It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Christianophobia,' Anti-Christian Hostility Infects Powerful Elite Subculture

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

i'm a christian too, but if one day i went slightly bonkers and thought i saw jesus in a flower or something, ya know, i wouldn't want to have to be worried that my temporary insanity was worthy of a jail sentence or a death sentence.
edit on 1-2-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Thanks for your opinion, you can believe or not believe what you wish. Just don't last out at Christians for having Christian beliefs.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

i'm a christian too, but if one day i went slightly bonkers and thought i saw jesus in a flower or something, ya know, i wouldn't want to have to be worried that my temporary insanity was worthy of a jail sentence or a death sentence.

I think that we'd have to worry about from man, not because of our religion, but because of their fear.

Then again, men fear about almost anything and everything, so why should mental health and religion be any different, a long time ago, now, or later? Somehow I doubt much will change....

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

you are just mad because the government works better than religion does and that makes it look even worse.

Tell me that was a joke ?

Those that deify the state make christians look like choir boys.

Absolute despostism.

The sheer MILLIONS of people murdered.

The TRILLIONS they have stole from people.

The SHEER AMOUNT of land taken.

RELIGION doesn't even hold a candle to government 'morality'.
edit on 1-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
a reply to: Puppylove

Thanks for your opinion, you can believe or not believe what you wish. Just don't last out at Christians for having Christian beliefs.

You said:

non-Christians are offended when any sense of morality is displayed or encouraged.

Is it a "Christian" belief that people who don't have "Christian" beliefs have no sense of morality? Or is that just your "opinion"?

edit on 1-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
originally posted by: Harvin
a reply to: Annee

There are sooooo many types of Christians and once people go "what about dem there Westburo Baptist Churchers (all 6 of them)" then i should realize its just pointless. It is a form of bias and if it was not this it would be something else.

ETA: Westboro Baptist Church never bothered me even though i disagree with them on all points they seem to bring forward and for the life of me never figure out why people made such an issue of them and now we never hear from them. Part of me thinks that maybe it was a free speech issue that they were throwing up in our faces. But i guess i just defined the term "tolerance".

My biggest pet peeve on the PLANET! Westboro Baptist "Lawyers" Not church. Ok.

Wiki

WBC pickets approximately six locations every day, including many in Topeka and some events farther afield. On Sundays, up to 15 churches may receive pickets.

You will NEVER see a church picketing another church. You will not see a church picketing the funeral of a soldier with a sign saying "God hates f*gs". It DOESN'T happen. If it does, THEY ARE NOT A CHURCH. The group that picketed the Muslims outside the legislators office? NOT CHRISTIANS.

Westboro is a LAW group masquerading as a church for tax benefits and have sadly suckered people into thinking they are Christians.

Fred Phelps graduated from Washburn University School of Law in Topeka in 1962 and designed his church/family as a giant law firm used to sue those angry enough to retaliate against the "church" or to bar its offensive activities from their communities. Eleven of Phelps' thirteen children are lawyers. All five of the attorneys for the Phelps Chartered Law Firm, which Fred Phelps founded in 1964, are his children.

By filing as a church, every lawsuit they win, they do NOT pay any taxes on it! See, Fred was a bigot, but he was a smart bigot! He would then pump the money into Pickets, get rearrested somewhere. A city would claim he broke the law, he would sue and say he was within his rights, the city would quietly pay, and more money into another picket into another city, rinse and repeat. How do you think they can afford so many pickets in so many cities every day? And now as a "church", they can get donations too. And as a Legal group in their town that STILL practices law, they get paid a regular fee, that they turn right around and dump right back into their little "church". Smart, no? Business? Yes! Church? NO! I just wish people would stop calling them that.

edit on 2/1/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
originally posted by: Harvin
a reply to: Annee

There are sooooo many types of Christians and once people go "what about dem there Westburo Baptist Churchers (all 6 of them)" then i should realize its just pointless. It is a form of bias and if it was not this it would be something else.

ETA: Westboro Baptist Church never bothered me even though i disagree with them on all points they seem to bring forward and for the life of me never figure out why people made such an issue of them and now we never hear from them. Part of me thinks that maybe it was a free speech issue that they were throwing up in our faces. But i guess i just defined the term "tolerance".

Wiki

WBC pickets approximately six locations every day, including many in Topeka and some events farther afield. On Sundays, up to 15 churches may receive pickets.

You will NEVER see a church picketing another church. You will not see a church picketing the funeral of a soldier with a sign saying "God hates f*gs". It DOESN'T happen. If it does, THEY ARE NOT A CHURCH. The group that picketed the Muslims outside the legislators office? NOT CHRISTIANS.

Westboro is a LAW group masquerading as a church for tax benefits and have sadly suckered people into thinking they are Christians.

Fred Phelps graduated from Washburn University School of Law in Topeka in 1962 and designed his church/family as a giant law firm used to sue those angry enough to retaliate against the "church" or to bar its offensive activities from their communities. Eleven of Phelps' thirteen children are lawyers. All five of the attorneys for the Phelps Chartered Law Firm, which Fred Phelps founded in 1964, are his children.

By filing as a church, every lawsuit they win, they do NOT pay any taxes on it! See, Fred was a bigot, but he was a smart bigot! He would then pump the money into Pickets, get rearrested somewhere. A city would claim he broke the law, he would sue and say he was within his rights, the city would quietly pay, and more money into another picket into another city, rinse and repeat. How do you think they can afford so many pickets in so many cities every day? And now as a "church", they can get donations too. And as a Legal group in their town that STILL practices law, they get paid a regular fee, that they turn right around and dump right back into their little "church". Smart, no? Business? Yes! Church? NO! I just wish people would stop calling them that.

