It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma to ban hoodies in public?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It would seem that some states are paving the way for legislation restricting the wearing of "hoodies" in public.

Republican state senator Don Barrington has authored a bill to ban wearing a mask, hood or other face-covering in order to hide one’s identity in a public space, Oklahoma’s Channel 6 reports. The measure includes exceptions for holidays and special events like Halloween and religious beliefs.

Similar laws are already on the books in 10 states around the country, including Florida, California, New York and Washington, DC.

time.com...

Seriously? I can somewhat understand the masks but hoods? How much crazier can things get? I practically live in my hoodie. What's next, banning sweat pants or tie up shoes? I really hope these laws don't pass, it would be a huge defeat for freedom.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Not agreeing with a ban, just adding info.

Many convenience stores in my area will not allow patrons in the store if they are wearing hoodies, in some cases, sunglasses. They have signs posted on the doors. They have been robbed too many times and hoodies serve as a means to prevent identification of the perps on security cameras.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: phoenix9884

This is idiotic.

Follow this logic.

Robbing a store is already illegal, right?

Then a robber wearing a hoodie comes in to rob the store. He holds up the store a gun point. He gets off with the loot.

Now what? When they finally catch him are they going to charge him with robbery AND a second count of wearing a hoodie?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Yeah, Felony Hoodie Wearing..

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Some people I tell you.

I get the mask thing, that makes sense. But Hoodies?

Senseless.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Not agreeing with a ban, just adding info.

Many convenience stores in my area will not allow patrons in the store if they are wearing hoodies, in some cases, sunglasses. They have signs posted on the doors. They have been robbed too many times and hoodies serve as a means to prevent identification of the perps on security cameras.

They do that here in Canada too, but mostly just at night when there's only 1 attendant or something like that.

I can see the wisdom of doing that as well, since most convenience stores have to buzz you in after hours and there's usually a camera set up right in the entry for the purposes of recording people walking in and out.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Here's the tricky part:

Republican state senator Don Barrington has authored a bill to ban wearing a mask, hood or other face-covering in order to hide one’s identity in a public space

So what? Everybody is going to become the "Mind Police" now, assuming to know someone intent?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I take it then that Oklahoma never sees freezing cold windy days ?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I checked things out a tiny bit. Apparently many states already have anti-mask laws.
Wikipedia: anti mask laws
The irony? Most of the laws came about because the Ku Klux Klan wore masks to hide their identity.
edit on bu312015-01-01T11:11:35-06:0011America/ChicagoThu, 01 Jan 2015 11:11:35 -060011u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Though I've never even bee in OK, isn't it safe to say there's a decent amount of snow down there?? If so, it makes it even stupider to ban hoodies. When it's freezing outside, and I have to take the dogs out, I'll wear a beanie and put my hood up. It's already been below 0 here in CO.

So now every person wanting to keep warm will be breaking the law, that's just great. How will that effect the homeless down there?? Oh wait, chances are they don't care about the homeless.

So much for "land of the free". :\

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I suspect they mean in Malls, stores etc... Though many states already have statutes on the books concerning this sort of thing.

Walk home from work wearing your hoodie up during a snowfall, and I really doubt you'll be harassed.

This proposal is just about stupid...*sigh*.

Working as I do in a grocery store, more than once I've asked people to pull the hoodie off their head. Every single one of them has done so.

I fail to see the necessity of this proposed law. Other than a power tripping politician...who is, of course, oh so concerned with the public safety.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: phoenix9884 Damn I just bought a new insulated hoodie for Christmas present for myself. I also live in Oklahoma.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ban hoodies.

Ban burkas.

Ban hats.

Ban sunglasses.

What next? Ban hair?

Again, just how huge an issue is this really to be wasting government money on and passing stupid laws about? Let's see the stats.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You want to ban hoodies in your private space, fine by me.

You want to ban hoodies in public space, fine by me...

...if this is put to a public vote initiative.

Put it to a vote and let the people decide.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hoodies make it near impossible for all their surveillance equipment and facial recognition software, to build a database of your comings and goings. Can't have that, now can we?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I recall after the Columbine shooting all the local poli's were all trumpeting bans on trench coats as a sure fix.

IMHO, it's a two parter. One, the pols are either too stupid to understand how lame that is, or they're cynical enough to think you'll buy it. And two, a lot of people DO buy it. Yeah! That's it! Ban trench coats, and the problem is gone!

So it's something they can point to..look I DID something!, and it's harmless other than the IQ points of everyone dropping because of it (at least I did SOMETHING) and it pacifies a large swath of the electorate that actually thinks that's USEFUL (look, my politician DID something!), and it doesn't piss off enough of the remainder to say "My god, man, how stupid are you?" at the next election cycle. 100 years from now, our descendants will look at that law and see it the way we see laws about having to get out of the car at a stop light and run around the vehicle before proceeding through the intersection.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: phoenix9884

Republican state senator Don Barrington has authored a bill to ban wearing a mask, hood or other face-covering in order to hide one’s identity in a public space, Oklahoma’s Channel 6 reports.

One could only hope that they forgot to put in an exception for SWAT. Why should officers be able to hide THEIR identity on the job?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Walk home from work wearing your hoodie up during a snowfall, and I really doubt you'll be harassed.

If you're black they'll have free pass to stop you and just pass the buck onto "the law" whilst everyone will whistling looking away because it doesn't affect them.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Isn't privacy part of the constitution?

Wouldn't this law he restricting/removing our rights making it an illegal law?

What has more power, the law or the constitution?

Heck what am I even talking about. There's no such thing as a constitution and amendments anymore...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

What is with Oklahoma, the conservative stronghold of America? From wanting to tax solar power to wanting suing Colorado for it's decriminalization of marijuana to this... wanting to ban hoodies in public?

Why do the freedom loving residents of Oklahoma continue to vote these politicians in? What happen to liberty? The tea parties? I thought we should only fear the federal government for stripping our freedoms away?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
Isn't privacy part of the constitution?

Wouldn't this law he restricting/removing our rights making it an illegal law?

What has more power, the law or the constitution?

Heck what am I even talking about. There's no such thing as a constitution and amendments anymore...

No, it isn't part of the Constitution.

law2.umkc.edu...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join