It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The growing threat of EMP attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I could never picture a nation who would dare to start a full blown nuclear war as it a situation where no one wins.
Are we however disillusioned about the unthinkable scenario of nuclear war? Are we walking on a thin ice believing that no country possessing EMP will soon loose the plot?

In a recent letter to investors, billionaire hedge-fund manager Paul Singer warned that an electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, is "the most significant threat" to the U.S. and our allies in the world. He's right. Our food and water supplies, communications, banking, hospitals, law enforcement, etc., all depend on the electric grid. Yet until recently little attention has been paid to the ease of generating EMPs by detonating a nuclear weapon in orbit above the U.S., and thus bringing our civilization to a cold, dark halt

Recent declassification of EMP studies by the U.S. government has begun to draw attention to this dire threat. Rogue nations such as North Korea (and possibly Iran) will soon match Russia and China and have the primary ingredients for an EMP attack: simple ballistic missiles such as Scuds that could be launched from a freighter near our shores; space-launch vehicles able to loft low-earth-orbit satellites; and simple low-yield nuclear weapons that can generate gamma rays and fireballs.

edit on 14-3-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I'm much more concerned about an emp attack than a nuke attack.

Anyone else catch the national geographic what if special about the collapse of the electric grid.

If you can find it watch it, pointed out several things I hadn't considered if the lights went out.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

This one?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

Yet until recently little attention has been paid to the ease of generating EMPs by detonating a nuclear weapon in orbit above the U.S., and thus bringing our civilization to a cold, dark halt

It impossible for a single hi altitude weapons burst to do that.

Link to myths about EMP

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

So then why is USA pushing for scenario where EMP would be used OVER AN ISSUE LIKE UKRAINE

So far far far away from USA

Guess what ?

Ukraine is right on Russian border

US government will usher in its own destruction

And yours too my innocent sweet well meaning Americans

edit on 14-3-2015 by Aaamok88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I can't watch it in germany, if it has some bad acting, a crazy stupid prepper, a cascading black out, violence in a high rise apartmen, Then yes.

One of the things that made me pause is, I had gotten into the habit of not carrying cash on me.

Never dawned how I could be handicapped right out the gate by not having cash on hand if the lights went out.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
The biggest threat to US is if Russia or China start to take out their communication satellites.

The first stage of a serious conflict between Russia and the US is probably when this takes Place. Russia knows that the modern US military complex is highly dependent on their satellites.

There are 4 ways to interfear With satelites Communications. Flood the communication line, obstruct signals, virus or destruction by missile.

Each party (US,Russia and China) are seriously testing their ability to shut Down or interfear With Communications at least two times a year.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I usually keep 5 packs of cigerettes, even though I don't smoke, and a decent amount of cash in my "go bag" for just that reason. Cigerettes and liquor make great bartering tools.
edit on 3/14/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Being an ex power station worker the vulnerability of the grid has always bothered me, especially as the companies that supply the necessary equipment in the UK and Europe have been shutting down in droves, which means delays to replace parts were they needed en masse would pitch us all into a major crisis.

The big picture of an emp weapon has never been comtemplated because profit over protection is the only thing politicians and companies are interested in these days. However this threat is very real and I am honestly surprised it hasn't been used before. I suspect people think that were they to use one their own equipment would get fried, but what if one were simply brought into a country and then used far away from the producers?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

this is a link to an actual high altitude demotion test done by Soviets during cuba missile testing

en.m.wikipedia.org...

flying into earths orbit can be done also so maybe they can drop it from there too?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

lol
I have a backpack (for 3 years now) too .100 lighters ,zippo fluid, hax, knife, crap for water filter and a few pairs of crappy underwear and socks.ah and a bag of gummy bears
I would keep fags too but I always end up smoking them

maybe we can trade ciggies -lighters ??

