It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Charlie Hebdo OK, but not Dieudonné ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I live about 50km from the French border and often go there from time to time.
It's more like the Belgians are often victims of jokes from the French but, there is never animosity, like in all good neighbouring relationship I guess.
If you are French-speaking in the Flemish (Dutch-speaking) part of Belgium there have been incidents from time to time because of extremists but it's not because of the nationality, just a matter spoken language.

Frenchs are more likely to expatriate themselves to Belgium for tax reasons while the Belgians goes to southern France for the weather.

For tonight's dinner, here are two articles from the huff :
13 Foods That'll Make You Want To Visit Belgium
The History Of The Belgian Waffle

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Thanks! I'm all into the fries, will be discovering more....
Our friends made une carbonnade last night - delicious!
Hoping for some moules frites ce soir!

edit on 4-4-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The latest french story : An adverstisment poster for singing priests doing their shown with the explicit mention "In favor of middle-east christians" has been banned then re-allowed from Paris metro.

Paris Metro lifts ban on 'Christians advert'

After much criticism and a Twitter intervention on the subject by French Prime Minister Manuel Valls, the ban was swiftly dropped.

Pierre Mongin, the head of the state-owned RATP network, told AFP on Monday that it would now display the posters advertising a June concert by French music group "Les Pretres (The Priests)" with the mention that the proceeds would go towards the cause of Christians persecuted in places such as Iraq and Syria.

RATP and its advertising agency Metrobus had previously ordered the group's producers to amend the wording, pointing to the public service's requirement for neutrality "in the context of an armed conflict abroad."

In case you wonder, the head of Metrobus (the Ad agency) Gerard Unger is also the vice-President of the LICRA (french AIPAC) ... how cynical ...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Iran Holocaust cartoon contest receives hundreds of submissions from all over the world

And the winner is :

By Moroccan artist Abdellah Derkaoui.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Another example, from another thread :

Canada Censors Artists, Silences Scientists (But Good With Crack ’Ho Toronto Mayor)

originally posted by: soficrow
Valentina Lisitsa is a brilliant musician, a famous virtuoso pianist, also known for publicly expressing her opinion on the Ukrainian conflict through her Twitter account. She is a good friend of the Slavyangrad Team and has kindly translated a number of articles for our publication. Her views are always insightful and she has never made them a secret. We are lucky to have Valentina’s first-hand account about dealings with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra (“TSO”), which has decided to cancel her concert because of her political opinions. The TSO’s decision to silence Valentina’s music because she has exercised her inviolable right to express her beliefs is a message to all artists that the next time it could be them.

Virtuoso pianist Valentina Lisitsa says she has been speaking out against the "atrocities" of the civil war, particularly those committed against the Russian minority in Ukraine's eastern and southern regions. She translated articles from Europe's alternative press and posted them on her Twitter account. Her views were considered "objectionable" as well as her language - TSO President and CEO claims she used "deeply offensive language" and was "inciting hatred." Also apparently at issue, the Charlie Hebdo cartoon pictured here:

It started with silencing scientists. Now, the artists are getting shut down. Who's next?

TSO drops Ukrainian pianist Valentina Lisitsa over offensive comments

Science Journal to Feds: Stop Muzzling Scientists
Saving Public Access to Scientific Information
New Controls on Publishing Research at USGS worry Top Officials
Rewriting The Science: How the Bush Administration is Lying to You!
U.S. Still Silencing Scientists
Scientists And Scientific Freedom Under Attack

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
South African Farid Esack is having problems in order to support BDS movement in France.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Of course in Israel itself, the young Israeli citizens who dare to disagree with the current policy towards the Palestinians and, choose instead to be conscientious objectors are likely to face jail time.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Source : Marc-Edouard Nabe - J'enfonce le clou

Translation :

