no one should be expected to be responsible for their actions because everything they do wrong is the fault of their 'childhood traumas', bad parenting, negative influence of their peers, media influence, pop culture influence, Starbucks getting their order wrong last month, and on and on and on. Because we all know that we should be praised when we make correct and productive decisions, but obviously we had no control over our bad ones.
I realized that I am kind of going off, so I will spare you my comments on the current destructive levels of materialism and self-worship in society and the media.

This concludes the rant for today. Please exit through the gift shop.

Why one would fixate on this one issue by NUS is quite clear to me. I am very impressed with these students and what they are trying to achieve.

s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com...

I admit that I made this comment before understanding the specific nature of the issue in the article. And regarding that, I am in error. But nothing that I have said is an inaccurate observation of modern society as a whole. I stand by that firmly.

The specifics of the article was difficult to find at first, I had to wade through all the writer's s**t first.
edit on 25-3-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2015 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Won't it be funny if we all wind up back in the Victorian Era again? And it won't because men oppress women into but it will be because Feminists demand it for their own sense of safety.

I'd be laughing so hard except my synthetic whalebone corset would make me pass out.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Rot? The only rot I see is making fun of a group of people who decide to hold their meetings slightly differently than most people do.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I mentioned progressive ideals as the root cause in another thread of the decay of society as a whole especially in the younger generations............

Progressive ideals are simple to understand they put the rights of the masses before individual rights. Many people laugh and say this does not exist......Take a good hard look at this story and see the simple truth. These are progressives and look how they treat the rights of the masses vs individual rights.

Take this mindset and expand out and see this country and maybe even your own values in a new light.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I asked the owners of ATS if it would be OK for me to block ads because of this "disability", even though it's against T&C. Yes, I asked for "special treatment" and was gladly given it. They were caring and understanding and happy to oblige... But that was years ago...

Things sure have changed around here.

Wait BH, how does this compare? In your case you asked for permission to deal with your issue YOURSELF. You did not ask ATS to change their ads, nor did you demand that the site change itself in any way to accommodate you... YOU made the change. In this case, those demanding special accommodations are looking at everyone around them to change to accommodate the few. A much more accurate comparison to what occurred with you would be if those with issues wore noise canceling headphones to the event. (and yes, they make headphones now that electronically separate voice from loud noises, allowing you to hear people talking crystal clear while muting all other sounds. I wear a pair of them at the rifle range.)

ETA... after further though, I realized how ridiculous the noise canceling headphones idea is... Wearing those to protect your ailment from applause doesn't make headlines and no headlines equals no attention whoring! How ridiculous of me to expect anyone deals with their personal problems privately in this day and age.

edit on 25-3-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Because when you're deaf you can't see people applauding, right? :rolleyes:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Why is this an issue? Clapping or jazz hands? Does it really matter? The idea is to use your hands to show appreciation for what is said. I've seen before where they've requested you do thumbs up instead of clapping as well. All clapping is is an arbitrary gesture we associated with mindless applause. You guys act like changing the gesture to indicate mindless applause for ONE event is somehow akin to feminists trampling over all that is good and holy. Sheesh... Learn to let the trivial things roll off...

Everything is trivial at some point. Until it isn't anymore. It's not that, in and of itself, the request was ridiculous or offensive. But it is a symptom of a larger problem, an underlying rot in modern society.

I disagree, the request was of a disability nature and should be accommodated.

And I have edited that comment to reflect that my disagreement is with a broader issue, and not this specific incident.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Because when you're deaf you can't see people applauding, right? :rolleyes:

Roll away and maybe then go research a bit. What were you really attempting to ridicule or attack or be so alarmed about here?

Here's my universal sign language for this thread

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

a reply to: pfishy

Rot? The only rot I see is making fun of a group of people who decide to hold their meetings slightly differently than most people do.

OK I am assuming you are a man, and you see nothing wrong with the idea that entire groups of women are unable to feel safe in the presence of a man?

I'm a woman, and I see enormous problems with that statement.

Try taking out women and man and inserting various ethnic and religious groups. Go ahead. Have a ball, and then get back to us and whether or not we're just making fun of people holding their meetings differently. Think of the jazz hands bit as a mere distraction to the real problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join