It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Tax For The Internet Is Almost Here (For Those In The UK)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Wow!

I just saw this on skynews and got bludy angry at this CEO/Director of BBC. He wants to now introduce some 'Levy' for us here in the UK for using the Internet regardless of whether we watch 'Catch-up' Services or not...

Did you read that right?

'Regardless' of whether we watch 'Catch-Up' services or not.

Yes you did.

This is another 'Tax' on the 'Middle' & 'Lower' Classes!!

We already pay for Internet Services and 'Phone Line' Rental as well but no, THIS GUY wants us to pay even more...

If the BBC had 'Advertising', then we wouldn't need to pay anything as they would earn revenue through that, furthermore, we wouldn't of had to pay it all these years either.

I'm writing an email to this azzzzzz!

skynews report:

BBC boss Tony Hall is expected to warn the corporation is at "a crossroads" and that the licence fee should be updated. In a speech, the director general is to argue adapting the levy for the internet age is "vital". Mr Hall is set to highlight a recent report by MPs which called for changes to the licence fee to include its catch-up iPlayer service and also suggested an alternative to the current system. The preferred option of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee was for a universal household levy, regardless of whether people watched television or not.

news.sky.com...
edit on CSTMon, 02 Mar 2015 04:49:58 -0600u3104x058x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: Editing the Title

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
The fact that the idea is being suggested does not make it "is here".
"Is a possiblility" is the most you can say.
The more sensational version should be held back for use when the levy has been made law.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
They will try anything... The problem is they are getting less and less money as far fewer people buy a license. The wages they pay their 'stars' are very high too.

Something's got to break.

According to Wiki a £5billion revenue generation, a quarter of which comes from selling shows abroad.

Basically yet again we are funding the extravagant lives of the rich.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The fact that the idea is being suggested does not make it "is here".
"Is a possiblility" is the most you can say.
The more sensational version should be held back for use when the levy has been made law.

And how long will that take? They want to rush it through.

Ok, I'll edit my title slightly.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Yep, I forgot to mention in my OP that we will be funding his lifestyle!!

I don't see why they don't 'advertise' instead, they could earn tons from 'advertising' especially with the new age that we live now.

This 'Tony Hall' is a Prick and I;ve just mailed the BBC to tell him so.
edit on CSTMon, 02 Mar 2015 05:46:37 -06000000003105x037x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: spelling mistakes

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

TV licence fees are already a joke now "they" wish to implement this type of crap!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Less and less people watch tv in the conventional sense and therefore more and more people are opting out of the tv licence.

Coupled with the decriminalisation of watching tv without one the beeb are forced to protect there multi billion pound revenue and make it mandatory.

Theres not a lot I can do about it but I will certainly be complaining aboout every single thing I find inapropriate about the service I do not want but will be forced to pay for.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I suspect Cameron and parliament know they are on a knife edge with the british public as never before.

Ideas of trying to squeeze yet more money out of an ever smaller pot simply is going to cause eruptions. We are already on a slow non-stop train to collision over cuts and being bled dry.

If he really wants to make areal contribution to the quality of tv in this country then he should suggest to Murdock and the other censor/providers that repeats need to go and more programmes need to be made. Yes, made out of the profits they already make, as they pay next to nothing for repeats which is why they are shoved down the viewing public's throats so much.

Its a bummer as I love watching catchup but with what we pay already as a household I am not prepared to pay a penny more unless the service really improves - so Tony Hall think about your job and responsibility to the british public who pay your dam licensing fee.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
The wages they pay their 'stars' are very high too.

Most staff at the BBC get pretty high salaries actually. It's a bit of an elitist company.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Rather an alarming number of there staff are also up to there neck or implicated regarding kiddie fiddling!

Hows that for elitist.

edit on 2-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The way this leeching tory government works, they'll speed through any change in legislation that suits them as quickly as possible.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It isn't almost here and it not a tax on the Internet. It's a tax on BBC content. What a ridiculous title OP.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
It isn't almost here and it not a tax on the Internet. It's a tax on BBC content. What a ridiculous title OP.

It is almost here and it is another 'tax'.

It will be exactly like a 'Tax'

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
well i suggest we all stand shoulder to shoulder and tell them NO,but i guess your all going to sit there and take it ,,anyway if i block bbc websites this tax would be null and void ,,so go talk to my lawyer

second thoughts on this is you want me to pay if i watch or not haha ,,then i guess we have a fight to the death on our hands then, i will never pay this ,and i will see all who try to enforce this as an enemy of all who live in the uk.
edit on 2-3-2015 by stuthealien because: time to make a stand

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: iskander683
The way this leeching tory government works, they'll speed through any change in legislation that suits them as quickly as possible.

And why should this legislation suit them?
Why would they want to do anything to help the trendy lefties at the B.B.C.?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
the bbc is tied very deeply into the british goverment they have even been banned from china at one point for spying,but charging for a service that i do not recieve or can block my pc from receiving would be a new low down dirty tactic by the bbc .
is it even legal to charge for something i dont or cannot recieve????????????????????????????????????????????
edit on 2-3-2015 by stuthealien because: shame of it, i spelt they as thay

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It appears what he's talking about is a replacement for the licence fee although the detail is vague.

Hall welcomed the MPs’ report, which argued that the license fee needed to reflect changing viewing habits and suggested a universal household levy as one alternative. “We’ve always said that the licence fee should be updated to reflect changing times. I welcome the Committee’s endorsement of our proposal to make people pay the licence fee even if they only watch catch-up television.”
www.theguardian.com...

I can live without the BBC , I don't see why I should pay for it when there are other channels that don't want me to pay an arm and a leg to watch them.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
sorry i am back again but they are on about the bbci player website that the bbc itself chose to make public ,they could instead turn this site into pay per view which would be a fairer buisness model to the uk public(like netflix service).

but instead they have decided on a buisness(mafia extorsion) method ,we the public can not allow this chosen method to prevail ,as this is not a fair method of conducting buisness in 2015 from a so called democratic country..

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
They have been caught out by the evolution of technology. The original need for a "TV license" was that the old CRT screens with copper coils actually generated a considerable amount of RF energy. Thus the need for a "license".

Now that terrestrial TV has gone digital (requiring the use of a decoder box just like satellite and cable) and that CRT's have been replaced with LCD and plasma screens, the TV set has just simply become another computer monitor. With mobile devices being able to stream video from remote servers, even the definition of a computer monitor becomes vague.

The BBC could simply use a subscription service combined with encryption and/or user accounts, but that wouldn't be any guarantee that enough people would subscribe. They could have a tax added to mobile phone contracts and cable/satellite subscriptions but they wouldn't be able to bill those with terrestrial receivers. So they are stuck with the "TV license".

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
the bbc is tied very deeply into the british goverment they have even been banned from china at one point for spying,but charging for a service that i do not recieve or can block my pc from receiving would be a new low down dirty tactic by the bbc .
is it even legal to charge for something i dont or cannot recieve????????????????????????????????????????????

Thats it.

How can they charge us for something which we don't even watch? How are they going to achieve their goal? Get someone to sit with you at your home while you/we/ I are on the Net??

I can't see this being implemented as we already pay for Internet and phone Line rental!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join