It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Someone needs a hug!!!

Yes but that's a separate issue.

People use it. It's a slur. They should admit it is and that slurs have hate in them.
It's a very simple thing. Not that hard to do.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No no not a slur , that statement is fact or actually consider it a question friend

a reply to: FlyersFan

edit on 2-2-2015 by Neocrusader because: added

edit on 2-2-2015 by Neocrusader because: added for amusement

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
1) An acknowledgement of a backward mindset is equal to hatred...

2) & the same as racism...

3) & a blanket statement towards all US citizens...

In fantasy land...

& In the real world...

1) No it's not...

2) No it's not...

3) & no it's not...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

As you said, "It's no different" -
than calling anybody anything else,
based on their nationality.
_____

The United States of 'Merica,
has the world on lock.

people can say what they want...
But we hold it down...

_____

I'm proud to be an 'Merican.

edit on 2-2-2015 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I love it when someone insults me. That means that I don't have to be nice anymore.
Billy Idol

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

George W. Bush started that you know? It's been used in comedy bits regarding the way he talks.

Blame him

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am a gun loving veteran that is proud of many things my country has accomplished however I do write the term whenever my country unlocks the "full retard" achievement such as militarizing the police, citizens united corporate personhood ruling, when people know every character on Duck Dynasty or Jersey Shore but can't name the founding fathers, or continually elect the same two damn parties that got us in this mess.

It is schnit like that that makes America into

There is no doubt we have some of the best and brightest, however it seems more and more that

I digress. I have no doubt the term Murica or Muricans started with southerners as a southerner I know because of my accent and improper pronunciation especially after a few beers that it is being spelled exactly how I have been saying it. I can only hope that this perceived slight does not catch on to be another thing because it is getting ridiculous. I can't even say I have a brown bag lunch anymore without being called a bigot and it would only be a matter of time before a perceived written slur becomes one that will get most of us in the south that simply talk that way in trouble.
edit on 2-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: changed

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

Just like transgenders are fine but how dare any kid self-identify as a penguin. That's ludicrous.

Absolutely agree. If a person truly identifies as a penguin, then the kindest thing to do would be to put them in a habitat that penguins find the most natural (which wouldn't be in a school). Science tells us that penguins (and other wild animals) are always happier in their natural habitat. Then he could find a nice female penguin to partner up with. Obviously he couldn't impregnate her, but that's okay. They can still love each other and have a committed penguin relationship. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This would be THE FIRST time I have heard someone take offence to this. And you have the right to be offended at whatever you wish.

I only heard and learned the term from Americans when I moved here. Always using it themselves in a fun way, If you can't poke fun at yourselves, then you can't ever see where you need to improve or change.
I've never had any of them say they felt it an insult.

Anyway, If the rest of the country says it derogatory I'll go with that. Let me know how the campaign goes.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Lol I don't care at all cause at the end of the day I know that with all its faults I still live in the best country in the world America!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tiberius10721
LOL well yes it does have its faults, plenty of them, but we don't have to put them front of mind, it is a great place. For me its because it was the first to unshackle itself (and shackle itself in other ways) and it has such amazing opportunities for anyone who tries.

There are lots of great places to live in the world, its not competition. US ranks up there for sure.

edit on 2-2-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

The funniest thing about the pool guys is they aren't really Americans, that is a European power plug, the ground in American ones is a pin

LMAO DENY IGNORANCE!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm proud to be an average duhmerican !!!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Dramatic irony !!!

Are they Frenchmen?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

haha..good catch. My eyesight isn't that good.

OK

I changed it to something that is unmistakenly American. LOL
edit on 2-2-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

They do look a bit pasty skinned to be Americans I must say.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
America's not the best, not by far. But all the yuppies and hipsters with their "Merica" and "First world problems" (how dare you complain about the crumbling infrastructure there are kids dying in Africa, blah blah blah) should go move to Ghana or Saudi Arabia.

Now back to the Super Bowl and Instagram, keeping my head down as the world falls apart brick by brick...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Je suis 'merica!!!!!

Nationalism is for idiots. Both those that label others, and pridefully wrap themselves in a flag.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hmmm...I know more U.S. citizens that use the term than anyone. It's a derisive trrm to mock blind patriotism or aggressive nationalism.

I think it stems from either South Park or The Colbert Report.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join