It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack
Sometimes it's used like that. Sometimes not.
Not everyone is going to agree on this. I get it.
But many times it's used as a derogatory slur.

(post by Neocrusader removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Hmmm...I know more U.S. citizens that use the term than anyone. It's a derisive trrm to mock blind patriotism or aggressive nationalism.

I think it stems from either South Park or The Colbert Report.

Finally some recognition that I am not as blind as blind as I am.

It's no different than

hipster
redneck
gang banger
health nut
tree hugger
geek

All simply used to describe a world view or cultural outlook. Are they stereotypes? Sure. But if they are used by the individuals themselves, they can't automatically be categorized as slurs particularly if it's not referring to something fundamentally unalterable like race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc?

Context matters.

That is what I understand to be as well or somewhere there abouts.

However as none of these words are a part of proper language and just slang it seems context and ones perception does matter when they are used.

For instance a geek could be used positively and negatively by two different people with different views.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale
KosmicJack makes a good point. Sometimes it is used like that.
But many times it is not. It's used as a generalized slur.
Like with 2nd Amendment supporters ...
I've seen Canadians sneer 'uhmericans' in regards to it.
It comes across like the word Americans is 'backwoods' or not bright ...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
For instance a geek could be used positively and negatively by two different people with different views.

There ya' go.
Most of the time when I see 'uhmericans' .. it's a sneer and a slam.
Some folks think it's cute and endearing or something.
But a lot of the time, it's not.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Not everyone is going to agree on this. I get it.

Maybe you should have written 'many won't agree with me"

and

Most on this thread appear to be arguing that the majorty of the time it is not.

Context though is everything, someone may use the term convict for me as a joke or insult. I am able to decipher if it is used for a positive or negative reason. That can be said about many words so I think it a moot point to try and single out one word and blacklist it that majority say doesn't offend when not used to slur.

Majority here are saying it doesn't offend them and they do not feel racially slurred, it has a different cultural meaning for them so. But if it does for you, Im not sure what to do.

I'll need your guidance.
I use it on the mostly radio show, well usually Semper uses it and I laugh with him. But when do I not use it? Most people have said they either laugh at it/use it/ they aren't offended by it, so do I avoid it in your thread replies only? But am aware nobody else seems to mind?

I use to find the term "chick" a slur, hated it, but came round and started using it lightheartedly when I realised people didn't really use it in the sexist way my poor 20 year old university outraged-at-everything-in-society mind imagined.

Everyone can turn their head a little, even stubborn ol me.

edit on 3-2-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I'll need your guidance..

Do what you wish. If you think it's okay then you think it's okay. I find it obnoxious, and by the number of stars on the opening post, you'll see that a lot of people agree with me. But as you see .. some disagree and think it's fine.

This isn't a hot button topic for people to get all wonky about. Folks should be able to discuss if this is a slam or not without getting all uptight. Perhaps it could be a subject to discuss on the radio show. Does the term disrespect an entire people (as in the examples I gave) ... or is it something else. It might make for a good discussion.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Next time an American calls anyone else who is not American an 'alien', should I also start a thread on it and make a big kerfuffle?

(post by MacRaguel removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Next time an American calls anyone else who is not American an 'alien', should I also start a thread on it and make a big kerfuffle?

Do what you want.

I'm pretty sure that's been done in the past, you could check. A thread on people not liking the term 'illegal alien'. It's a legal term so I think that's where it comes from. Not an outer space thing. But go ahead if you want.

As for this being a 'kerfuffle' ... it's just a conversation. You'll see in my opening post that there are no exclamation points and no all caps yelling. It's in RANT because it really didn't fit in social issues. So this was the only place to really put it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

and by the number of stars on the opening post, you'll see that a lot of people agree with me

Hmm stars …. I'll go by the number of posts expressing against your thoughts in this thread to garner majority of sentiment.

Radio show, We can discuss it
I think it would be fun personally, it may be the first time we all actually agree on something

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Along the same lines.....

So when sports teams adopt Native American monikers like "Braves" "RedSkins" "Chiefs" etc. is it derogatory, mocking, insulting and when
the NAs complain are they just being overly sensitive? And should they do what a Mod told me to do..."Grow a thicker skin"

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz
Sounds like a great discussion, no matter if people agree with me on this or not.
If people get talking about how to better get along, then it's all good.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

There ya' go.
Most of the time when I see 'uhmericans' .. it's a sneer and a slam.
Some folks think it's cute and endearing or something.

SO I take it you that you take it as being a racist slur simply for being from the US, Not one example or even a made up one to get your point across.

I think its a slur towards American warmongeres which in my book is what people wanting war need more of, a showing of dislike from as many as possible even if it is using slurs if nothing else that has intelligence behind it comes to mind.

Its interpretation of the words then, Its a slur towards my good will when ever a nation decides and vocalizes they need to go to war on another country, sometimes the reasons are valid but as history has shown and the book "Art of War" says most times war is based on deception.

Like I said if its people on facebook and whatnot then why read and take to heart or find it offensive what immature teens have to say, I am just speculating but so are you when you say how its used, not one example provided that I have seen in this thread or even a hypothetical example to really illustrate your point, sorry if I missed it if you have.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join