It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sharpton calls ‘emergency meeting’ over Hollywood’s all-white Oscar list

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

originally posted by: TheArrow

THE PEOPLE OF THE USA GOT OVER RACISM . we did. these folks would not be rich and popular, if we hadn't.

Racism is over because a handful of musicians made money?

more than a handful!

A drop in the bucket when compared to the amount of white performers that are millionaires.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
Do your worst Al, we will not cater to terrorists. If you want a award, you have to earn it like everyone else. Oh by the way Al, 13% of a nation doesn't look 100% black. We'll use the media to destroy you if you try to muscle in on our action.

Seriously, I don't like either. It will be fun to watch them both squirm.

hey i saw you in concert (billion dollar babies). that whole guillotine thing scared the crap out of me. don't ever do that again! lol

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

THE PEOPLE OF THE USA GOT OVER RACISM . we did. these folks would not be rich and popular, if we hadn't.

more than a handful!

A drop in the bucket when compared to the amount of white performers that are millionaires.

the wheels of power/money move slowly. 50 years may seem like a long time, but in terms of how much we've accomplished as a nation, racially, since then, it's very good. we should be proud of our advancements. but we're not because mr. sharpton says we shouldn't be.

do you realize how confusing that is for this generation ? we're all in shock. it's like someone smacked us upside the head and said "no, sorry, no progress. still a bunch of racists."

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Which would be great it that were the case.

They represent 10-12% of the movie goer demographics.

No sane person is going to spend $100+ million to make a blockbuster designed for that small of a market share.

No blockbusters also means less representation in regards to awards...which are dominated (in regards to voting) by the very same actor/actresses that made the movies.

Largest demographic of clients = white.
Largest demographic of actors = white.
Largest number of award winners = white.

Wow...colour me surprised.

If African Americans want more representation, they can go to more movies. Until then, they will be a fringe element in the market.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

but i will watch movies specifically because they have my favorite actors in them (like denzel and morgan and whoopi and eddie), so they are part of my demographic.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

more than a handful!

the wheels of power/money move slowly. 50 years may seem like a long time, but in terms of how much we've accomplished as a nation, racially, since then, it's very good. we should be proud of our advancements. but we're not because mr. sharpton says we shouldn't be.

do you realize how confusing that is for this generation ? we're all in shock. it's like someone smacked us upside the head and said "no, sorry, no progress. still a bunch of racists."

Progress wouldn't happen at all if we didn't have people constantly demanding it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm getting the next flight to Japan to hold an emergency meeting. There aren't enough white actors/award winners in Japanese movies! I am a very sensitive person and this makes me angry!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Which would be great it that were the case.

They represent 10-12% of the movie goer demographics.

So, you would think they would represent 10-12% of the market. I'd be okay with that.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
I'm getting the next flight to Japan to hold an emergency meeting. There aren't enough white actors/award winners in Japanese movies! I am a very sensitive person and this makes me angry!

Have fun.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

It will never be enough. I'm with you about the confusion. It seemed to me that we were all lovin' each other and one's race wasn't an issue anymore. Then Obama, Holder, Jarrett, Al, et al, came along and told us differently. They make everything about race, and this makes the doe-eyed youth go ...uh? uh oh...we have to go back to THAT way of thinking? This administration set race relations back decades, imo.

Oh, BTW, the highest paid person in the entertainment industry is Tyler Perry....I believe he's black.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
An "Emergency" meeting? an EMERGENCY? because some black actors didn`t get nominated for a worthless award we have a national black emergency that requires some kind of emergency meeting of black leaders?

Al Sharpton really does play the African American community for fools and they buy right into his nonsense and get lead astray from more important issues that affect them.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA
Do your worst Al, we will not cater to terrorists. If you want a award, you have to earn it like everyone else. Oh by the way Al, 13% of a nation doesn't look 100% black. We'll use the media to destroy you if you try to muscle in on our action.

Seriously, I don't like either. It will be fun to watch them both squirm.

hey i saw you in concert (billion dollar babies). that whole guillotine thing scared the crap out of me. don't ever do that again! lol

I seen Cooper probably six times. He used to do free concerts at the Michigan State Fair every year. I paid a couple times. Now concerts are too expensive. 8 to 10 dollars a beer is a bit too much.

Maybe Al Sharpton told Alice that he didn't have enough black backup singers. That's the answer! Invade his world with the same rhetoric. Both sides will finally see the ignorance of it all. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We'll need one for each race, of course.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

So, you would think they would represent 10-12% of the market. I'd be okay with that.

Nope.

Equity like that (producer/consumer) only starts to emerge when that relationship is equitable from a fiscal perspective.

African Americans would need somewhere around 30% of the consumer base to make that happen.

If the movie industry was significantly larger, or if movies were significantly cheaper to produce, you would already see a more equitable relationship between producer and consumer.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

well i think the market demands it, so i don't see why anyone else has to. if these people quit acting, making music, being in politics and so forth, the rest of the country would freakin' notice and we would be asking the questions!

get this: i defended oj simpson when he was on trial because it seemed just a little too convenient that one glove was at the murder scene and the other, on his property, to tie him to the murder. yes, he was abusive, but i don't think he killed his wife.

i also defended michael jackson because i saw the people accusing him as trying to take advantage of his extreme wealth. do you realize how many WHITE people mourned his death? alot! he was one of my favs as a child and as an adult. i still remember beep bopping down the street with my transistor radio, to the sounds of "ABC, easy as 1,2,3" as a kid, and i had a couple of his albums, later in life as well . also liked his sister, janet. "ms. jackson if you're nasty."

anyway. i don't like the direction this is going in. if you honestly believe that hollywood is racist against blacks, i don't know what to tell you but sure don't look like it from where i'm sitting.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What I find crazy is that only 7 "Hispanic" Americans have ever been nominated for an Oscar opposed to over 130 African American nominations.

That's a real disproportionate demographic.

But then again, blacks and latinos may just may look at the situation differently.

I don't see hispanics getting all mad.

I also don't see Asian Americans getting mad either.

What more can we do to make black people happy?

That's a serious question.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BerenstEiner

Quit trying. That's what you can do.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Why is it that Al Sharpton doesn't have a problem with a basketball team being all black but has a problem with something being all white?
The black players earned their spot by performance, so did the actors.

Nicely said and a very good point!! You should be recognized for your talents, not for the color of your skin.
edit on 16-1-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

She would need some hard core proof if she wanted to bring it to light.
Agian I am not trying to say this is a racist snub, just that I don't think the reaction to some one bringing it up needs to be so negative.
I know it's cause al is doing it and that muddies the water cause he is known to cry wolf.

I also don't agree with the idea of throwing the possibility out the window cause a one black person of authority isn't claiming racism.
Cause yes it could easily cost her her job or status.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

more than a handful!

...not statistically.
www.statista.com...
8% of American millionaires are black.
76% are white.

en.wikipedia.org...
72% of America is white
12.6% black

The percentage ratio of millionaires compares pretty closely to the percentage ratio of the overall population. Somewhere around a 4% difference? The statistical margin of error alongside whatever parameters these ratios are considering (i.e. where do they classify dual race Americans?) makes your argument a fail.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I won't add insult to injury but I do like real tangible stats. Hard to argue with that.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join