It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing Possums

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I used to have a gray and white cat and one night when I came home from work I thought my cat was coming to greet me so I bent down to pet him. But to my horror it was a possum I learned as I was about to touch it

Those things look like big evil rats scared the @#$@ out of me. The thing walked right up to me too.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I used to have a gray and white cat and one night when I came home from work I thought my cat was coming to greet me so I bent down to pet him. But to my horror it was a possum I learned as I was about to touch it

Those things look like big evil rats scared the @#$@ out of me. The thing walked right up to me too.

That's funny! I bet it did scare the heck out of you. I have
catfood on the back deck for the cats and now I put scraps out
there for the possums that come up too.
My cats are so used to them now that they take turns eating out
out of the dishes.
I even took a picture of one big possum curled up in the seat of
one of my lawn chairs. He's looking straight into the camera. If
I can find it, I might post it.
I don't try to pet them or anything, but it's kinda cool watching
them. Like haveing wild pets. They're not evil looking once you
get used to them. Like I said, I think they're kinda cute.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
I think they're kinda cute.

Cute in a large mutant-rat with beady eyes - sort of way!

Sort of like ugly babies ... they are so cute, in an ugly sort of way.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I may have killed their leader. Last night I noticed many shiny eyes in my trees out back. May need to up-grade to M-60 or something. If tonight looks like the movie "the birds" with possum eyes might need to call for back-up.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Why do any of you kill possums, apart from the fact they are feral in US and NZ. ? if they are in your roof space, you can have them trapped and destroyed humanely.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Why do any of you kill possums, apart from the fact they are feral in US and NZ. ? if they are in your roof space, you can have them trapped and destroyed humanely.

We hunt them for the meat. Possum sausage dude..its da bomb. Possum pops in the summer time. Possum SOS with eggs. Awe the list just goes on.

Makes me sad, too many shots from my 10mm ruined the possum hams.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by instar

We hunt them for the meat. Possum sausage dude..its da bomb. Possum pops in the summer time. Possum SOS with eggs. Awe the list just goes on.

Makes me sad, too many shots from my 10mm ruined the possum hams.

Not much left after a 12g blast To eat! I dont buy it!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   

many shiny eyes
May need to up-grade to M-60

Yep. Told ya ... get that M-60 going and you'll
have enough possum to last through the company
that you'll have over the holidays!!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
"Not much left after a 12g blast To eat! I dont buy it!"

Thats the problem a 12 ga is too much "club" as golfers say for the shot. That's why I go for the Glock 10mm. Usually a head shot does it, but this was a trophy possum. Gonna buy a 7.62x39 Thompson Contender Pistol. That should do it!

Man granny was made I messed up the meat on that big boy............

Oh forgot, gotta a gun show this weekend, anybody need anything!

[edit on 17-12-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Possums, being marsupials, are from a 'primitive' mammalian branch. I like to think of them as being more reptilian that 'modern' mammals (of course, this isn't really true) but it'd explain why they can be such nasty, viscious little animals.

So when you cook the possum, can you put it in its own marsupial pocket? A possum pita so to speak?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
12 guage at close range is my recommendation.

Absolutely ... great for possums, bears, stray cats (kidding)

Definately the best all round thing to have in your home armory.
Now ... if you want to go for stealth .... BOW hunting!
Ya' can fish big fishies with it too!

Yep, without argument, the best all around firearm to have in your home armory is the 12 guage. Any person who has no idea how to aim, shoot, or whatever can be taught how to load one, and at relatively close range, point in general direction, and pull trigger.....will stop, or surely slow, any threat.

I once blew the nose right off a groundhog with mine

Poor critter stuck his nose out, you know how they do, and BLAM!
Mixed some cement and just dumped on top of him, filling the hole.

Sure thing, city folk don't understand country livin'

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

A silencer for my 9mil glock would be nice.
But that's illegal, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
[Sure thing, city folk don't understand country livin'

Hey ... a 12 guage should be in a city slickers
home armorment .... definately. It's the best
defense for city or country living.

(well, with a good GLOCK as back up!)

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Not if you make it, and only if you get caught with it

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It is legal to buy all the parts as long as you promise not to make an assembly into a complete unit. You'll need an extended barrel with threads. "Just in case". What specifc model is you glock...19?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I once blew the nose right off a groundhog with mine
Poor critter stuck his nose out, you know how they do, and BLAM!
Mixed some cement and just dumped on top of him, filling the hole.

Wow, im impressed at such display of skill and courage against a formidable Enemy! at close range too! I hope you know what your doing though, gee, you could've had your throat torn out or been dismembered by the savage predator! Surely a long range missile would have been safer?
and they claim neanderthals died out. Pfft!

[edit on 093131p://37129 by instar]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Wow, im impressed at such display of skill and courage against a formidable Enemy! at close range too! I hope you know what your doing though, gee, you could've had your throat torn out or been dismembered by the savage predator! Surely a long range missile would have been safer?

Yeah I agree, wow! I've heard the stories of those viscous creatures taking out entire villages!

I personally would want nothing less than a chain gun to take on such a beast!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
No I am for groundhog amnesty. Used to hunt them with a 22-250 at a couple of hundred yards just to keep up my "skills" from my sniper days. Got boring. Started picking which eye on the groundhogs to shoot. Then the damn thing got so fat for a while cleaning them just sucked. Used to like "groundhog on a stick" though. Tasty stuff with a little mustard.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You bunch of sadistic mother fudkers.
Kill it for the meat, ya, uh-huh - after the way you shot it (how many f'n times?) there's no damn meat left.
Kill it for the meat, ya, uh-huh - you de-evolved gore-mongering humans - you kill it because you like to kill and you know it.

Ya, I realize this forum is weaponry, but eh, the likes of ...."to blow the "critter" into the arms of the 72 virgins."...... is not weaponry, that's sadism.

@ elaine & instar

THANK YOU !!!!

I was wondering if all the replies were going to be bloody.

For the last 3 years we have a small family that lives in the garage during winter. I take them food every day and make sure they have water, and always old blankets or clothes to burrow into.

Couple weeks ago our dogs grounded one, and possum did what possum do, heh. I thought he was dead, never realized you don't even feel a heartbeat when they drop. I went back out to bury him (I bury all the aminals gone) he was gone, cool!
Was def mom or dad, critter was HUGE! lol

Right then, I had to flame (and curse, screw it, you ppl make me sick), and thank.

Misfit

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hey where do you live. Sounds like you need some critter control. I'll save you the tail. Makes really good soup. Man you haven't lived til you taste some of granny's possum tail soup. So how big was he? MMMMMM

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join