It all starts like a Kafka story. One morning, and you've done nothing about it, someone is knocking at your door. It's a guy who says he lived in your flat at a time when the building wasn't build yet. He explains that the owner promised him that the city council would allow him to "come back" there. You say it's not possible but he already rushed to occupy the guest room. The day after, you call your neighbour to help you kick out your "guest", who in the meantime, helped himself in the fridge and put both feet under the table but he defends himself. Soon, his cousins, nephews, uncles and aunts come by and start using all the rooms. Your wife and kids are forced to leave the apartment and find shelter further in the neighbourhood. Feeling uncomfortable because of the neighbours that are supporting you (even if one of them took this as an opportunity to use your garage), your "guest", thanks to the janitor that supports him, empties the remaining of the building in order to feel safer. Because you are getting angry, your guest, who is stronger than you, locks you up in the toilets without providing any food or giving you any chance to go out. He shouts to the door that everybody agrees with the situation anyway. After a while, you are so angry that you set the toilets on fire. The fire-fighters come to extinguish the arson that hit part of the apartment and where some of the family members of your guest died too. When the fire-fighters move away the your burned corpse, your guest spit on you and shouts "terrorist".

27 May 2004

posted on Apr, 17 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
French rap singer Booba has been in the middle of a polemic about some lyrics in one of his latest songs where he quoted 'Do I look like 'I am Charlie' ?'.
In order to defend himself he quoted ... Pope Francis statement : 'If someone insults my mother, he can expect a slap in the face ...' and concluded with a hashtag #jesuisfrancois on his instagram account.

These are the point of views of these individuals but they are worth mentioning here.
Since Booba song is originally in French, I found a similar one from an english speaking rap singer : Madd Cold

posted on Apr, 19 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
In this post, I mentioned about young conscripts who refused to attend their mandatory military duties for the IDF.
Ironically, the head of Israeli NGO Peace Now, Yariv Oppenheimer has been sent guarding a West Bank outpost in the northern Shomron region when performing his reservist duties.

Peace Now chief does reserve duty in West Bank

FYI : Yaron Kaplan and Ido Ramon, were sentenced to 30 and 10 days in prison, respectively, for their refusal to serve in the Israeli army.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Streap-Tease : The program that undresses you is a monument of Belgian television. Back in 2005, they followed a group of hardcore French zionists Jews during they alliah (return to Israel) - Video in French.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Congratulation to the French police for preventing a terrorist to commit a series of attacks on churches in Paris.
How did they do it ? The picked him up after he called for an ambulance as he just shot himself in the foot.

Man ‘planning terror attack on Churches’ arrested in Paris

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Guess what will happen if I try to show you the latest Dieudonné video :

So you will have to click this link instead.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Top Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Luz says will no longer draw Mohammed

Original thread by: Vasa Croe

Interesting. I wonder if he was put under some kind of pressure to do this. Also, what is the point of actually making a statement about this? Is he trying to mend things in some way or trying to appeal to Extremists senses in some manner?

Just seems odd to me.

Source

Paris (AFP) - Cartoonist Luz, who drew Charlie Hebdo's front cover picture of Mohammed following the massacre of the satirical weekly's editorial team by jihadists in January, has told a French magazine he will no longer draw the prophet.

"I will no longer draw the figure of Mohammed. It no longer interests me," he told Les Inrockuptibles magazine in an interview published on Wednesday.

"I'm not going to spend my life drawing (cartoons of Mohammed)."

Luz's cover image in January portrayed Mohammed with a sign saying "Je Suis Charlie" under the words "All is forgiven".

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Meanwhile in France :

Lawmakers set to back spy bill dubbed ‘French Patriot Act’

The exercise of the freedom of speech is also making waves at the "Front National" far-right party :

Far right figurehead Le Pen slams ‘backstabbing’ daughter

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Charlie Hebdo slammed as ‘hypocrites’ over staff dispute

Earlier this week, Charlie Hebdo management summoned French-Moroccan journalist Zineb El Rhazoui to a “preliminary meeting” to “remind her of her minimum obligations toward her employer following numerous incidents”.

The incidents in question were not specified and the magazine’s management has declined media requests to provide details.

In interviews with the French press, El Rhazoui, a well-known journalist who emerged as a leading voice for the magazine following the January 7 attack on Charlie Hebdo, has expressed her shock over the summons.

"I am shocked and appalled that a management that has received so much support after the January attacks could show so little support for one of its employees, who is under pressure like everyone in the team and has faced threats," El Rhazoui told leading French daily, Le Monde.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join