It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton calls ‘emergency meeting’ over Hollywood’s all-white Oscar list

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

there we go. she knows the discussion will help draw more attention to the film, which can only be good.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
White people talk about Al Sharpton more than any black people I have ever known.

Why is he so important to white people?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If they were to make "The All Sharpton Story".

They couldn't even cast for his part.
No one else on Earth looks like Al, besides Garfield the Cat.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BerenstEiner
If they were to make "The All Sharpton Story".

They couldn't even cast for his part.
No one else on Earth looks like Al, besides Garfield the Cat.

I would watch this movie.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow
White people talk about Al Sharpton more than any black people I have ever known.

He isn't....I can't remember any time when he was brought up in any face to face conversation I have ever had with a white person.

On the flip side, why is he so important to black people? Why is he the face of race politics/issues? Why do black people rally behind him? After all, it is his PR people that call the press conferences/rallies he speaks at which are geared towards black people.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: undo

Of course, I agree entirely.

However, I am fantastically biased, because those are two of my favourite characters in the history of film and television!

lol well i wouldn't go THAT far, but dang, some great scenes in those shows/films. here's one of my favorites

awww.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

I wouldnt know, my people dont get an advocacy group, because they are white.

Irish were treated way worse way longer, but hey they are white, it doesnt matter, they were born with white privilege.

We don't need an advocacy group, that's what's awesome about being the majority. Do we need an advocacy group to keep the establishments we control from treating us unfairly? No.

As for the bit about the Irish. If you care to do some actual research, you'll find that you're basically running around repeating a myth made fashionable by neo-Nazis. Congratulations. Look for citations that aren't one of these two books:

Sean O’Callaghan’s To Hell or Barbados (2000) or Don Jordan and Michael Walsh’s White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves in America (2007)

or worse, the derivative article by John Martin, The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves which is regurgitation of already inaccurate and misleading information from White Cargo.

Both of these books and that often cited article conflate indentured servitude/forced labor and chattel slavery and present a false narrative. This is not to say that the Irish weren't treated often treated poorly but they were not slaves. Do your homework. I've done fairly extensive genealogical research for the Irish part of my family back to the fifteenth century and including their arrival in the colonies in the sixteenth century and everything that came after.

Seriously, stop repeating white supremacist disinformation if you want to be taken seriously by anyone other than ignorant people who are looking for an apologist position to support.
edit on 2015-1-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

link   

I find it hard to believe that no people of color were nominated for any Oscars.

If that is true, I must admit, it's pretty odd.

I agree, but how many people can be nominated? If it's only a few people then there's nothing odd about it to me. But I mean if you go back years and years and the lots of people can be nominated and they're all consistently white then I think Al might be on the right track.

link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: retiredTxn

From what I understand The Academy Awards are based on the person's talent...not their race.

And you are correct. However, Al has made this about race, not anyone else. He finds the smallest thing, and goes on a rampage.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

He has a tendency to create race riots out of thin air and he has some degree of political clout. There's also a lot of believability to the idea that the man is a federal plant intended to shift political and societal opinion in whatever direction the DNC wishes it bend in.

"No justice, no peace", especially in situation where the average American already sees justice as having been served only to see Reverend Al disagree, is a concept that alot of us find disturbing and very dangerous. Who the hell is Sharpton to decide what is and is not "justice" and who the hell is he to disturb anyone's peace?
edit on 16-1-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

I find it hard to believe that no people of color were nominated for any Oscars.

If that is true, I must admit, it's pretty odd.

I agree, but how many people can be nominated? If it's only a few people then there's nothing odd about it to me. But I mean if you go back years and years and the lots of people can be nominated and they're all consistently white then I think Al might be on the right track.

The blatantly white history of the Academy Awards speaks for itself, but I think Al is trying to hard in this instance.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

He has a tendency to create race riots out of thin air and he has some degree of political clout. There's also a lot of believability to the idea that the man is a federal plant intended to shift political and societal opinion in whatever direction the DNC wishes it bend in.

But why do white people care about anything he says? That's what I don't get. Stop giving him an audience, and he will go away.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: infinityorder
We don't need an advocacy group, that's what's awesome about being the majority. Do we need an advocacy group to keep the establishments we control from treating us unfairly? No.

You're probably right, as here:
en.wikipedia.org - Demographics of the United States...

The United States Census Bureau defines White people as those "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who reported "White" or wrote in entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish."[13] Whites constitute the majority of the U.S. population, with a total of about 245,532,000 or 77.7% of the population as of 2013. There are 62.6% Whites when Hispanics who describe themselves as "white" are taken out of the calculation....

But that doesn't mean Al is wrong. Just because whites are majority doesn't mean non-whites shouldn't be in getting Oscars.
edit on 16-1-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

But why do white people care about anything he says? That's what I don't get. Stop giving him an audience, and he will go away.

And he would still cry racist.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
On the flip side, why is he so important to black people? Why is he the face of race politics/issues? Why do black people rally behind him? After all, it is his PR people that call the press conferences/rallies he speaks at which are geared towards black people.

Black people rally behind him because he is the face that the white media gives to the black community. If the white media would focus on another leader within the movement, Al Sharpton would disappear.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

And why would you care?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

Because American conservatives are in a perpetual state of butthurt? They have a lot in common with Sharpton in that they're both constantly looking for reasons to feel mistreated.
edit on 2015-1-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: TheArrow

Because American conservatives are in a perpetual state of butthurt? They have a lot in common with Sharpton in that they're both constantly looking for reasons to feel mistreated.

That's probably a fair assessment.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

And why would you care?

Who said I cared?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

And why would you care?

Who said I cared?

It was implied by your response. I could point out the logic of my reasoning for saying that, but then to do that would imply that I care too.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join