It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton calls ‘emergency meeting’ over Hollywood’s all-white Oscar list

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Source

The Rev. Al Sharpton announced he was holding an “emergency meeting” to discuss Hollywood’s all-white list of Oscar nominees and talk about possible action against the Academy Awards’ powers-who-be.

“The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains,” he said in a statement reported by Business Insider. “The higher you get, the whiter it gets. … I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards.”

Al, what is going on in that little head of yours? Too many people place their trust in this man, and don't realize he's only in it for the money. Guess the movie studios will make a large contribution to him, and everybody will make apologies for being insensitive.

It just never ends.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Better than a token black. (can I say that?)

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
ROFLOL

Al Sharpton race baiting again for money !!!

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Has he published his "list of Oscar nominees" yet?

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So just give people oscars even though they didn't meet the criteria?
And they say the young generations are looking for handouts. pff.

+38 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Why is it that Al Sharpton doesn't have a problem with a basketball team being all black but has a problem with something being all white?
The black players earned their spot by performance, so did the actors.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
ROFLOL

Al Sharpton race baiting again for money !!!

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Has he published his "list of Oscar nominees" yet?

I'm sure it will be forthcoming. I love Al, he is a constant source of entertainment.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
They already DO give him money to NOT say stuff like this because, regardless or true or not, it hurts them and their business.

Guess he won't comment on this list.....

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah.....racial bias alive and well within the Hollywood community..../sarcasm

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
He has a consulting practice.

His endgame is he gets paid by some company in Hollywood as a "consultant" about $100,000 or more to help them with their "race problem."

Then he smooths over their PR by saying they've made progress because they've hired him.

It's his business model.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky

Its par for course with the Nobel Peace prize, I remember this one guy that won it due to the fact he won best in show in 2008 elections.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Even if he were to convince the Academy to add more black actors, they and everyone else would know they hadn't earned it. And God forbid, if some of the nominations were pulled from those on the list, and then given to black actors? Oh my, he needs to stop talking first and try thinking.

And what about next year? Will black actors feel slighted by his interference, especially if a large number of black actors are nominated then?
edit on 1 16 2015 by retiredTxn because: ETA

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Are they also going to be advocating for the many other races that rarely make it into blockbusters as well?? Something tells me that's not the case. A great deal of movies that come out now aren't very good anyway.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Its par for course with the Nobel Peace prize, I remember this one guy that won it due to the fact he won best in show in 2008 elections.

Oh yeah i totally remember that guy!
Bet the people being rained on by drones remember it too.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Not that I really care, but did he call anyone out specifically by name? Who is undeserving, according to Al Sharpton, and should be bumped from the list of nominees to make room for someone else? Again, I don't really care, but unless he named some names, he's just hiding behind a generalization.

link   
I find it hard to believe that no people of color were nominated for any Oscars.

If that is true, I must admit, it's pretty odd.

link   
eek, my favorite actors of all time, are black. (denzel washington, for example. i mean, come on. the guy is freakin' awesome)

my favorite comedians are black (eddie murphy and bill cosby)

i just don't get mr. sharpton. i think he lost the narrative somewhere along the line. : /

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Oh poor Al.

There hasn't been any race related news lately, so he's making some up. What a terrible human being that man is.

He's one of America's biggest racists and racism apologist if you ask me.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think we should do away with ALL awards for any actors, just as they have done in schools with only "participation trophies" given out. Let's just quit giving ANYONE recognition for doing a good job and see how the economy pans out from there. It's all unfair and not PC anyways....yet another case of Wussification here.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
He has a consulting practice.

His endgame is he gets paid by some company in Hollywood as a "consultant" about $100,000 or more to help them with their "race problem."

Then he smooths over their PR by saying they've made progress because they've hired him.

It's his business model.

I guess he perfected his "business model" back in the day during the Tawana Brawley scandal.

It always amazes me that the whole episode with her is rarely brought up in connection with Sharpton.

WHAT a giant Rat - He is a cheese-eater deluxe! Not a nice Human.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't always disagree with Sharpton, but I do here. He implies that Hollywood has a history of discriminating against blacks. That may have been true 60-70 years ago, but not lately. Wasn't it just last year that "12 Years a Slave" got all the Oscar nods?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There are a few great black actors out there.

But the great "black stories" are lacking.

I'm sure we can write a story in any genre and make the hero black. The problem is that the worlds population can not relate to black people at all.

When Cuba Gooding Jr. won the Oscar for basically playing a black guy, you know it was given to him to appease black people.

Example. Does anybody remember Disneys "The Princess and the Frog"? It had Oscar nominations? Remember?

Not too many people do.

It was a cartoon with an all black cast.

Not too many people went to see that movie.

Not too many white people bought the black toys for their white kids.

It breaks down to color, and some colors don't fly.

The only color that matters is the color of money.

The " new" Annie will fail for the same reason.

The "new" Captain America will fail too.

The "new" Murder She Wrote failed.

I can keep going...

edit on 16-1-2015 by BerenstEiner because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join