It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Drive To Register Exiles Before Iraqi Election.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The Geneva-based International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is making preparations to allow exiled Iraqis to vote in the upcoming Iraqi election(s). The IOM spokesman, Mr Erben has stated that the organisation has the ability to cater for at least one million voters. Discussions are being held with representatives from Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Iran, Jordan, the Netherlands, Sweden, Syria, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

www.abc.net.au
United Nations and diplomatic sources said Jordan was expected to be chosen as a central counting venue, but Mr Erben said the location had not been decided.

Amman was already the IOM's logistics base for the deployment of resources and planning the project, he said.

Mr Erben said the IOM, an aid body responsible for the repatriation of refugees and immigrants, was about to complete a survey on how many Iraqis were abroad.

"It is anecdotally said there are three to four million Iraqis abroad. This seems very high compared to the numbers we have available," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, i respect every persons right to vote but i can see that this concept could be fraught with danger and subject to corruption due to the time frame. Not to mention possible resentment of Iraqis who are enduring the current conditions in Iraq, as opposed to those who have better conditions whilst living abroad.

[edit on 17-12-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don't see anything good coming from these exiles voting, the people of Iraq are the ones that had suffered and under Sadam and they did stay home in their lands they did not went running somewhere else.

The true voters are the ones living in that country now.

Any exile has not right to profit from that country's spoils of war.

All these people never organized themselves to fight Sadam while on exile and never went into defending their fellow Iraqis when Sadam was torturing them and gassing them.

This is going to infuriate the groups that are now minorities so they have not chance into being part of the Iraqi government decisions.

Let's bring the exiles to take over the country now.

Welcome to democracy Mr. Bush style.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nobody on this board can possibly know the circumstances of every exile, or what their lives were like before being exiled.

It seems that the main objection is that these exiles have the opportunity to influence the outcome of the vote.

It is their country; for any of us to say that they have no right to vote is presumptuous and meddling.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well is also not business of the US to meddle into the Iraqi people affairs and that is exactly what US is doing in that country.

We have become presumptuous and meddling thanks to Bush war and invasion of Iraq, that is why we are right here and right now talking about that country, after all our own are dying in their lands.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well is also not business of the US to meddle into the Iraqi people affairs and that is exactly what US is doing in that country.

We have become presumptuous and meddling thanks to Bush war and invasion of Iraq, that is why we are right here and right now talking about that country, after all our own are dying in their lands.

You have voted marg6043 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Selectovision 101, marg?
I didn't see any mention made by you about the "meddling" that Iran and Syria are doing, in regards to the upcoming elections. Them there blinders do work only one way.....?

seekerof

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Selectovision 101, marg?
I didn't see any mention made by you about the "meddling" that Iran and Syria are doing, in regards to the upcoming elections. Them there blinders do work only one way.....?
seekerof

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Seekerof]

Sorry Seekerof but I did not see Iran and Syria, invading Iraq, and meddling in putting a libian or Iranian PM of their choices, I has seen US doing that, perhaps I missed that one.

Humm, I most be blind after all like you said.

Will you be so kind as to show me what did I miss.?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Nobody on this board can possibly know the circumstances of every exile, or what their lives were like before being exiled.

It seems that the main objection is that these exiles have the opportunity to influence the outcome of the vote.

It is their country; for any of us to say that they have no right to vote is presumptuous and meddling.

Good point and one that I agree with.

I think that allowing exiled idividuals to vote might well be the very best thing for democracy in their country.

What better people to vote then those that experienced democracy first hand? We all know or at least can assume the average Iraqi has no idea what democracy really is.

Any sane individual also knows that The Fanatics do not want them to learn what it is.

Saddam thought the US was nothing more then western cowboys. Why you ask?

He never left the country and visited others thats why.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Somehow I doubt that the Bush war is what made some of us meddlers. After all, there are people here who do not think that Saddam was a "horrible" dictator to begin with.

from shots
What better people to vote then those that experienced democracy first hand?

That is a good point, one that I hadn't thought of. When the terrorists are finally gone from Iraq, the exiles can return and spread the word about the benefits of democracy.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

That is a good point, one that I hadn't thought of. When the terrorists are finally gone from Iraq, the exiles can return and spread the word about the benefits of democracy.

Wishfull thinking and honestly will like it to be truth, perhaps the Iraqi exiles living in the US, will be that kind, but trust me they will never go back to Iraq to die for democracy they will rather allowed our proud American soldiers to die for them.

And for the exiles Jsobecky, most of them ran away from Iraq during the ivasion to Iran and Syria, they are not pro democracy at all, they are pro-Sadam regime and those are the ones that will be allowed to vote?

Or only the exiles in the US that will never go back to Iraq, because life is to good in the US but their votes ensure that the type of poppet government our administration wants will be in place.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

And for the exiles Jsobecky, most of them ran away from Iraq during the ivasion to Iran and Syria, they are not pro democracy at all, they are pro-Sadam regime and those are the ones that will be allowed to vote?

Many of these are still on 'arrest on sight' lists so even if they do vote this one time, they will not be able to return.

You cannot take away the vote of the 'good' exiles beause of them. And as for leaving Iraq in the first place, I would remove my family if I were in the same position, rather than let the crazies terrorists and insurgents set off car bombs in front of their schools.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You cannot take away the vote of the 'good' exiles beause of them. And as for leaving Iraq in the first place, I would remove my family if I were in the same position, rather than let the crazies terrorists and insurgents set off car bombs in front of their schools.

You know I agree with you, I would have been one of the first ones to leave my country to keep my family out of harms way.

But onces in a country like American with a job and my family safe, you bet I will want to stay here too and rather become an american that going back to an unstable country.

But will that make it fair to my fellow Iraqis that decided to stay in Iraq and fight or defend their property and way of life?

If we see it both way, its really unfair to make a choice.

new topics

top topics

join