It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamergate and Cyber Bullying

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
a reply to: amazing
You're joking right?

You don't see the irony of the gamergate response?

Gamers called out reviewers and developers on collusion to control the market (rather than actual quality and sales).

Reviewers and developers responded by labeling gamers as misogynistic hate mongers.

Gamers responded by doing exactly what the reviewers and developers wanted...the took the reviewer/developers word as gospel and became what they were told to become.

Childish? Absolutely.

Humourous irony at a high level? Absolutely.

Helping fix the actual issue? Not even close.

Now it has become a fight about the responses to the original issue, nothing to do with the issue in and of itself.

I agree with you. Whatever the original issue was...the pretext of collusion and ethics in reviews more games for women etc....it's all kind of smashed together depending on who you talk to...it's now become a hate filled cesspool.

What needs to happen? If you really want to talk about ethics and all of that other crap, do in under a different flag or pretext and stay away from gamergate.

eitherway...they online bullying needs to stop...It doesn't matter if anyone fuels the fire from any side...there is still no excuse for sexist, hate-fueled, threats and posturing.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
What needs to happen? If you really want to talk about ethics and all of that other crap, do in under a different flag or pretext and stay away from gamergate.

Why?

Not only is that highly insulting, that is doing the very same thing you are professing to stop, using instances of a few to brand and bully the many.

eitherway...they online bullying needs to stop...It doesn't matter if anyone fuels the fire from any side...there is still no excuse for sexist, hate-fueled, threats and posturing.

So, you agree with gamergate?

They formed to stop the bullying being done by reviewers. Ironic, isn't it.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Why?

Not only is that highly insulting, that is doing the very same thing you are professing to stop, using instances of a few to brand and bully the many.

So, you agree with gamergate?

They formed to stop the bullying being done by reviewers. Ironic, isn't it.

No totally not the same. Not at all.

It's like joining the Klan because you like the hood and robes, you'd still be a racist. Joining Gamergate because you like the stance on ethics is the same. Gamergate is nothing but online bullies and rapists that hate women. That's pretty simple.

Nothing Ironic. Gamers jumped on gamergate because they want their women to keep their mouths shut, and remain barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

Let's not forget how it started, with one guy whining about his girlfriend breaking up with him, cheating on him and he spewed it all over the internet publicly. Then it became a hate filled rage against women game developers and reviewers.
edit on 13-2-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

It's like joining the Klan because you like the hood and robes, you'd still be a racist. Joining Gamergate because you like the stance on ethics is the same. Gamergate is nothing but online bullies and rapists that hate women. That's pretty simple.

Then, by equal measure, all feminists are nothing more than feminazis and should be treated as such.

Facts, like what started a movement, or how the majority of a movement's followers act be damned, let's just base our opinion on what the vocal, very small minority do.

Nothing Ironic. Gamers jumped on gamergate because they want their women to keep their mouths shut, and remain barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

Incorrect.

Gamers jumped on gamergate before any hate issues even started up. The 'tag' had hundreds of thousands of followers when this was still just an issue of gamers vs critics.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Lets not forget how this started... This guy blogged about his ex gf having sex with 5 guys, 3 of which are very popular gaming journalists in order for them to write favorable reviews for her game.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
Lets not forget how this started... This guy blogged about his ex gf having sex with 5 guys, 3 of which are very popular gaming journalists in order for them to write favorable reviews for her game.

That is just the point where one party started to turn it into a 'gamers vs women' issue.

The original issue has been going on for years. Reviewers have been able to hide the majority of the issue, as they get to control what comments are displayed on their sites/mags, but this is not a new issue.

Heck, this issue is what originally started the two score model, one score provided by 'reviewers' and one score provided by 'gamers'.

edit on 13-2-2015 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Then, by equal measure, all feminists are nothing more than feminazis and should be treated as such.

Facts, like what started a movement, or how the majority of a movement's followers act be damned, let's just base our opinion on what the vocal, very small minority do.

Incorrect.

Gamers jumped on gamergate before any hate issues even started up. The 'tag' had hundreds of thousands of followers when this was still just an issue of gamers vs critics.

The bigger point is still missed. We know that Feminists are about equal rights and treatment of women. It started that way.

Gamergate has always been about whiny men that feel threatened by women, because they dared to have an opinion.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

Yes so private relationship issues going public. One woman and that's just his side. Again, that's how this started. A guy who couldn't move on after his GF left him. That's pretty much it. And you want to be a part of that. Forget how retarded it is to have the world Gate inthe movements name. You do realize that watergate was an actual name of a place.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The bigger point is still missed.

I know, I have been trying to point it out to you, but you made a decision and are here looking for validation of that decision, not the facts that pertain to the issue.

We know that Feminists are about equal rights and treatment of women. It started that way.

And, we know gamergate is against reviewer control of the gaming industry. It started that way.

Gamergate has always been about whiny men that feel threatened by women, because they dared to have an opinion.

I will make sure that the premier gamer in my household knows that. She will laugh harder than I will.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing You do realize that watergate was an actual name of a place.

You do realize that 'gamergate' was a tag created by an actor...ironically, I believe the tag became more popular than any of his movies, but that just may be my bias of that actor.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
No matter how much you defend it, gamergate has become a haven for men who hate women and are violently opposed to any woman that has a feminist opinion.

It's become a haven for bullies. I'll make the analogy again.

