It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamergate and Cyber Bullying

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
a reply to: amazing

Lets not forget how this started... This guy blogged about his ex gf having sex with 5 guys, 3 of which are very popular gaming journalists in order for them to write favorable reviews for her game.

WRONG!

GG was started when people realized who Nathan Grayson is. that is what started it. all the "five guys" crap was just crap....

Of the three names that weren't censored, one is a journalist, one was her boss, and the other is another indie dev. Not sure if the actual identity of the other two was ever uncovered...i know for a while, people thought they knew who the other two were, but those guesses were proven to be incorrect.

And yes, the initial assertion was that she had sex with Nathan Grayson, in exchange for a positive review of her game, but further research and analysis, revealed that this was not the case.
edit on 2-15-2015 by Daedalus because: spelling

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
it's late, i'm tired. i'm going to post my theory on what i think is really going on, later.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Please do much more research on this and analysis. I preferably take the words of witnesses and those who had front seat to the whole clown circus.

There is no reason any man or woman should put anita or quinn on some kind of moral high ground with this issue. If that's the conclusion you've come to it's you that is WAY OFF!

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Nothing Ironic. Gamers jumped on gamergate because they want their women to keep their mouths shut, and remain barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

This is all I would ever need to know about you to know that you are the worst kind of person. It's amazing to me how bigoted people are with a zero sum intelligence on anything about the culture past whatever crap gets parroted at them by whomever tries to sell ad time by tossing gamers under the bus.

You know who that actually describes? Douches of various walks of life certainly not an entire culture thats about 45% female and certainly also contains a huge segment of various members of the LGBT community that shockingly tend to support GG for the most part.

But hey what do I know Im just a stay at home dad that is certainly a gamer. Clearly i want to keep my SO in the kitchen what with how I gave up my career so she could pursue hers.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
As a female gamer, give us more eye candy. We get totally cheated. Guys get all the eye candy and we get scraps at best. LOL at the guy in the video. Trust me, if this was for real, he wouldn't be walking the streets.

Im sorry but have you seen Nathan Drake or Edward Kenway? I can't even handle the amount of eye candy that is Uncharted I just end up sitting there drooling with my girlfriend over Drake.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The over all narrative of the whole debacle is one of sexism.
But not against women.

A movement, comprising of both males and females, that is about ethics in journalism is misrepresented as a male misogynistic attack on women in gaming.
Who has a problem with sexism is pretty damn obvious.

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What's the word for someone who cheats on their bfs? What's the word for women who have sex to advance in the workplace? What's the word for a woman who sleeps with multiple people in a close circle? A refined woman...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

Honestly, i have no idea WHAT you're talking about.

Grayson never reviewed "Depression Quest". He wrote two articles about Quinn. One was for RPS, the other for Kotaku. The RPS article promoted Depression Quest, and the Kotaku article told the story of the failed Pepsi Game_Jam, as told, primarily by Zoe Quinn, and Robin Arnott.....BOTH of whom are friends of Nathan Grayson, and both of which, he's given positive press to.

in any event, according to available data, the romantic relationship between Grayson and Quinn, didn't begin until, as i remember, a day after the Kotaku article was published.....doesn't really matter though, because Grayson and Quinn were still good friends before that, so it was still a conflict of interest, and completely unethical for him to be writing about her, in his professional capacity.

anyway, you're not making sense...could you, perhaps clarify what you're on about?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Awolscout

i'm not gonna lie...i wish i looked as good as Drake, lol

...dem graphics, tho...

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

what in the HELL are you playing at?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Alright...so....my theory..

I believe what we are looking at is a sustained false flag campaign, perpetrated by trolls, in order to purposely prolong the conflict, for their own amusement.

I believe they are trolling BOTH sides, in such a way, as would cause each side to immediately blame their opposition, despite any actual proof.

I believe that the games journalism industry is happy to let this happen, as it is to their benefit.

Now, i should probably explain this more in-depth.....

I have yet to see any examples of people receiving rape threats, death threats, or anything genuinely harassing, under the GG banner. Despite this, people like Sarkeesian, Wu, and Quinn, are happy to immediately blame these things on GG.....this begs the question; "who were they blaming these things on, before GG?"

The three women i just mentioned, are the most well-known, so i'll focus on them. Now, they allegedly have received these vile threats, and, as i recall, some of them are claiming that they've had things mailed to them..i've seen no proof of this, either...but let's give them the benefit of the doubt(though i don't believe they entirely deserve it), for the purposes of this post.

So they've received vile threats, they claim to have been doxxed, and claim to have had things mailed to them. On the other side, we have people like "King of /pol/" who was doxxed, sent threats, and had what appears to be a steak knife mailed to him, with a note that said "PLEASE KILL YOURSELF", and then there's Milo Yiannopoulos, who's wrote about GG, and actually exposed a fair bit of corruption himself...he has been doxxed, sent threats, and had a roll of toilet tissue, a loaded syringe, and a dead animal, mailed to him. And there's John Bain, who's exposed some corruption, and is a supporter of GG...he's been doxxed, and sent threats.....

So, we have this kind of thing happening to both sides....however, no proof of who's doing it...now the GG folks themselves, i don't think are blaming the other side...they're just saying it's happened. however, other people are claiming it's the other side doing it....Then we have the anti-GG/SJW's who are getting this same treatment, but they are IMMEDIATELY blaming GG for it, despite the SAME lack of proof of who's responsible. from this, we can start to infer who the more reasonable party is...

