It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a deep South Stormfront member MeriKKKa

The slur with the 'k' in America ... Amerika ... is a slam against left wingers. Stormfronter racists are usually far right. So if you referred to them as Amerikans in front of them ... you'd be in for some serious hurt'n.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It was always said by people in their 70+ much like Brit nothing bad was intended more of a lazy general way of talking i had never thought about it until this thread .

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

True. Better just to call us "Americans". Now if they are really pissed off, it's fine to call us those "damned Americans".
: )

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: kaylaluv

Oh, well, I'm sure that anyone who likes to use a slur can think of people for whom that term fits perfectly well and thus justify their use of the slur.

That doesn't mean it is appropriate to use the slur.

What about calling someone an American dumb-ass? I could use that term, say as an example, for the woman who hijacked a peaceful pro-American Muslim political rally by screaming that Muslims needed to leave America. If you think American dumb-ass is more PC than 'Murican, well I'd be happy to be more politically correct.
But a dumb-ass is a dumb-ass, and if the dumb-ass is an American saying ignorant things as if they are representing all of America, the shoe fits.

link   

originally posted by: douglas5
So if i would like to talk posh it is a American - ok

If i am speking to Beezer it is Merica - right

a deep South Stormfront member MeriKKKa

'mericans are they confused mexican's [ duck's ]
Uhmerica are they people that have just figured out about geography and wonder what all the fuss is about

I am really really confused by all this

I'm sure you are aware that there is a north and south America. It's just that the USA has usurped the term "America" to mean only the US.

I'm sure that pointing out this fact will hurt some feelings as well!

edit on 2-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Oh so now we can talk about how a slur is bad and we all need to not do it?
What happened to bucking up and having thick skin and getting over it?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I see said the blind man
i am up to speed now / the silent K

edit on 2/2/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/2/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
What about calling someone an American dumb-ass?

See ... if you want to call someone a dumb-ass, I can see that.
It's person specific.

But when people say 'merican ... it feels like someone is saying that all Americans are idiots and that being an American is an insult or something.

I don't know how else to put it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Would you tell asians to 'buck up and get over it' if they were disparaged with shouts of 'chinks' ? Why shouldn't we talk about a slur? 'Cuz it's okay to slur Americans but not others?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
True. Better just to call us "Americans".

Just say Americans. Not 'mericans.
Just say Germans. Not Germs.
Just say Europeans. Not eurinals.
Just say Japanese. Not Japs. (it's derogatory from WWII).
Just say Muslims. Not sand monkeys.

It's not that hard to do.
And it makes the world a nicer place.

If people want to continue with the ethnic, racial, national slurs .. they have a right to do so. It would just be a better place if they didn't.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Hey FlyersFan.

I've always seen that as a political slur, directed at the far-right, much like they use "libtard." I've never seen it applied wholesale to a group of Americans other than that.

It is ideological, an insult or slur to be sure, but not against Americans as a whole. Just as the Right insults the Left, the Left insults the Right. Sort of "trash talking" the other team.

My perception, anyway...

Peace,
AB

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Maybe some people are starting to realize that being PC is not so bad. I'd call that a win for the liberals (or "libtard", as I am sometimes more affectionately labeled)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

It wasn't aimed directly at you FF cause tbh I don't see you spreading that attitude around but anytime there is a thread about some one getting called something racial, that is the attitude we get.
All about how PC is ruining america and how people can't take a joke anymore and that line of thought.

But you make this thread and it blows up with people agreeing with you.

And no, I would never tell anyone to buck up.
I am always on the other side getting told "don't get offended so easily"

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
Okay. It's all good. No problem.

I understand that people can be easily offended that that many times complaints are unwarranted. All I'm saying is that let's call this word what it is ... a slur. If people understand that what they are saying is a slur, they might think twice before they speak.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

That went out the door when certain groups got words put off limits.

If they can do it and it has been done, then no one should be special.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Maybe some people are starting to realize that being PC is not so bad. I'd call that a win for the liberals (or "libtard", as I am sometimes more affectionately labeled)

Actually it's more like we're getting tired of the blantant hypocrisy of PC. People who espouse and claim to be so sensitive to everyone's feelings then turn around and spout some of the ugliest crap ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Why does it bother you? Really if no one let words bother them wed damn near have world peace. I always got the vibe that it was making fun of red neck americans more than anything else. You telling me you never stereotype? Im sure if I weed through your posts and threads I'll find something that lumps a minority into the whole..

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I thought the French WERE frogs. So you are telling me that Finns aren't hooked on fish? Now what's my excuse to go fishing.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Remember that the next time the Social media and television portrays Aussies as beer swilling backwards folk with a crocodile in one hand and a didgeridoo in the other.

As an Aussie who has too much time on my hands I don't find the generalization offensive, but I don't understand the attitude that some Americans take. Australians have been the Butt of Jokes for decades, yet the moment some Americans are stereotyped then it suddenly becomes "Derogatory and obnoxious."

Down under we have a saying- "Don't give it if you can't F^^^ing take it." Us Aussies have copped our fair share of insults and they may be just as bad as the 'murica' moniker that offends many Americans. Every nation has their idiots and we do our best to distance ourselves from them.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm an American, and yes, I use the term. I use it when speaking about a specific person or group of persons who are acting like dumb-asses and embarrassing me as an American. It's how I separate myself from the dumb-ass Americans. I could call them hicks or rednecks, but not all hicks and rednecks are dumb-asses. I could call them retarded, but that's an insult to innocent people with mental handicaps.

'Merican, or 'Murican, as I like to say - seems to be the best term for me - so I'll keep using it when I think it applies.

Not all Dumbasses are 'Muricans... Why do you need to involve us in it??

But OT and not directed at kaylaluv,

Even if 'Murican should not be used in language or texts, If you make a cartoon out of it should be applauded right?

Je suis 'Murican.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join