It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The growing threat of EMP attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

That article is untrue.

The US military has for decade been taking the steps to mitigate an EMP attack. Like I said before, all critical military command and control infrastructure is protected against an EMP attack.

The civilian side of the house is totally screwed in the event of an EMP.... but that goes for the rest of the world as well.

Don't forget...... The sun is much more likely to hit us with an EMP than another country.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

You posted links just to back up exactly what I was saying? That was very n(ice) of you.

Today must be your day to follow me around and post on my threads.

I feel almost honored to hold such a distinction.

I already said the military has been preparing from EMP's for decades but the civilian side is pretty much screwed in an EMP event. Thanks again for re-enforcing that.

edit on R172015-03-14T12:17:05-05:00k173Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

edit on 14-3-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

Wow, awesome. Thanks for sharing that. That lightning strike didn't blow any fuses or permanently damage the vehicle in any way?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I don't see this as a little issue
I certainly be more concerned about a power failure of my local power plant than having my vehicle iPhone or microwave affected.

Me too. But again thats one power line and plant, not every electrical device within the EMP radius. Thats what I was trying to convey to the "civilizations gone dark" comment in the original post.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MimiSia
a reply to: intrptr

you know number one myth about EMP is? people who claim EMP will cause the end of the world and people who claim it is not a big deal and nothing will happened.. I don't have much else to say

The effects of nuclear weapons are overwhelming enough, usually destroying anything you might need electricity for anyway.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

it blew the cigaret charger fuse I am 80% sure but I hadn't use them that month so who knows.
no permanent damage I actually can't really tell where it hit roof or bonnet the paint on the car has strangely no demage .it was just extremely bright loud bang I was slowing down to stop before I made turn so lucky I wasn't going any dramatic speed

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

oh yeah I absolutely agree on this one
I guess I am trying to say we are disillusioned there is absolutely no danger
don't get me wrong I don't believe emp is effective when it comes to nuclear war
you want to hit your targets with maximum destruction effectiveness

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MimiSia

oh yeah I absolutely agree on this one
I guess I am trying to say we are disillusioned there is absolutely no danger
don't get me wrong I don't believe emp is effective when it comes to nuclear war
you want to hit your targets with maximum destruction effectiveness

Yep. Any detonations high up are a precursor to the real destruction of entire cities.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Interesting. Usually you see sparks if its real close. I know. I was on the flank of Mt. Shasta in an electrical storm.

If it stopped your car you must have been struck directly. In these cases the current flows around the passenger compartment and out the bottom, bypassing the occupants.

Metal shells. Thats how they protect planes, too. The current flows around the occupants in the shell. Same with protecting electronics. Store them in a metal box.

Not that war is likely any minute.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I think I saw at fist purple vein coming coming down it look like it never actually reached the car I clearly remember a gap between the bottom of the vain and bonnet and than it just bursted into bright light but who knows what my eyes really saw it was night time and I did use glasses back then deffinately loud extremely loud and simultaneous to the light. no delay sound like I am used to. I mean it was kind of cool and I was never scared of lightning yet but in that moment I am about to be toast and now I think twice I don't allow any of my friends go out in storm last month however I was forced to go with my friend there was a massive electrical storm you would not believe how many people still went for a walk or bike ride. surely enough next day news a guy in hospital in crital condition
anyway lol one more amazing story was a guy in my city was working on a roof when he was strucked he suffered immediate heartattack but then he fell off the roof hitting the floor hard enough to jump start his heart . he is still alive

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Theres a tale of relation that was struck and killed. He was on the roof when it happened… i have no clue why.

I was on top of the Empire State building in New York one time when a thunder head came at us. First it discharged several bolts on the distant WTC towers. Before they cleared everyone off the observation deck by elevator we witnessed several bolts strike the upper mast portion of our building.

One bolt went right by us and down to the ground. Later, on the radio, we hear a report a lady had been killed by lightning on the ground next to the empire state building. Amazing that. When its your time…

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I think the United Kingdom would be rather susceptible to an attack of the EMP variety. A couple of 20 megaton warheads detonated our upper atmosphere would render our power and communications grids ineffective and essentially immobilize any and all transportation systems throughout our nation. If the UK were ever to be invaded i imagine EMP would be the way to begin considering its geographical isolation from the rest of Europe.
edit on 15-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I think we all are
it doesn't even have to be EMP from bomb could be solar
I just never thought about the fact that power failure is no laughing matter for current sociaty (even if it was failure due to natural disaster the discussion just opened my eyes that I do rely on the fact nothing will ever happened)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

There is really no way to protect against such an attack short of housing all our systems in giant Faraday cages which is completely impractical. To be quite frank one has to wonder why this type of attack has not already taken place given our inability to defend against such a thing. Considering the effect on electronic and electrical infrastructure has been known about since the 50s.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

do you think it will ever happen?
any tips to if it does?
do you have some experties on actual nuclear weapons? I have few questions I would like to confirm with someone

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I'm not worried about nukes but more an emp specific weapon.

Ask your questions I know some.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

i just need a game plan
I read and read
I don't know what is the most likely scenario of nuclear weapons used if a nuclear war broke out (low or high yield etc)
It is 6am here I do need to go to bed I will ask more specific when I wake up I hope u still be here

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

"do you think it will ever happen?"

Well humanity has never built a tool yet that they did not utilize. I think given the technological era in which we live electromagnetic weaponry will be used against somebody or something in the not to distant future.

"any tips to if it does?"

Fight hard, trust nobody and be prepared to eat your fellow Man and not just in the metaphorical sense. Because the anarchy, social upheaval, famine, pestilence and even radiation should our reactors meltdown due to insufficient cooling, that would ensue after a significant EMP event would not be a pretty sight.

Can't help you regarding nukes, only real thing i know regarding nuclear weapons is that should they be used nobody wins including our planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join