If you want to join the KKK for the cool robes and hoods, that's fine, but you're still a racist. That's what the KKK is.

If you want to join gamergate because you want better ethics in gaming, that's fine, but you're still a misogynist.

Start another group or movement. Stop threatening to rape Zoe Quinn. It's like joining ISIS because your a muslim. No...that doesn't cut it.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

If you want to join gamergate because you want better ethics in gaming, that's fine, but you're still a misogynist.

Genetic Fallacy
Explanation

The genetic fallacy is committed when an idea is either accepted or rejected because of its source, rather than its merit.

Even from bad things, good may come; we therefore ought not to reject an idea just because of where it comes from, as ad hominem arguments do.

Equally, even good sources may sometimes produce bad results; accepting an idea because of the goodness of its source, as in appeals to authority, is therefore no better than rejecting an idea because of the badness of its source. Both types of argument are fallacious.
Examples

(1) My mommy told me that the tooth fairy is real.
Therefore:
(2) The tooth fairy is real.

(1) Eugenics was pioneered in Germany during the war.
Therefore:
(2) Eugenics is a bad thing.

Each of these arguments commits the genetic fallacy, because each judges an idea by the goodness or badness of its source, rather than on its own merits.
www.logicalfallacies.info...

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

Maybe she's sapiosexual... a lot of women are.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
They keep each others agenda alive. They feed each other. I can care less for either. There's better things to debate than this. It seems trivial to me when there's so much more happening in our world. If you want her to go away, you need to ignore her. You feed her ego by fighting it out.

edit on 13-2-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

By defending gamergaters you are showing that you don't like women that speak out or have their own opinions.... Would you be one of the ones that voted against the right for women to vote all those decades ago?

I think that there are a few Gamergaters who are giving the others a bad name. The one in the video obviously has other mental problems that have nothing to do with Gamergate.

I don't agree with the bullying. I agree with some of the Gamergaters points. This doesn't make me want to keep women from voting.
edit on 14amSat, 14 Feb 2015 03:47:23 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
My opinion on the matter is that there should be no doxxing, cyber bullying, death threats, etc.

I also don't think it is fair that everyone in Gamergate should be lumped into one group and generalized for doing behavior that they don't all support.

They deserve their opinion as well, and members who are harassing others should be singled out for it.
edit on 14amSat, 14 Feb 2015 03:58:27 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
They may not be sl**s, but they certainly are attention whores.

They want these crazy things said to them, to continue, while denouncing it. Again, attention whores.

You could do everything they say and want, but do you think they'd be content and just go off quietly into the night? Hardly.

The whole issue is completely irrelevant but somehow the other side has been tricked, duped, manipulated into believing that just because someone has a beef (or in reality attention whores) the the issues are valid. These nerds being probably socially inept as they are, have given them ample attention. Sort of ironic since they're the ones supposed to be aware of what "trolling" is.

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
They keep each others agenda alive. They feed each other. I can care less for either. There's better things to debate than this. It seems trivial to me when there's so much more happening in our world. If you want her to go away, you need to ignore her. You feed her ego by fighting it out.

Exaaaactly.
edit on 14-2-2015 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

Genetic Fallacy
Explanation

The genetic fallacy is committed when an idea is either accepted or rejected because of its source, rather than its merit.

Even from bad things, good may come; we therefore ought not to reject an idea just because of where it comes from, as ad hominem arguments do.

Equally, even good sources may sometimes produce bad results; accepting an idea because of the goodness of its source, as in appeals to authority, is therefore no better than rejecting an idea because of the badness of its source. Both types of argument are fallacious.
Examples

(1) My mommy told me that the tooth fairy is real.
Therefore:
(2) The tooth fairy is real.

(1) Eugenics was pioneered in Germany during the war.
Therefore:
(2) Eugenics is a bad thing.

Each of these arguments commits the genetic fallacy, because each judges an idea by the goodness or badness of its source, rather than on its own merits.
www.logicalfallacies.info...

Sort of, but you're missing the point. The Nazi's made some amazing scientific breakthroughs and research. Would you declare yourself a NAZI because you like the science? I would hope not.

Gamergate has brought to light some seriously important issues regarding ethics in gaming journalism, but when it's the same problem with becoming a NAZI, it's all the other stuff that it stands for that is wrong. The rape threats, the death threats, the misogyny, the fierce push back against women that have the nerve to write about sexism in games. I like violent games, but I have a problem with beating up female prostitutes in GTA, and even though I love to play it, I can't argue that dead and alive is sexist. Women should be allowed to voice their opinion.

Start a new hashtag..preferably one without the retarded "gate" at the end and stop harrassing women for voicing opinions.

No one deserves rape, and death threats. Yet...there go the gamergaters....

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

No it isn't.
It's gamers angry at the complete lack of ethics to be found in gaming journalism.

And really, bad elements of both sides are doxing and harrassing.
Why do you blame just GameGaters for this?

From a prominent GamerGater:

edit on 14-2-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I agree.
No one deserves rape or death threats.
But the simple fact of the matter is they did Anita a BIG favor by doing that.
Her arguments are filled with so many holes you could fly the Death Star through them.
She does not know what she is talking about and any gamer can see it.

Because she is not a gamer and she says so early on.

It's not because she is a woman that she is not liked.
The same reasons gamers have a problem with Jack Thompson.

And it's not only male gamers that have a problem with her.

Do you need any more proof?
There are more.

edit on 14-2-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join