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

yeah me being a city dic I never even paid attantion I freaked out when I read about the EMP (cause I dreamed of nuke war since being a kid)I started really thinking what I would do I got extra fuel 3 months worh food and kitty buiscits and I always try to refill my flower water cans . I also got seedlings
then I made a route out with least busy road into the AU desert near a lake. yet last week I didn't check my letterbox so I didn't know I was going to be without power for 7 hour and u should have seen the mess despite my extensive preping. it was 44 degrees that day. fridge/freezer food gone. washing machine stopes mid circle so I opened the door and flooded the house. no micki or stove I was starving and my phone comp not charged no tv ..our complex gate also doesn't open during power outage(???) so you have to push out a huge bin out of way and get out through back door. I cant drive that god so I would not risk it driving such narrow area. I thought 6 hours still to go ef it so I decided to have a few shots of vodka and go back to bed.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

lol don't even get me started or when you come across parking ticket machine that does not accept cards and I dont even have 50c on me and have to drive back 29-30 min to ATM then through drive through buy a drink to get change and back

last time this happened to me when I finally came back with my 50c there was a guy in front of me so I started complaining when he pointed out to a box 3 meters away to show me that is where the parking machine is that accepts cards.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MimiSia

this is a link to an actual high altitude demotion test done by Soviets during cuba missile testing

en.m.wikipedia.org...

flying into earths orbit can be done also so maybe they can drop it from there too?

As your linked article points out, EMP from testing seeks conduits (like the transmission lines) which conduct the current along them.

That does't mean it burns out all the electronics in like car engines nearby, too. Theres a difference. It doesn't bring communications, vehicles and appliances to a world ending halt.

The weapons themselves do that, savvy?

For instance, lightning strikes power lines, planes and automobiles all the time. Lightning is much more focused and intense, the direct current is way more dangerous yet, even direct strikes on planes and autos for instance, have little effect upon them because they are designed to survive it.

However, the threat of the bomb is of the bomb itself. Who cares about a little jolt compared to the heat, blast and radioactive fallout?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

regarding the lightning
One of my scariest moments of my life was when I was hit by lightining driving home my car stalled
luckily after 20 min trying I was able to start the engine again. I certainly didn't feel like it was little affect but yes it did survive

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

also you read the aftermath of the emp and how it damaged telephone lines and burned fuses
than you read that it also read how it damaged entire power plant by setting it on fire

I don't see this as a little issue
I certainly be more concerned about a power failure of my local power plant than having my vehicle iPhone or microwave affected.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Are we walking on a thin ice believing that no country possessing EMP will soon loose the plot?

Not really. The US has been aware for decades of the effects of an EMP blast.

What is not really advertised is that most of the critical communications needed to respond to a nuclear attack or an EMP attack are housed in HEMP buildings... I worked in several for years as a gubment employee.

HEMP (Hardened Electronic Magnetic Pulse) buildings are designed to with stand pretty much everything but a direct nuclear hit. An EMP will not result in loss of the US to respond to a nuclear attack or EMP attack.

It's still mutual destruction either way if the big players are involved....if it was a small rogue power that launched the EMP, it would be mostly a civilian event, The US military would still be able to respond in kind.

edit on R062015-03-14T11:06:20-05:00k063Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R062015-03-14T11:06:36-05:00k063Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

you know number one myth about EMP is? people who claim EMP will cause the end of the world and people who claim it is not a big deal and nothing will happened.. I don't have much else to say

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

hm I guess I am not so concern for US citizen but for an AU citizen as AU is one of the closest US ally
I really hope you guys will come and protect us
and obviously being Europien I am mostly concerned for them

you now I know we have the hemp buildings too but we smoke them

Now let's ask ourselves who out of USA AU Europe Japan alliance is being the loudest and most opinionated and the one meddling into affairs where no one is interested in your opinion

I guess you don't mind barking at russia provoking it and pushing it to the corner. Well as a Europien citizen neighboring russia I am kindly asking you to shut the ef up for a moment as it is not going to be USA who will be russias first target plus you live on other side of the planet.

if you keep barking I guess you had zero interested in EU safety and therefore also ukraine's in first place

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join