OMYGOSH!!! ROFL!

oh golly, that was like so bizarre to read, it kinda threw me for a minute. i was explaining it to my son as i was reading it,and his eyes grew wide in shock lol good grief, i've heard it all now.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Just my opinion, but even....wait, I'll get back to this after the Seahawks win the Superbowl.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Am I deserving of a better life than the one my redeemer
had to live? Should I not suffer persecution as did my lord?
How is it that I lead a life in comfort far beyond that of
the Son of God? Surely, he loves me.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Am I deserving of a better life than the one my redeemer
had to live? Should I not suffer persecution as did my lord?
How is it that I lead a life in comfort far beyond that of
the Son of God? Surely, he loves me.

speak for yourself lol
i done did my suffering and persecuted bit. lol i'm quite happy not to revisit that.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

i done did my suffering and persecuted bit. lol i'm quite happy not to revisit that.

Ah, but do you appreciate the gift of not having too?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Oh yes, i already knew that and i agree with you. They may consider themselves a church and i really cannot say.

That said, they did make people think about freedom of speech so maybe they pushed the boundaries on purpose.
edit on 1-2-2015 by Harvin because: Editing

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: undo

Ah, but do you appreciate the gift of not having too?

yep! may it stay that way. no more suffering and persecution, kbyethanks

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

What I meant by saying "using God's name in vain" was using God's name for their own purpose. A lot of people use God's name for their own benefit (to kill, to steal, among other things). Some use the name of Christ to justify their actions when their actions are completely against what He teaches. Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant. Does that make sense?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
I tend to agree with you Krazy, Christianity should NOT be legislated. It should be a persons choice, if they choose to follow Jesus, to abstain from whatever they feel He would want them to.

When Jesus was preaching it was always a personal choice to follow or not.
I think a lot of the laws have been twisted to appear that it is Christian based when in fact it is always another way for those in power to gain personally.
Like anti abortion, while I am VERY pro life, I am a realist, abortions will get done regardless of the law. In my opinion it is each persons personal choice what they do. I don't want any of my money going to fund it but far be it from me to tell others what to do.

If more TRUE Christians led by example rather than proclaiming IM A CHRISTIAN, you cant do that!!! The world would a much better place.
Sadly, we have people from all groups telling others what they are doing wrong rather than focusing on themselves.

Exactly. Taking Christianity OUT of government would actually be more Christian than imposing it into government. Kind of ironic how that works huh?

Something to ponder, if religious spent more time focusing on their own problems and not on everyone else who isn't in that religion's "problems", I'd bet that particular religion would see a resurgence in membership like no other.

BTW, I don't know if it is just my outlook that's changed but I have been reading your posts lately and appreciate your viewpoint. Thank you.

Thanks. Always appreciate a fan

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I know that Christianity and science are compatible. I used to hold similar beliefs when I was still a Christian and made those argumentative points to the denialists. Though now I know that is the god of the gaps argument. That is why I switched to agnosticism (god of the gaps is an assumption without evidence, but I also can't disprove it, so I leave the answer ambiguous).

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The problem here is that those who follow the message, are being out sounded by those who pick and choose the passages to follow and use religion as a weapon and an excuse to hate. Along with breaking of laws and not being punished, has done a number on the very nature and idea of religion on a whole, where it is a poison to the whole.

WBC is one such group, using religion to spew their vitriolic hate, while politicians, use such in the guise of laws to discriminate, or worse, spread to other countries to seek to harm those that offend them. A lot of the countries in West Africa are the product of that hatred, from the days of being colonies to now where the influence of a hateful religious right spews in and targets all those who are viewed with hatred are now targets of possible execution.
Or the exploitation of millions in the name of religion for bilking them for billions of dollars to the point of where those who are really suffering are told to put their trust in God and keep working to tithe more to the church. And if they fail to meet a required amount, then said church will turn their back on them in their time of need.
Priests and ministers who abuse and molest children, who are not punished, or get a lighter sentence. And yet those churches, have turned a blind eye on the problem on a whole. Even where it ceases to be harmful to children but to adults and yet, there is little that is done.
These actions, have damaged the religion on a whole, to the point where the public is no longer willing to or wanting to trust such, viewing religion with the eyes of skeptism and distrust, can you blame the public for turning its back and moving away from church’s in general and seeking spiritual guidance from other groups?

This has been building for a long time, and ultimately the ones who are to blame is not the people who do not like Christians, but those Christian churches that have been the forefront and reps of the whole and who have failed to hold a higher standard, where the different priests and ministers have broken laws and ultimately live in a lifestyle that the average person could never hope to achieve. And all in the name of belief.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

indeed. how dare the government follow in the churchs footsteps and borrow their tactics. instead of god, its persecution by federal law. but at least people get to vote on those laws. and when our democracy was still wet on the parchment, the motto was "e pluribus unum", out of many one. out of many voices, one decision. theocracies only care about one voice, and it aint on planet earth. dictatorship vs democracy. do we really have to think about this one.

the government, for all its quirks and foibles, is still the lesser evil.
edit on 2-2-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Chronogoblin

What do you mean?

Most Christians in American have no idea what persecution is. Like somebody said, ask a Chinese or North Korea Christian and they'll tell you what persecution is.

Allowing same-sex marriages, abortions, atheism, teaching evolution theory in school, homosexuals, etc. is not persecuting Christians.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't know what your point is? If you reread my post, I said that Christians are more persecuted elsewhere. All the rest of your post doesn't really apply.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join