It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The growing threat of EMP attack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

very true .that point you made about tools
any opinion on this? if it happened
I live in city first floor apartment
should i stay and barbed wire myself in
or run into the nature ditch my car and stay arourd a river I am a female that knows no one where I currently live in (well if I know someone they think i am nuts) I do live near a river in a small complex and I have enough soil to start some gardening .we don't have guns or pepper spray . I am thinking I could use petrol and bottle (set it on fire) and a hex

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

sorry i was so tired I read it completely different
I thought u said u are more worried about nukes
so can you please tell me about the danger of emp?
any tips for survival

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

"very true .that point you made about tools
any opinion on this?"

Simple really, humanity has a penance towards self destruction and mass genocide.

We excel at finding new and interesting ways regrading self annihilation. Point of fact its that its what we do best, technology advances further in times of war and conflict than in times of peace. The facts speak for themselves.

I imagine any city would be a grave, get out fast would be your best bet. Far to many people competing for a limited amount of resources. Water will become contaminated and roaming gangs of refugees will fight to the death over anything they deem necessary to survive. Its the percentages you need to beat to survive in that type of situation, the old saying "a cave is a grave" applies well regrading citys and towns also.
edit on 16-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

"One Second After" William R. Forstchen, William D. Sanders, Newt Gingrich

An interesting read.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

Back in the day its was books and shows like "When the Wind Blows" and "Threads" that gave us any kind notion as to those kinds of situations, but the times, they are a changing.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

is this a poem?
it rhymes
edit on 17-3-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa
hello what is going on between you two?

what countries are in your opion ready to deal with EMP threat

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

what about solar EMP
how come you know so much about lightening ? you are the third person I ever told my story to. any crazy incidence in your like (you know the near death experience )

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I used to worry about EMP until it dawned on me that humankind has lived nearly all of its existence without an electric grid. And there are many places globally that still don't have an electric grid. So even if you couldn't use solar panels for low level electronics or gasoline/diesel powered portable generators, it would still be fine for most of us. You can still grow crops, make clothing, and do basic carpentry without electricity, as well as most other necessities. Of course, most modern conveniences would be gone but we could still survive easily.

The only people I'd really worry about are the more vulnerable people, like those in hospitals & nursing homes, and people crammed into densely crowded municipalities. Dwindling water supplies, food supplies, and drug supplies would be their biggest problem.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
For those who think the Sun can produce EMP, it is just not the same.

The destructive power of nuclear high altitude produced EMP come from the very fast rate of change of the magnetic field (dB/dt). A very high rate of change, such as produced by a nuke, can induce significant voltage in a relatively small area (loop of wire). This high induced voltage is able to produce breakdown in electrical circuit, powered or not.

The Sun, AFAIK, is not capable of these very high rate of change when perturbing the Earth magnetic field, but the slow rate of change coupled to the enormous available field, is capable of inducing current in area of several kilometers, like pipeline and electrical distribution lines.

edit on 2015-3-17 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

yes very true..we did have a farm and we would be just fine without electricity(well my dad still has it. he grows fruit/veg has live stock/wine cellar/ generator /fire place and he knows folk remedies etc). however right now I am on an oposite side of the globe, by myself, living in a city I don't know many people in.. so I had a little freak out and little preps . we get a lot of bush fires here.
living where you currently do.. would you be prepared for a week of power failure?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

thank you for the great info
so any typs for preping?
do you think EMP attack is likely?
Do you think people will ever use their nukes? if yes low yield or high yield

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

do you think EMP attack is likely? Do you think people will ever use their nukes?

If I were the bad asymetric warfare kind of guy, it would be my first strike. It have the potential to cripple civilian infrastructure for the whole North America. However the military would suffer minimal loss of capability if ever, as their electronics is heavily shielded and filtered for EMI (emitted and received).

If I were a conventionnal power attacking, I would still use it to sabotage civilian workforce operation, as you know, war is all about denying ressources.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

True what you say regrading the EMP high voltage flux in electrical and electronic circuits. Our power grids are highly susceptible to the effect and while it is theoretically possible to encase our fragile systems and sub stations in grounded Faraday cages it would be exceptionally expensive and in no way cost effective. Not to mention the fact that this type of protection would in no way shield our system of pylons or associated cables from said flux.

As to what our Sun is capable of producing, we cannot really be sure considering her age and Humanity's rather short existence by comparison. If she can produce solar flares that extend and engulf our Earth i imagine she could do a hell of a lot more than fry our electrical systems.
edit on 17-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

you know even if it is not our generation
what is the risk for future generations. any opinion on this? should we be doing something? can we do something ? I mean beside being self sufficient ourselfs as individuals. is anybody addressing this type of problems? it kind ou feels like technologically we have kind of out run over selfs . it is like we have completely lost some skills and natural instinct .will you be disscusing this with your family /children ?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

what about solar EMP

What about it?

To answer your other question, I like lightning. I've seen a lot of it over my lifetime, read a lot of articles and seen it on TV shows (many shows).

Lightning is awesome.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

i wish I could send you my video of electric storms here from AU
I often wait for it get close to it(my experience scared me but didn't stop me) lighting is majestic powerful and mystical I always want to stand in the middle of it. nature is powerful I wish I was like her too. fierce yet calm. all my flights were for some reason involved in extreme conditions. AU cyclon we couldn't land but did on pilots third try it was scary cause there was no option to do it the 4th time(later i found out he was not allowed to risk it yet he did? newbie?), EU snow storm so terrible we couldnt continue flying and had to land it country 6hour out of original destination .turbulence so bad that when I got out the bathroom the plain dropped several km down and I felt to the floor, and then flying in middle of an electric storm was the most beautiful amazing thing I have ever seen. I was #ting myself but I couldnt unglue my face from the window. with the sun I was asking if it produces EMP if yes how and what is the effect on planet.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

with the sun I was asking if it produces EMP if yes how and what is the effect on planet.

Start here…

Google search results

Gotta go…

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Short of being able to influence the life cycle of our star which would require the technological capability of a Type III civilization(we are still type 0) we are simply at the mercy of her cosmic cycles.

As to protection against EMP attack, some form of electromagnetic generated force fields or shield would seem to offer the best measure of protection. Possibly this type of technology is already in existence or at best only 15-20 years in our future.

Scalarwave interferometers would also offer a means of protection against EMP attack but the very existence of Scalar waves has yet to be proven beyond a measure of doubt. The future seems interesting all the same.

www.angelfire.com...
edit on 17-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I find it strange that we still rage civil wars on each other yet we have such a difficult task in front of us and that is to protect human spieces
when I was in a sky tech show that acts as a observatory i was so overwhelmed by the fact that we are such a beautiful most unlikely creation. like what are the chances? yet we don't seem to care to appriciate that we exist in a system in nothing. you and me
you and me actually exist to observe universe we are alive and able to comprehend it even more amizingly explore it

like what the heck?? I will dedicate my life to protects us and future generation and our environment

because it is the most incredible gift universe could have gave us

a life!!! we are a live unlike anything else so far discovered in universe

we have a responsibility to keep our legacy because chances are after we wipe eachother out there will be nothing like us ever again

we are no rocks we are no air we are no ocean we are no plants we are no animals
we are beings that are able to comprehend our existence

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join