It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian advisor suggests supporting an Iranian attack against Saudi Arabia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet
What is your angle here? I am finding it hard to see what you'd be so excited about.

Eliminating the premier ideological and funding source for Islamic terrorism seems like a pretty good reason.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem
a reply to: noeltrotsky

'IF' Iran attacks a country it would be Israel not the Saudis. (common sense.)

Israel is not competing with Iran for market share in oil and gas, or.for the legitimate leadership of the umma, the Muslim world. Saudi Arabia is. Of course, it would require a false flag to justify it. Stay tuned.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Finaly, maybe doing some good for a change will help bring Russia and America together.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Which one?

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

What is your angle here? I am finding it hard to see what you'd be so excited about.

Eliminating the premier ideological and funding source for Islamic terrorism seems like a pretty good reason.

So you are guessing that taking saudis out of the picture will end muslim terorism.... right...

Confrontation between the two biggest countries in Middle east will benefit no one. A major war will unravel if Saudis and Iranians go to war.
As someone posted above these too nations are the most influential in the middles east, they will drag every other country in the region to war, from egypt to UAE.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Which one?

Take your pick. Easy 90% hail to Wahhabism.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I see this as a plausible scenario, more like a last resort coming from Russia tho, now that the low oil prices are shredding its economy.
The calculated leak makes all the more sense, the russians are hoping they wont have to turn to this proxy war because they know a war in the middle east between Iran and Saudi Arabia could escalate really fast.
Not suicidal, but it sure is playing with fire, yet Putin wont hesitate to take such actions if he sees he's left with no other choice.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: payta
So you are guessing that taking saudis out of the picture will end muslim terorism.... right...

History says you are very wrong.

Crusades? But, but, but nothing. An edict from the Pope created crusades. An edict from Mecca is the equivalent in Islam.

Confrontation between the two biggest countries in Middle east will benefit no one. A major war will unravel if Saudis and Iranians go to war.
As someone posted above these too nations are the most influential in the middles east, they will drag every other country in the region to war, from egypt to UAE.

I hate to break it to you, but every country in the ME is currently overtly engaged in a war, or covertly supplying those that are currently engaged.

That includes Egypt and UAE.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: payta
It has far more to do with what the current low prices are doing to the Saudi's.

They are loosing money right now too. But, they only ever planned on riding out an oil storm. If Iran opens a military front, they have problems. They don't have the fiscal reserves to handle both issues at one time.

Iran, due to long term sanctions is used to operating on shoe strings. Russia, same thing.

Saudi Arabia, not so much.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Just the rumor of war between the possessors of the largest energy reserves in the region could drive prices up. That may be the whole purpose of this "leak." a reply to: payta

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
The Moscow Times isn`t the best source of information, and is not on the side of the Kremlin, so I would not hold that much value to the information.
The Moscow Times

The Moscow Times actually knows some of the civilians on that advisory council...so, yes, I find the article legitimate.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

The Moscow Times isn`t the best source of information, and is not on the side of the Kremlin, so I would not hold that much value to the information

So if it isn't on the side of the Kremlin the information has no value?

Imagine that...

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

good insight and analysis

good closing thought that ought to haunt the readers mind for a long spell afterwards

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

An iranian invasion, or any kind of open aggression towards Saudi Arabia, on saudi soil, is not the same as some country being involved in a proxy war or conflict as it's happening in Syria with ISIS.
If you look to start a war between the two most influencial nations of a region, you better be aware things can get out of hand quickly. It's not the same as these countries pulling the strings of rebels in some neutral nation.
While a proxy war is a safe bet, direct confrontation between two superpowers(regionally speaking) is not. No matter who's behind the scenes.
Just think of it, what would happen if France attacked the UK, Brazil invaded Colombia, or India took on China.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

This is how I see it as well. It is a huge gamble and playing with fire.

However...if the Russian economy is going to be under long term attack by crippling sanctions and depressed Oil prices then the one way to save Russia is to boost Oil prices. An attack on Saudi Arabia would do that in a real hurry.

As a bonus Russia gets to sell boat loads of weapons to Iran.

Looks to be a possible counter move against economic warfare that the US is starting to use to pressure countries.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
Just the rumor of war between the possessors of the largest energy reserves in the region could drive prices up. That may be the whole purpose of this "leak." a reply to: payta

Exactly. I think they are willing to do it (and count that everyone else knows they are), but are hoping not to.
edit on 10-2-2015 by payta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Just some reactionary Ruskie yapping his mouth off....
The war between Iran, and the Saudis is a couple years, if not a decade away......it will come in time though.......

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

If you add in the Iranian frustrations over Nuke development and sanctions imposed on them then you get a Win - Win for Russia and Iran.

Russia helps Iran finish off it's nuke program by veto'ing and UN actions and providing cover and even indirect support. In return Iran stirs up issues with the Saudis, possibly not a full war but at least an 'incident' and lots of sabre rattling. Full war if Iran thinks it has the upper hand.

Scary how all the pieces fit sometimes...

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Just some reactionary Ruskie yapping his mouth off....

Let's hope

The idea has merit however. If I was a Putin adviser I would have to spend some serious time considering it and all the ramifications. Let's hope Putin doesn't read ATS!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I don't think the Russian leader gives a damn about economics.

He just wants to play soldiers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join