It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin "We Have The Illusion Of Choice" What Say You ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

George Carlin was one of my favorite comedians when he was alive. I looked at this video of him saying that people have an illusion of choice, meaning none of it really matters. George Carlin did what he could to voice his opinion on various issues keeping true to the values that were important to him.

As to his stance on war, meaning we are always in one, I think he as a point.
When he speaks about elections I too have felt that the choices we are given are just illusions.

I am not saying people shouldnt vote or believe in the system, do whatever feels right for you.

What I am saying is that I dont have much faith in the current system of things, because I know people can do alot better.

If we as a society ever decided to do better, start with world peace, and take the moral high road of universal love, be better to ourselves and the rest of humanity, I would be proud to believe in such a society.

Im no George Carlin but I did find him saying alot of things I tend to agree with in his stand up comedy.

What Say You ATS? Where do you stand on the issues he raises?

edit on 3-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Comedians are the barometers of a culture, and george was a genius, he was telling it how it is since the 70s.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Of course we have no choice.

We are nothing but molecules that have no choice but to follow the laws of physics and chemistry.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think people like Carlin were assigned to making jokes against the system, speaking out, just to get people to hate the system. If he was truly against the system, they would've found him dead years ago. He wouldn't have enjoyed a life of fame and money if he wasn't a part of the system.

The system's waking people up on purpose. Waking up by the system, for the system.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
i greatly enjoy his work. have you ever seen his piece on "stuff"? really funny.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
I think people like Carlin were assigned to making jokes against the system, speaking out, just to get people to hate the system. If he was truly against the system, they would've found him dead years ago. He wouldn't have enjoyed a life of fame and money if he wasn't a part of the system.

The system's waking people up on purpose. Waking up by the system, for the system.

I can agree and disagree both with your statement. People like Carlin are left in place because killing them often martyrs them, and because they are harmless. Tell me. Who listened to Carlin? A handful of people out of hundreds of millions? Hardly a threat to the system and those indoctrinated by it. Not even conspiracy minded people can agree on Carlin's view of the system.

As to his wealth and fame. He wouldn't be the first one to turn on the system. Kennedy died for it, but not without making a lasting impact.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thats a great video for the Republican and Democrat cheerleaders out there to watch because it is completely true.

Sometimes I wonder if the Republican and Democrat cheerleaders on online forums are receiving compensation for the nonsense they spew. Because they cant be that ignorant.

Both parties are puppets for the same puppet masters. And the average American citizen will continue to get the shaft in life as long as there is either a Republican or Democrat in office.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
He is absolutely right.

The way we are told our system works and how it actually works our two different things.

The Wealthy Elite in conjunction with the media select the puppets before the American Citizen even has a thought about it.
We our steered towards picking one of their puppets and for those that do not, get railroaded by the media such as Ron Paul.

Presidents have no power. They are puppets to the Banking and Multinational Corporations.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

We are nothing but molecules that have no choice but to follow the laws of physics and chemistry.

Too deep Jamie, too deep

of course we do!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yeah...he was very close to genius. A very astute observer of the human condition and geopolitics and a powerful way of expressing its. And very, very close to the way many, many people and I definitely personally feel. I had the great fortune of seeing him live many times during his HBO shows, and I have to say that near the end, his very last show, was very, very pessimistic, extremely disillusioned, and very dark. I left pretty depressed, which didn't often happen.

As for choice? Well there are different levels of choice. At the uppermost levels, of course we have no choice...and no voice. We don't even the illusion of such anymore. But there are still plenty of things we do have a choice about, and some of these choices, as small and as trivial or as insignificant as they may seem, can influence real change, even if only in ourselves.

"There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist or to accept the responsibility for changing them." ~Denis Waitley

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hillary or Jeb, Jeb or Hillary, it's just the alternate end of the same fecalith. You DO have a choice, how deeply you wish to participate in all this bullsh$t.... what works for you, take advantage of that which you can and disregard the rest. Carlin is a genius who used his comedic artistry to question the absurd pyramidal parasitic power structure which is our current reality. That to me is the mark of a true artist, the ability to use her/his selected form(s) of media to change the world and change the world he did. He is still effecting change. Hence this thread as evidence. PEACE.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

My dear Jamie1, our consciousness creates reality and it alone turns waves of potentiality into solid particles, (See the double slit experiment www.youtube.com... ) So ultimately we CAN change our experience. Perhaps this reality is nothing more than a total immersion real time simulation and we are all Avatars. PEACE

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Truth hurts some times but.....

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

George Carlin was a genius.

He took the truth and made it funny except when he preached his atheist views.

Bringing religion into comedy causes division and some of his comments about God and his kingdom were below the belt line.

IMO

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The only reason we vote the way we do is because of the civil issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc). Do any parties actually differ besides the issues that should be a personal choice?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

George Carlin was a genius.

He took the truth and made it funny except when he preached his atheist views.

Bringing religion into comedy causes division and some of his comments about God and his kingdom were below the belt line.

IMO

And bringing politics into comedy doesn't?

For you, his views on God were offensive. For me, they were truthful. No different than politics. The two go hand in hand.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The lack of choice is created by our ignorant masses. We only need to look at each other as Gorge says, Americans roll over when told to do so. How else can a Senator like Barney Frank spend over 30 years in politics that only retirement got rid of that scum.

That is who we are like it or not.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
The only reason we vote the way we do is because of the civil issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc). Do any parties actually differ besides the issues that should be a personal choice?

It is funny how the biggest issues that divide are the ones that least affect Americans as a whole. Does anyone not want to secure our borders? Does anyone not want the illegal issue in america fixed? Does anyone not want to see homeless off the streets? Does anyone not want to see people have jobs and that pay to their skill levels? Does anyone not want to see people enter into retirement with a nest egg? Does anyone not want crime reduced? Does anyone not want better opportunities for the poor? so on and so one....

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Exactly! Rather than working to fix it though, we focus on issues that are irrelevant, in the long run.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

My dear Jamie1, our consciousness creates reality and it alone turns waves of potentiality into solid particles, (See the double slit experiment www.youtube.com... ) So ultimately we CAN change our experience. Perhaps this reality is nothing more than a total immersion real time simulation and we are all Avatars. PEACE

I know. I was being facetious. Or at least I believe the same thing you do.

I've spent a lot of time with the double slit experiment, and it's application in remote viewing. The more aware we become, the more choices appear.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join