It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Massive attacks on Iraqi oil pipelines.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
5 more massive attacks on oil facilities in Iraq.

Iraq's key oil infrastructure suffered five attacks in 24 hours after a voice identified as Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden ordered followers to sabotage the west's key oil supplies.

An oil ministry spokesman condemned the upsurge in "terrorist acts" which he says are depriving Iraqis of essential fuel and the country of desperately needed export revenues.

There were two blasts on pipelines Saturday and three late Friday, all of them in restive Sunni Arab areas around the capital or in north-central Iraq, officials say.

In the first of Saturday's attacks, saboteurs blew up a section of the pipeline feeding oil from the northern Kirkuk fields to the distribution hub of Baiji, an oil facilities protection officer says.

The section near Fatha, 85 kilometres west of the oil city of Kirkuk, had already been hit on Friday, virtually eliminating its flow.

An hour later a second blast hit the pipeline linking Baiji with Baghdad's Daura refinery, network director Majid Mamnum says.

Iraq oil facilities targeted after bin Laden message

Interesting in the fact that it says OBL stated he wanted attacks on oil pipelines in a recent tape, so they automatically believe he is the catylist of such events?, yet at the same time the Iraqi resistance communique:6 also recently stated "We will disrupt, then halt the flow of our stolen oil, thus rendering they're plans useless."

Considering that there is no known links between OBL and these resistance groups how do simply say that one or the other is responsible?

Anyway there is probably no doubt fuel prices are going to skyrocket again.

World crude oil surges on fuel, terror concerns

[edit on 19-12-2004 by Johnny Redburn]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

Considering that there is no known links between OBL and these resistance groups how do simply say that one or the other is responsible?

How do you figure there are no links?

"The same evening, near Baiji, saboteurs struck another pipeline supplying refined products from the refinery there to storage reservoirs around Baghdad."

That attack was claimed by an Islamic militant group loyal to bin Laden, the Al Qaeda Organisation of Mesopotamia, in a leaflet distributed in Baiji.

The leaflet said sabotage had been carried out in response to Thursday's Internet message from the Al Qaeda "supreme commander".

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
5 attacks already? Thats quite a substantial amount considering OBL only called for "terrorist" operations to be directed towards the Oil infrastructure 24 hours previously.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by MERC]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Not really. They are hitting the pipelines which are quite long in some cases and almost impossible to defend. They can hit them and then crawl back into their sand nests to hide. The refineries, on the other hand, are much more difficult to strike.

Thats quite a substantial amount considering OBL only called for "terrorist" operations to be directed towards the Oil infrastructure 24 hours previously.

Why the emphasis on the word "terrorists"?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

How do you figure there are no links?

"The same evening, near Baiji, saboteurs struck another pipeline supplying refined products from the refinery there to storage reservoirs around Baghdad."

That attack was claimed by an Islamic militant group loyal to bin Laden, the Al Qaeda Organisation of Mesopotamia, in a leaflet distributed in Baiji.

The leaflet said sabotage had been carried out in response to Thursday's Internet message from the Al Qaeda "supreme commander".

What I am refering to is that there is no viable links between the resistance groups fighting the US occupation and OBL/Al Qaeda. However seeing as you stated the attacks on the oil facilities were claimed by an Al Qaeda group and not the resistance, then the dispute is settled.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You guys have forgotten a key issue here,

From his prison cell, Saddam Hussein urged his compatriots to remain united against the U.S. occupation and not fall in the trap of America's slogans.

So perhaps the attacks on pipelines are part of the pentagon recognized evolving tactics that the insurgents are using, who are unifying under Saddam's statements.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Why ask a question you already know the answer too?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MERC

Why ask a question you already know the answer too?

I just wanted to give you a chance to clarify before you got tagged with the "terrorist sympathizer" label.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
i dont understand how this considered "terror" when attacking oil pipeline has nothing to do with inflicting fear into the hearts of the populaiton. this is a percision hammer strike against the occupants. now you guys seem so smart, do you know how much revenue was lost due to these attacks? you think they would dwell on that for weeks on end like catastrophic catastrophy that never happened? they sure spend a lot of time dwelling on how open and vunerable we are at home but never take into consideration the enormous failures created abroad. to say that the iraqis are hurt because of oil they probably have no need for is like saying those trade sanctions were for their own good. well that is of course unless you are a greedy american. i love my people.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think this goes to show that OBL is still considered by his followers to be that man in charge and the man to take orders from. 5 attacks within 24 hours of his stating that oil facilities should be attacked is no coincidence. God help all if he openly states something to the effect of attacking western cities, etc.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
i dont understand how this considered "terror" when attacking oil pipeline has nothing to do with inflicting fear into the hearts of the populaiton. this is a percision hammer strike against the occupants.

So you have a problem with the word terror? Well, how about carnage, destructiveness, strong-arm tactics, destruction, or tumult? I can give you plenty more to choose from.

This is a direct attack against the Iraqi people. It takes away their lifeblood, their only source of income.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It seems that Bin-laden is still very much in charge and running the show in the area, I guess it only takes one message and the "terrorist" goes trigger happy and bomb happy.

But occurs our administration does not "worry about Bin" anymore. Right?

If is something these attacks are successful at is to keep the oil production in Iraq to the minimum for anybody to profit from.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Well, how about carnage, destructiveness, strong-arm tactics, destruction, or tumult?

this is refering to the occupants then yes of course i know they are mad! terrorist are mad as well! they are all mad, they need a computer so they wont be mad!

new topics

top topics

join