It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin "We Have The Illusion Of Choice" What Say You ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I dont agree with all he says and i dont always laugh either. Heck some of his bits shouldn't make any of us laugh and thats how he wanted it. Off the video heres some I'd bet we ALL agree on. I can't watch YT here so i got the transcript for me and others who cant either.

Give these people a voting day every year, so that they’ll have the illusion of meaningless choice, meaningless choice that we go like slaves and say, Joe, I voted. The limits of debate in this country are, are, are established before the debate even begins. And everyone else is marginalized, and made to seem there to be communist or some sort of disloyal person. A kook, there is a word and now it’s conspiracy, say, they made that something that’s, that is, that is should not be even entertained for a minute that powerful people might get together and have a plan, it doesn’t happen you are a kook, you are a conspiracy buff, a conspiracy buff.

I got this real moron thing I do, it’s called thinking. And I’m not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions. I don’t just roll over when I’m told to. It’s sad to say most Americans just roll over on command, not me.

I have certain rules I’ll abide. My first rule, I don’t believe anything that government tells me, nothing, zero, no. And I don’t take very seriously the media or the press in this country who in the case of the Persian Gulf war we’re nothing more than unpaid employees of the Department of Defense and who most of the time, most of the time functions as kind of an unofficial Public Relations Agency for the United States government.

And I’m talking about the fact that a war is of a rich old man protecting a property by sending middle class and lower class, young man off to die. Forget these foolish elections, the owners of this county don’t care about the poor in general.

We'll wake up one of these days and comedians will be labeled as terrorists.
edit on 3-1-2015 by steamiron because: spelling was fd in the a

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
i greatly enjoy his work. have you ever seen his piece on "stuff"? really funny.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

George Carlin was a genius.

He took the truth and made it funny except when he preached his atheist views.

Bringing religion into comedy cau. ses division and some of his comments about God and his kingdom were below the belt line.

IMO
George never said anything below the belt about god. He madw religious people question the lunacy and mind rot of organized religion and religion in general.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Bringing religion into comedy causes division and some of his comments about God and his kingdom were below the belt line.

IMO

Religion is merely politics with an immortal un-oustable President running the show.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If I had to pick one person on this planet whose ideology is the same as mine, It's George Carlin. He probably had a lot to do with it I might add. He made me think about things differently and wanted to know more. He made me want to know the truth. He also liked to use a skill that most of us need to use more of, "critical thinking". I wish I had the verbal skills George used in his career.

His comedy was funny because it hit home with most of us. The best comedians make you think while entertaining you. He was a master of his craft. I was subjected to him at an early age and never stopped being a fan. I've bought his work and watched his stand up. It was money well spent.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

originally posted by: Jamie1

Of course we have no choice.

We are nothing but molecules that have no choice but to follow the laws of physics and chemistry.

My dear Jamie1, our consciousness creates reality and it alone turns waves of potentiality into solid particles, (See the double slit experiment www.youtube.com... ) So ultimately we CAN change our experience. Perhaps this reality is nothing more than a total immersion real time simulation and we are all Avatars. PEACE

I know. I was being facetious. Or at least I believe the same thing you do.

I've spent a lot of time with the double slit experiment, and it's application in remote viewing. The more aware we become, the more choices appear.

I am anxiously awaiting my copy of "The My Big T.O.E.Trilogy by Thomas Campbell, his "theory of everything" provides evidence of current quantum physics and its pointing to this reality being a simulation et cetera. It should be a great read. PEACE.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
I think people like Carlin were assigned to making jokes against the system, speaking out, just to get people to hate the system. If he was truly against the system, they would've found him dead years ago. He wouldn't have enjoyed a life of fame and money if he wasn't a part of the system.

The system's waking people up on purpose. Waking up by the system, for the system.

There's a difference between pointing out truths and being a threat to the powers that be. The herd is still in the pen. Carlin posed no threat to the status quo.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: HumansEh

Bringing religion into comedy causes division and some of his comments about God and his kingdom were below the belt line.

IMO

Religion is merely politics with an immortal un-oustable President running the show.

Well said! And let's not forget that he's corrupt.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If the future is already written, then of course choice is an illusion.

But, it is possible to cheat your predestined choices and create your own...

As long as you are fully aware of the ultimate outcome of the choices you make.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I agree with a lot of Carlinisms, especially "the vote". Voting is approximately equivalent to tuning the radio on a runaway monster truck made of knives. We're in effect making zero difference in the damage being done. The system is designed that way. Corporations run the machine. We're along for the ride. Voting is just a vent for the inevitable frustration.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
George Carlin was a magnanimous man, and he was so by a simple technique...he put forward a perception in a comedic way. He basically said to those who went to his shows, or watched him on TV..."Stop! Stop what you're doing, and tell me I'm wrong!" He then put forward his perception through his comedy routine, which because of its subject matter, and the seriousness of it, was a tragi-comedy routine.

