It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the worst firearm you have ever used / owned?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider
a reply to: Bedlam

What went wrong with the Spas 12?

I took it to the range a couple of times and a piece in the action broke. Jammed up pretty good, had to send it off to my buddy to be re-combobulated. So I oiled it up good and sent it to the island of misfit firearms.

It's similar to what happened the first time I tried to use one on the job. Everyone was in awe of them. Personally, I find they jam a lot and you end up #ing around with the thing too much. I like something butt-simple, like my modified Mossberg 500 Cruiser that I immediately went back to. The Cruiser's a lot lighter, too.

I think the only fun I got out of the SPAS is that I took it to Sporting Clay nationals in San Antonio one year and pulled it out of the cart for one stand.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I've had good luck with the saiga semi auto shotgun. Buddy owns one. He did bore out the gas ports in the barrel a little but that thing is a champ never jams. Sorta heavy though.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Worst one I ever used FOR ME .... the M60 machine gun.
Dang thing was too strong for me.
When firing, it kicked me all over my fox hole.
I looked like freak'n Private Benjamin
Total embarrassment.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I would say taurus and rock island were some of the crappiest 1911 knockoff's I've ever shot.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Believe it or not, the worst firearm I ever owned was a Kahr P380.

Beautiful and expensive little pocket .380.

I had failure to extracts and failure to feeds on a regular basis with all kinds of ammo.

Sent it back to the factory two times, once they practically rebuilt it and it never stopped malfunctioning.

It left a real sour taste in my mouth for Kahr.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

You're not supposed to eat it.

edit on pSat, 17 Jan 2015 11:04:42 -0600201517America/Chicago2015-01-17T11:04:42-06:0031vx1 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I thought it tasted a little funny.

Must of been the Slip 2000 EWL.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Worst one I ever used FOR ME .... the M60 machine gun...
Total embarrassment.

We were changing out the barrel on a ma deuce once, and I did my Michael Jackson dance imitation with the glove not knowing the platoon sergeant was behind me.

Thriller had just come out, and I think I was singing something like
"Get the head TIMING
and spacing right,
or the ma will blow up on you
if you shoot it in a fight"

when he started laughing. Luckily he had a sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Bedlam oddly I wound up with a selectable semi/pump shotgun... I'm thinking probably the cheapest ones ever made. It's out of Turkey, and is in many ways a clone of the benelli selectable semi/pump guns. It's called a tristar Tech12...

I paid $550 including shipping transfer and 25 rounds of decent 00 buck.

Anyway so, knowing that bargain guns sometimes have fit and finish and other minor issues. I took it home, immediately broke it down, stoned and honed bearing surfaces, gently shaved down casting flash in a couple places, loctited some key parts, and in general gave it a solid once over and a bath / lube job.

You know what?

It is now one of my favorite shotguns of all time and ALWAYS gets a spot in the cases on range days!

I want to test it more and machine some new parts to replace existing parts that I just wouldn't want to trust my life to in the Home Defense role, but once I do this I'm very confident it will serve well as a home defense weapon much more conducive to my wife being willing to practice more with than even the mossberg 930 I have for her now. Not that I can blame her for avoiding the pain of firing my personal shotgun setup. (I've been firing it since the summer before I started junior high school... That fall I got my varsity letter in wrestling because there wasn't a single other kid on the team that was in the 77 pounds and under weight class lol!!!)

My 2 absolute favorite shotguns are first the mossberg 500's with a bead sight 18.5 inch barrel full length tube and plow handle pistol grip since it's what I learned to shoot on! And second the remington Model 10/29 and it's ancestors which include the superb ithaca downward ejectors and the better than nothing stevens 320's lol. However the 10/29 are to my mind vastly superior to their progeny due to their ability to be broken down with the tube and barrel as a single unit and receiver and stock as the other. It actually makes packing a shotgun not suck.

In general though to me a shotgun that costs more than a base line decent quality AR15 is completely useless. (truly the honda ridgelne of the firearms world! AKA stoop tarded!) BTW baseline AR15's are right around 625 right now. If you don't wear tweed and own at least one abercrombie and fitch shotgun this should be the sane man's budget cap IMO. I say this because they are the beater farm pickup of the firearms world. I LOVE SHOTGUNS don't get me wrong! But I also feel like they occupy a niche that's defined by hard use in the outdoors coupled with potential use to put down two legged predators that go bump in the upstairs hallway. Either way they're going to see a hard life, and really can't afford to be babied. Some people are going now wait a minute! doesn't that make buying quality and etc even MORE important?

While I believe quality, durability, ability to successfully and reliably fire a broad variety of shells from slugs to bird shot to buckshot to Non lethal rubber buckshot or bean bags, and ready availability of aftermarket options... I also happen to know some things about shotguns and shotgun technology that some might not know.

1. Shotgun shells are low pressure even compared to modern pistol rounds: This is why they get away with much thinner barrels than something like an AR15. It also in general means that costs can be cut by using not quite as expensive but still VERY VERY SUPER SAFE steels in certain internal components as compared to hunting rifles or modern sporting rifles. Combine this with everything on or in a shotgun being just BIG compared to other gun parts, and frankly it just doesn't cost anywhere close to as much to manufacture a shotgun that'll last a lifetime as it does to manufacture an AR15 that's decent but will basically need replacement every 5 to 10 years!

2. VOLUME: I know of very few gun owners that don't own AT LEAST one shotgun! (I'd say better than half of my gun owner friends own 2-3 or more, usually because they got given the shotgun from dad or grandpa as a teenager and then went back into the gun shop they bought a .22 in on their 18th birthday about 6 months later and picked up a remington 870 or mossberg as a used police trade in or on sale etc.) There's lots and lots of them out there and I bet 95% or more of each new crop of gun owners buys one within their first 4 firearm purchases.

Combine 1 and 2 and you have a situation where economies of scale and less need for the expensive, harder to work, and harder on tooling ordnance steels PLUS internal working parts that aren't nearly as small and hence are somehwat easier to fabricate in huge lots creates a product that just does not cost anywhere near as much to manufacture!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Unless you are hard-using your AR it will last a lifetime mate.
I agree boomsticks are durable though.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
my 2 were both 380s fist one was by bryco second by lorcin and both were given to me. both jammed everyother shot

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

I prefer not to rely on a weapon that essentially has the same mechanism as the m16....

I might be okay with the .308 ar....not so much the .223 or 5.56 nato

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

So you prefer not to use weapons with the same mechanism as the m16.... but an AR10 will be fine....

LAWL

other than them being the exact same gun only one is larger and far LESS reliable of course... yup that would be the one you picked!

Oh also, unlike the AR15 which DOES have a unified pattern across OEM'S and continents even... There's several companies whose own AR10 Product lines aren't all the same pattern!

... yeah

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

yep...never fired a gun in my life...you are the expert.....ak-47 is an inferior design....

:rollseyes:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Worst gun I ever shot... Had to carry one for years in the military and I hated this piece of crap...

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

What is the name of that revolver?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: WatchRider

What is the name of that revolver?

S&W piece of crap... No clue what the Government called it.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

If that is stainless in the photo, Model 64. If it is plated, Model 10 I believe.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

What was wrong with it? I figured revolvers were generally good-to-go compared with more finniky semi-autos...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Worst gun I ever shot... Had to carry one for years in the military and I hated this piece of crap...

I've got one I actually really like. It lives in the desk drawer at work. Mine's magnaported. I admit it's overly heavy, and the trigger pull is atrocious. And you have to clean it a lot or the thing is even worse on the trigger pull.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join