It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

They don't use the 'n' word.Not unless they are insulting another. They say 'nigga' to each other,I came out of Ferguson Mo and have lived and worked around the black culture.They were the ones that explained that to me.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We make up slur words for every other ethnicity in the world. Now that they gave us one we shouldn't be whining about it. I mean if you take offense to 'Muricans. There really is no hope left. LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
New political correctness. Got it.

Ears on fire or bombs raining down, lets see…

It must amuse the world how Americans are so easily offended by words when their government and military combine to topple whole nations.

Removed from reality.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yes and as far as Muslims are concerned many Christians are also uneducated, so what?

& furthermore we are not concerned with what a Christian may think of us...

The intellectually dishonest will not admit it, but someone who is uneducated in a topic, but has a hell of a lot to say about it, & refuses to even attempt educating themselves, is definitely asking to be labelled a fool...

Case in point, this comparison to racism...
Without referring to origin, intent nor its core demographic user...

One originating from racists, for racism, to be used by racists...
The other originating from Americans as an insult to buffoons in their own Country...

Get it yet?

I get that you believe it is equal to racism...
I don't get why though.

& to be honest I couldn't care less now either...

If you can't admit after 5 pages it's not the same as racially charged superiority complex hatred...
This is pointless.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, words are only an offensive slur if you take them to be one.

I'm half 'Merican and half Limey and neither term offends me because, hell I'm predominately ancestrally German so you can call me Kraut too if that floats your boat or hell even whitey or cracker.

If someone calls me by a word I perceive to be a racial slur, it is because of one of or a combination of the following 3 reasons

1. They don't view the word as offensive. In which case its just either a poor choice of words, lack of experience or a different perspective all of which mitigate any need for offense.

2. They are trying to troll me. In which case I shouldn't give them what they want and be offended or care in any way.

3. They're racist and therefore cognitively deficient and unworthy of the time and effort it would take to actually care what they said.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It's also satirical.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Only a "merican" would not get who or what such a term is aimed at and then whine about it.

Sheesh.

link   

In my opinion,

'merica is made up of Bushs, Clintons, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Obamas, federal reserve, alphabet agencies, mental-case cops, extra-large everything, and Jesus

America is a completely different country - the two of them are currently at war.

link   
a reply to: superman2012

Agreement on this end too...

I'd never use it... It's not for me to use.

However if I see an American use it in the correct sense it was intended for, they'll get laugh and a star out of me.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Yes and as far as Muslims are concerned many Christians are also uneducated, so what?

YOU said that those who are willfully uneducated are valid targets. So according to you, Muslims are a valid target for slurs because many think they are uneducated.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkippyBalls
Only a "merican" would not get who or what such a term is aimed at and then whine about it.

Many times 'merican' is used towards anyone who has a political standing that disagrees with the person tossing the slur. It's not just used toward the 'willfully ignorant'. And by bastardizing the word 'american' in this manner, it gives the impression that all Americans are idiots, can't speak correctly, are hicks ... etc.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I'm damn proud to be a 'merican! and a Tejano, and a gringo and a "People like you" !

It's very hard to insult a person that is comfortable with who they are deep down in their soul!

I wonder why so many people are proud to be "the victim" though ???

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Uneducated by choice & uneducated because of a tyranical education system are not the same thing...

Much like the term SandMonkey & Murican are not the same thing...

Much like thinking someone is uneducated and knowing someone is uneducated are not the same thing...

All for obvious reasons!

& if a Muslim, with the ability and chances to educate themselves refuse to do it, then they're a damn fool as well.

The appeal to my Faith has no bearing on defining wilfully stupid people.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Get over it.

If the term is used out of place then I am sure the "victim" will be able to defend against it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I was just wondering if their was a North/South divide to it and when not to use it , it was a word that people from the war years would use to describe a American but did not mean anything bad about it i think .

Some area's of the U.K can be very economical with the amount of letters we use in a word , the fewer the better is the golden rule .

The word I can have 15 different meanings in Scotland all depending on how long and deep you hold on to it

i just thought shortening the A from America was a normal thing thanks for pointing it out so i do not look more foolish than i am already

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkippyBalls
Get over it.

I'm not uptight about it to 'get over it'. It's a discussion.
Do you tell black people to 'get over' being called the N word?
Do you tell Canadians to 'get over' being called Seal F'ers?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The power that lies within a changing lexicon is rarely recognized, much less the intentional directing of its progress.

You can almost see the lines of code in responses nowadays.

"Pop Culture" runs much deeper than just things like music and books and it isn't random.

FF, I believe words only have the power we give them. In a conventional sense, that disagrees with the premise of the thread. However, I also believe that the power given can guide society in ways that most are not aware.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Do you tell black people to 'get over' being called the N word? Do you tell Canadians to 'get over' being called Seal F'ers?

N word refers to slavery and is racist.

Seal F-ers refers to animal sex and is a profanity.

Muricans refers to a type of American mindset.

If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.

It's a discussion.

On top of the page it says "rant".

Get over it.
edit on 2-2-2015 by SkippyBalls because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

I was just wondering if their was a North/South divide to it and when not to use it , it was a word that people from the war years would use to describe a American but did not mean anything bad about it i think .
Some area's of the U.K can be very economical with the amount of letters we use in a word , the fewer the better is the golden rule .
The word I can have 15 different meanings in Scotland all depending on how long and deep you hold on to it
i just thought shortening the A from America was a normal thing thanks for pointing it out so i do not look more foolish than i am already

Yep. Those words "Yankee and Confederate" (I think) originated during our civil war. Now, these many years after that war, the whole of the U.S. is sometimes referred to as "Yanks". Doesn't bother me one bit, and I don't see it as a slur.

...And "Brit"? Never crossed my mind to view it as a slur, but a rather a short-cut in speech and typing, and if you only know someone is from Britain, and maybe not know the exact location. When I say "Brit", it's affectionate! : )

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So if i would like to talk posh it is a American - ok

If i am speking to Beezer it is Merica - right

a deep South Stormfront member MeriKKKa

'mericans are they confused mexican's [ duck's ]
Uhmerica are they people that have just figured out about geography and wonder what all the fuss is about

I am really really confused by all this

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join