It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time reading the Quran, My impression

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I decided to read the Quran because of all this Islamic stuff going on. For the last couple of weeks or so I have been looking into Islam mainly just Youtube videos and yes mostly they were negative. A couple of days ago a read a brief history of Mohammed so yesterday I decided to read the Quran. I wanted to see if there was something to this book. I read an online version here www.alislam.org...

I only read to chapter 5:11 As for those who disbelieve and reject our signs, they are the people of hell.

My first impression was a monotony of lists after lists of do's and don'ts.

Second it repeated quite a few things over and over like frequent prayers and pay the zakat

The third which is really glaring to me how Allah is all knowing, seeing and merciful but only to his followers but to unbelievers they go straight to hell or burn in fire which is mentioned and repeated multiple times. Even some verses are repeated almost word for word and I am only on chapter 5.

It mentioned that Jews and Christians go to hell.

Also not to have unbelievers as friends.

My fourth impression is that what I have read so far is not very spiritual at all. I only see negativity and I have gotten nothing good from it and if I converted which by the sounds of it they do want that, it is convert or go to hell, it is the repetitive praying and dare I say hatred for the nonbeliever would get me down. I think I would blow myself up too.

I am not going to read anymore. I am done with the Quran.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: celticdog

Yep definitely got the impression Mohammed came to the party a tad late. After having a good look round at the others he decided religion was a great scam. The followers have been labouring under an inferiority complex ever since

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger
Mohammed called himself the last prophet. Yea pray and keep paying the zakat(Tax). He threw in all the old testament prophets and made them part of the Quran.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm no fan of Islam's nut jobs that do so much damage in the world but I gotta say that the Bible is not just full of sunshine and lollipops.
I think everything comes down to how the followers of both interpret the source material.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Yeah but anything advocating killing and death is strictly in the Old Testament, which is only followed as a set of rules and/or examples in Judaism. Jesus even taught that the ten commandments were, dare I say, unrealistic.

To my knowledge there isn't a single instruction in the New Testament to commit any acts of violence or mistreatment on anyone, especially because of their faith, lack there-of, or any other mitigating factor.

It's a big difference.. in fact, there's a valley between Islam/Judaism and Christianity.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

That is basically my point. Past generations wrote the new testament when they interpreted the old as too violent and destructive. Islam has not done that yet if ever.
As I said, I'm not a fan of Islam or the book they cherish.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I know the bible is not full of sunshine but at least is had a story which is a boring one at that. Have you read the Quran or parts of because that is what I got out of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I skimmed it a few years ago and thought it might make good tp.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
My thoughts exactly.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

thought it might make good tp. ......

hah Im not going to ask what tp is..

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in great numbers. Somebody said

All religion is venal. If god existed why should he create a creature constantly begging for favors and which inflicts terror and menace on every other creature/living thing.

I can understand being brought up in religion and shaking it off but conversion to another I cant. It is self deception which probably accounts for the fanaticism of new converts.
Live and let live was my hope

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I'm no fan of Islam's nut jobs that do so much damage in the world but I gotta say that the Bible is not just full of sunshine and lollipops.

I think everything comes down to how the followers of both interpret the source material.

No one but you mentioned the bible.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: r0xor

That is basically my point. Past generations wrote the new testament when they interpreted the old as too violent and destructive. Islam has not done that yet if ever.

As I said, I'm not a fan of Islam or the book they cherish.

just not true at all

Jesus came and ended the calls for violence in the bible through reformation and pointed us back to the ten commandments.

Without that the world would be very different.

With reformation the koran could do the same but as the op states big mo kinda shut the door on that by claiming to be the last.

Perhaps they could accept Jesus reforming the koran?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

actually I'm an atheist and feel all religion should be flushed. But I also know some are worse than others. Islam is the worst in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
For me Muhammad is very duallistic compared to other teachers of Spiritual Jesus, Buddha and Nanak for instance and even when he tries to make it pure non duality he fails with a duallistic error. Muslims even rewrite the Quran in their own way to correct the mistakes and measure up to the other spiritual teachings.

To make an example on what the Quran says and what a Muslim sent me to say it said:

Quran 5:32

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.

This is not pure Non duality and by defining corruption one way or another anyone can justify their killings.

Below is pure non duality where killings cannot be justified at all. What a Muslim sent me Quran 5:32 said

What Muhammad do in the Quran Paul do in the bible. Muddy the water with duallistic subjective justifications. Both have nothing real from my point of view to teach about raising above the ego (subjective thinking) to objective thinking.
edit on 18-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

May I ask? How do you feel about Buddhism, Taoism or Sikhism?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger
If you not going to ask then I am going to tell you what TP is lol Toilet paper

I can't understand new converts either, even Georges Bush's daughter converted to Islam.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Ignoring ISIS,

it's the alpha meme on the planet Earth. The only religion that's currently growing it's number of human operatives and aggressively reducing free will of operatives.

It has rules for every aspect of human life. It's naked mind control.

It will strip 100% of free will from a human if allowed to fully install itself.

Impressive, from an academic standpoint.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

I don't know much about them but if they pray to a higher power I'm sure I would not like them.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It is like (in my honest opinion) a religion that Hitler would make.

Wait until you get to the parts about burning those that will not convert.

I know the first response to my comment will be something along the lines of "the christians did it,too".

Yes-the christians did things like that-up until almost a couple hundred years ago-but islam NEVER STOPPED AND CONTINUES TO BURN LIVING HUMANS.

The christians talked my parents into taking my/my brother's Ozzy and KISS albums and burning them in the parking lot of the church back in the early 80's-as opposed to burning ME.It ticked me and my brother off-but we are alive and not ashes.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Groups like ISIS keep coming from islam-it would be fair for a thinking individual that these groups are actually the military arm of islam-they just keep changing the names of the groups so slower people will never realize that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join