Now then, it makes perfect sense, for it to be trolls hitting both sides.....they get to do bad things, piss people off, and the conflict intensifies...nothing but laughs for them...bastards, the lot of them.

So who benefits from this?

Well, The trolls obviously benefit, as they get to watch the chaos, and conflict, so they get entertainment. Then you have the Anti-GG/SJW crowd, who benefit greatly...they get to cry victim, get lots of media coverage, so they can feel important, and they get TONS of sympathy money...as i said, being a professional victim would appear to be a rather lucrative endeavor... And then there's the games journalism industry, who benefits by being able to divert attention away from what they've done, by declaring war on their audience, and supporting the false narrative that gamers are dead, that they're evil, GG is a hate group, and that there is no question about their journalistic ethics....if people are paying attention to this manufactured narrative, they're not asking questions about the journalism, so they can sweep that under the rug..

The only people NOT benefiting, are the GG supporters. Maybe they're getting a little financial support from the community, but they're not getting the media coverage, the law enforcement attention(well, not the good kind, anyway), and they're not having their side of the story heard.

Sure, there are small victories, like exposing some corrupt journos, pointing out serious problems in the industry, costing Gawker media over a million dollars in ad revenue...but this isn't enough to force change, especially when the MSM is only covering ONE side of the story, and is painting the other side as terrorists.

This is what i believe is happening. Does anyone else agree?

posted on Feb, 15 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I always saw a difference between a feminist and a feminazi. I consider myself to be a feminist,

Good then you can change your name to Iamnotthatbish. LOL

That was the absolute greatest! I embrace all my many moods, so I really am that bish. Trust me.
edit on 15-2-2015 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Awolscout

Nothing Ironic. Gamers jumped on gamergate because they want their women to keep their mouths shut, and remain barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

This is all I would ever need to know about you to know that you are the worst kind of person. It's amazing to me how bigoted people are with a zero sum intelligence on anything about the culture past whatever crap gets parroted at them by whomever tries to sell ad time by tossing gamers under the bus.

You know who that actually describes? Douches of various walks of life certainly not an entire culture thats about 45% female and certainly also contains a huge segment of various members of the LGBT community that shockingly tend to support GG for the most part.

But hey what do I know Im just a stay at home dad that is certainly a gamer. Clearly i want to keep my SO in the kitchen what with how I gave up my career so she could pursue hers.

In this post is all I need to know about you to tell that you aren't interested in the rape threads, misogyny , Death Threats and the coordinated effort to keep women in the gaming industry silent. You're totally missing the points.

I get that there are ethical issues in gaming, but getting behind gamergate is not the way to solve it. It's like joining the Klan because you aren't a fan of affirmative action. You totally miss the mark.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

All due respect.
You're seeing what you want to see.
Not what's actually there.

Then there's the ample evidence Sarkeesian and Wu have manufactured threats against themselves.
edit on 16-2-2015 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

All due respect.
You're seeing what you want to see.
Not what's actually there.

Then there's the ample evidence Sarkeesian and Wu have manufactured threats against themselves.

With all due respect, I think I'm seeing what's actually there.

Even if Sarkeesian and Wu have manufactured threats, and I'm not entirely convinced that's true, there are actual threat evidence online for all the see. Just do some research. It's not all manufactured. There are literally thousands of posts on forums and social media against these women, You tube videos and everything. Some of it is really sickening. Even the non violent stuff, some of it is, sickening. I wouldn't let anyone talk to me or about me that way.

Do some online research, you'll see.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I get that there are ethical issues in gaming, but getting behind gamergate is not the way to solve it. It's like joining the Klan because you aren't a fan of affirmative action. You totally miss the mark.

What's that....the 5th time you've used that idiotic comparison? maybe the 6th?

This is ATS, mate.....the big lie technique doesn't really work on us...
edit on 2-16-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

What's that....the 5 time you've used that idiotic comparison? maybe the 6th?

This is ATS, mate.....the big lie technique doesn't really work on us...

The Big Lie Technique? If an analogy is good, in my opinion, then I'll keep using it.

The is ATS, mate, we deny ignorance and search for truth and debate interesting topics.

Now, what are you saying? I'm lying? You think the KKK is a good organization? You like gamergate, despite the misogyny and rape threats? Why do you think this is an idiotic comparison?

Do expand your arguments please.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

I think you might be wasting your time....he's deluded, and completely full of it. I won't provide sources for his claims, he likes to use hyperbole, and weasel words, and doesn't seem to be interested in having an actual conversation. he just wants to run around and make claims, and say "I'm right, you're wrong, because I said so"

He's decided that things are a certain way, and is too closed-minded to even entertain the idea that he might be mistaken, or misinformed...
edit on 2-16-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

I think you might be wasting your time....he's deluded, and completely full of it. I won't provide sources for his claims, he likes to use hyperbole, and weasel words, and doesn't seem to be interested in having an actual conversation. he just wants to run around and make claims, and say "I'm right, you're wrong, because I said so"

He's decided that things are a certain way, and is too closed-minded to even entertain the idea that he might be mistaken, or misinformed...

I just replied to you. You're up. Show me where I'm wrong, please.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Why don't you try reading my replies to you a page or so back? We can start from there.

That is, if you're actually interested in a conversation...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join