It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's Face Blurred By Saudi State TV For Not Wearing A Head Scarf

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Michelle Obama refused to wear a head scarf when she was in Saudi Arabia, so they blurred her face on TV and the new King refused to ackowledge her presense.

First lady Michelle Obama’s face was reportedly blurred by Saudi state television Tuesday as she and the president met with new Saudi King Salman in Riyadh.

The new Saudi king shook hands with President Obama at the Erga Palace but did not acknowledge the first lady at all during a brief aside at the funeral for King Abdullah, Bloomberg View reported.

Mrs. Obama did not wear a head scarf during the funeral, as is custom for any woman appearing in public in Saudi Arabia. Visitors to the kingdom are not required to abide by its strict dress code, but the first lady was still criticized on social media by Saudis using the hashtags #Michelle_Obama_Immodest and #Michelle_Obama_NotVeiled, Politico reported.

Other news organizations, such as Al Jazeera, showed the meeting without censoring Mrs. Obama’s face, Bloomberg reported.

Personally to me, this was a snub by the First Lady to the Saudi King. It was intentional, let's face it. She knew what she was doing and can't claim ignorance. But I will be curious to see if an "apology" comes up in the next couple of days. I really don't think a head scarf is that major of an ordeal for this case. It's not like they asked her to commit FGM, or marry one of their men. Heck I think even Hillary has worn the head scarf. Has she not? Please refresh my memory because I honestly forget. It's not like Michelle was moving to the area, it was just for a short time, what was the harm in wearing it for that small window of time? I'm honestly curious what others think?
edit on 1/27/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I'm sorry but that is freaking hilarious to me! That they blurred her face I mean. Pure comedy gold.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Don't see the big deal to be honest.

She isn't a Muslim, nor a resident... Her choice.

In fact, any slap in the face to the tyrannical elite of Saudi Arabia is deserved.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Dont worry, The President will apologize for her,
he has experience apologizing for The United States.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Im just glad that the Saudi people did not have to suffer with the image of Michael Obama's insectoid face being permanently burned into their optic nerves via the TV. Those Saudi officials are true humanitarians.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
what was the harm in wearing it for that small window of time? I'm honestly curious what others think?

Why should she? It is not her religion or custom, she is not property that a man controls and tells her what to wear....

When muslim women visit the USA or White House do they remove their headscarf to fit in with the local religion or custom?

So why did you expect Michelle to?
edit on 27-1-2015 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Personally to me, this was a snub by the First Lady to the Saudi King.

Why? If guests aren't required to wear it what's the big deal? Also screw Saudi Arabia. They're probably one of the worst countries in existence. Even if it was a snub I say good.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Good for her for making a stand for womens rights in an opressive society.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Good for her.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Why should she!

To do so is to acknowledge that the Saudi societal norms regarding women are acceptable to the US.

They are not and should not be acceptable.

If Saudi cannot accept our differences and goes to these extremes then they can all go and crawl back into their caves and chant little ditties.

This is the modern world where we should be at least understanding and accepting of others customs but we should never demand or penalize others for being different.

They invited her to the funeral, they should accept her different approach to women in general.

What if they bring in an ugly rule, it would make just as much sense as their current Neanderthal type customs.

P

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

If she really stood for womens' rights, she would not have even stepped foot into that country in the first place.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Good for her for not wearing it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Never thought I'd be in this position, but I have to defend her on this one. It's a stupid custom, and oppressive, and there is no reason for her to have complied. The whole idea behind those things is that the men "can't handle themselves" if any part of a woman other than her eyes is exposed, and it's ridiculous. Perhaps the men should wear blinders, instead. Good for her, not kowtowing to such idiocy!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Saudis should have photoshopped a veil on mrs obama instead lol

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I'm thinking you're the kind of guy that, if she had worn the scarf, would've started a thread complaining about how she's giving in too easily.

I'm not a woman but if I were I would never put one of those things on.
edit on 27-1-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

The new Saudi king shook hands with President Obama at the Erga Palace but did not acknowledge the first lady at all during a brief aside at the funeral for King Abdullah, Bloomberg View reported.

How rude of this POS. I don't care for Michelle Obama, but good for her for not wearing the stupid scarf. I wish she had gone sleeveless, too.

BTW, the country has just recently passed a law recommending the death penalty for anyone caught carrying or smuggling a bible into the country. These are some seriously messed up people.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
She was probably afraid she would be labeled a Muslim.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

I'm thinking you're the kind of guy that, if she had worn the scarf, would've started a thread complaining about how she's giving in too easily.

I'm not a woman but if I were I would never put one of those things on.

Actually I'm a woman. I don't believe in Saudi Arabia's customs but if I were in the country, as a guest of the President, for a day or two, wearing a scarf covering my hair is the least I could do. I wear a headband that covers 50% of my hair as a decoration, so the rest of it, wouldn't be an issue for me. I do not subscribe to their beliefs. I would never move to their country. If I were to ever move overseas, it would be England, Ireland, or Hungary, the countries of my ancestors. I'd love to learn more about where my grandparents and their parents came from. Another option I feel for Michelle, would have been to stay home. There would have been no shame in it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

BTW, the country has just recently passed a law recommending the death penalty for anyone caught carrying or smuggling a bible into the country.

I don't like the Saudi Arabian government or their interpretation of Law...

But I haven't found a single credible source that proves this "death penalty"...

Any source I did find was not only biased, & ripping off the original source...
But even the original source says "we are still trying to confirm this claim"...

So forgive me if I don't believe a word of it!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I don't believe in Saudi Arabia's customs but if I were in the country, as a guest of the President, for a day or two, wearing a scarf covering my hair is the least I could do.

False

The least you could do is not wear a head scarf.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join