He gave an analysis on contemporary societal issues, and he cannot be faulted on his all-round general message. You could argue against his specifics, in order to cause doubt in them, but his overall message was/is sound and true. It is because of individuals like Carlin that the people of western societies will walk quite aware into the closing down of their societies. They will not trouble themselves to react against it.

No one, and I do mean, no one, will stop this, but nor will they be ignorant of it. When it all shuts down, no one will be able to plead ignorance, or say I was simply following orders and doing my job. It's this sheep-like mentality to act and behave in a way one is told, just as long as the 'cud' is there on which to chew.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

I agree with a lot of Carlinisms, especially "the vote". Voting is approximately equivalent to tuning the radio on a runaway monster truck made of knives. We're in effect making zero difference in the damage being done. The system is designed that way. Corporations run the machine. We're along for the ride. Voting is just a vent for the inevitable frustration.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Choice as presented to us and as Carlin says it is just an illusion.
We do not have any choice really over things that happen to us, or people we face. Our real choice stands only in the way we react to things happening to us, how we react to stuff and things people say and do to us. That's it. In this freedom of choice lies our free will. We can choose to feel hurt, sad, angry, humiliated or victimized, unloved, neglected, used and abused, resentful, regretful, hateful etc towards people, cultures, governments, police, the "elite," this way surrendering our power to any or all of the above.
Or we can choose to better understand our reaction/s to each and any of the above, we can change our reaction to them, making it purposefully into something of value to us by not giving away our power, by choosing not to become a prey or a slave of any "wrongdoing", by knowing how to react in a healthier way the next time around, by knowing to choose better our course of thinking and of action.

Again, the best quote that comes to mind, and maybe I'm paraphrasing, is "the best way to get rid of a system, is not by resisting or fighting IT, but by building a new one, thus making the former obsolete."

Never voted this one...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Take it away Sir George…
And Especially…

edit on 3-1-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

And his other HBO specials "Life is worth losing" and "You are all diseased", and much of his other work was different? He modeled his act from his brother Patrick, his early stuff before that was a lot different.

But as far as him in the various discussions in that brief video. I don't think he meant it quite "100%" literally, as some would take it. People then envision things, like God as being an old dude in the sky, which he talked about, which can supercede what it actually is, undermining itself. At a book signing some asked him about 911 and he didn't really say anything but, "it's good that you're thinking" or similar.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I thought Carlin kept it as real as he could and thats why people loved him so much, and still do.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Take it away Sir George…
And Especially…

Good stuff I love to listen to his stand up, what I also like is when he was a guest on shows he still kept it real.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
I think people like Carlin were assigned to making jokes against the system, speaking out, just to get people to hate the system. If he was truly against the system, they would've found him dead years ago. He wouldn't have enjoyed a life of fame and money if he wasn't a part of the system.

The system's waking people up on purpose. Waking up by the system, for the system.

The reason he wasn't, given the point, its that he really tore into one side and just made jokes about the other. But yea we are really just given the illusion of choice for the most part.

Like democrat vs a republican health care bill. It really funny to think about.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
When it comes to power in the country? Yeah, your choices are limited.

When we go shopping tomorrow, our son will have plenty of choices, but they will all be carefully controlled by us. Does he want red grapes or green grapes? EIther way, he is getting grapes. Which flavor of milk? No matter what, he's getting milk.

When it comes to our choices with government, that's how it is. We get tightly controlled choices. This smile or that one. This tyrant or the other.

No one in Washington has the political spine to do the things that actually need to be done to put us on the right track again, so it won't happen. And even if someone ran who did, WE don't have the spine to choose that person because it means accepting LESS. We're simply too greedy and can't comprehend that "Yes, Virginia" the US government really IS in an economic death spiral and dragging the country down with it.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
When it comes to power in the country? Yeah, your choices are limited.

When we go shopping tomorrow, our son will have plenty of choices, but they will all be carefully controlled by us. Does he want red grapes or green grapes? EIther way, he is getting grapes. Which flavor of milk? No matter what, he's getting milk.

When it comes to our choices with government, that's how it is. We get tightly controlled choices. This smile or that one. This tyrant or the other.

No one in Washington has the political spine to do the things that actually need to be done to put us on the right track again, so it won't happen. And even if someone ran who did, WE don't have the spine to choose that person because it means accepting LESS. We're simply too greedy and can't comprehend that "Yes, Virginia" the US government really IS in an economic death spiral and dragging the country down with it.

The whole voting thing in my opinion is a sham, meaning it can be rigged so why wouldnt the powers that be do it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join