It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

to bad he didn't mention that Newton was a Christian.

Of course not, he was to busy being a pompous ass.

yea tyson does come across that way.

it was said that Newton had just as many religious books and writing in his library as science books.
he was also convinced that there was a code in the old testament and spent years trying to decipher it.

edit on 27-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

he was also convinced that there was a code in the old testament and spent years trying to decipher it.

To think what he might have done with a computer.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Well that is taking some liberty with his intentions.
Looks to me like he is just expressing him self.

I'm as atheist as they come, but that was obviously him taking a shot. No different then a religious person tweeting anything that refers to Jesus as the "one true god", while knowing there are other peoples gods out there (at least to them). Kinda bad form from some one who has an incredibly sterling reputation.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I agree. And I would not be happy if a Christian was intentionally offensive towards someone of another faith. As a Christian they should be better than that. As a human being Tyson should have been as well. Freedom of speech, still sad about how he chose to wield it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Free speech i guess but also people take things to serious you should be able to laugh at that.
I love Jesus but i find that funny.
Also remember Newton was a christian studied the bible for codes an alchemist ect....
So he went to the bible for answers and found his i guess mathmaticians today are smarter than newton.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: buster2010

Far better ways for him to have tweeted this without being intentionally incendiary.

Ironic.

The very group who would possibly be offended by this, i.e., Christians, would be displaying their total lack of following the teachings of Jesus if they were to become offended.

There was nothing "incendiary" about the tweet. Only people looking for ways to be offended would even notice it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

a reply to: buster2010

Far better ways for him to have tweeted this without being intentionally incendiary.

Ironic.

The very group who would possibly be offended by this, i.e., Christians, would be displaying their total lack of following the teachings of Jesus if they were to become offended.

There was nothing "incendiary" about the tweet. Only people looking for ways to be offended would even notice it.

What teaching says people should never be offended? It was clearly intentionally offensive, almost everyone in this thread admits it, even the non-Christians who like the tweet agree it was meant to be offensive.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

The tweet was made by someone who is not a Christian though, and only does not consider himself atheist because he says he does not try to persuade others, so he considers himself agnostic.

Context matters.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Entreri06

I agree. And I would not be happy if a Christian was intentionally offensive towards someone of another faith. As a Christian they should be better than that. As a human being Tyson should have been as well. Freedom of speech, still sad about how he chose to wield it.

Where do you think the line would be for a Christian to be in bad form? (That's an honest question)

Wouldn't any mention at all of "most holy" or "the one true god" be taking exactly the same shot? If so that would include almost every prayer or sermon I've ever heard.

What about "Jesus loves you"? How would a Christian feel if some one was always telling you and your children Allah loves you? Or Gia? Or satan exc?

They would HATE it!!! Would consider it blasphemy! I think he was lowering himself to the level of the very people he pokes fun at.

This is a funny topic, I ran into an article from Newsweek that destroyed modern Christianity. It highlighted the fact that Jesus specifically said not to pray in public and not to do public acts of piety. That any time you gave praise so others would see you was a sin and worse then if you hadn't prayed..,., Which is exactly the opposite from the "warrior of Christ" evangelical Christians. Pretty much means almost every single preacher in America is sinning worse then any LGBT types.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

what difference does newtons religiosity make ?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06
Where do you think the line would be for a Christian to be in bad form? (That's an honest question)

Wouldn't any mention at all of "most holy" or "the one true god" be taking exactly the same shot? If so that would include almost every prayer or sermon I've ever heard.

Context. Walking into a mosque and shouting about how Allah is a false god is bad form, which is more or less what happened in the OP.

What about "Jesus loves you"? How would a Christian feel if some one was always telling you and your children Allah loves you? Or Gia? Or satan exc?

They would HATE it!!! Would consider it blasphemy! I think he was lowering himself to the level of the very people he pokes fun at.

They shouldn't hate it. I wouldn't. Someone is expressing love, even if they are misguided.

This is a funny topic, I ran into an article from Newsweek that destroyed modern Christianity. It highlighted the fact that Jesus specifically said not to pray in public and not to do public acts of piety. That any time you gave praise so others would see you was a sin and worse then if you hadn't prayed..,., Which is exactly the opposite from the "warrior of Christ" evangelical Christians. Pretty much means almost every single preacher in America is sinning worse then any LGBT types.

That is completely false, not what Jesus said at all, and about what I would expect from Newsweek. Jesus said there are those whose purpose for praying is to be seen by men, not God, and not to be like them. I do not know a whole lot of preachers who are guilty of that, certainly not every single one. A preacher may be praying so they can be heard, but their goal has nothing to do with being seen by people, it's as an aid to help others pray. Jesus Himself spoke to God and others heard him. Newsweek told you what you wanted to hear and you lapped it up.

Mat 6:2
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Mat 6:5
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Mat 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

what difference does newtons religiosity make ?

Mostly because Tyson was taking a shot at Christians, being intentionally offensive towards them, which is a group that includes Newton, the man Tyson claimed to be honoring.

So more or less Tyson was offensive towards Newton.

Ironic.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Have'nt Christian scholars pretty much established that "Jesus" was Not born on the 25th of December anyway?
The common thought is it was around April.
To do with the North Star position, the Middle East at that time etc etc.
The 25th of December, was a Pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice. (December 21) (Northern Hemisphere only)
These celebrations may have lasted a week or more.
The Christmas tree idea is a Germanic tribe one, again to do with Winter.
Queen Adelhied (Adelaide) a German Queen of England, introduced and popularised, the "Christmas Tree" tradition to the English in the 1830s.
edit on 27-12-2014 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2014 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

It's actually still in debate. The evidence supports both dates.

Pagans did not have Christmas trees, but it's likely the idea came from someone who knew Pagan traditions. It was started about 1300 years after Christmas began. It began in the 1600's.

Gift giving on Christmas is very new.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I thought his birthday was only on the 25th on the Julian calendar, not the current Gregorian calendar? Pretty sure his "modern" birthday is Jan 4th.
edit on 27-12-2014 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Let's see...

Jesus changed the world by founding a movement based on selflessness and love.

Newton changed the world by discovering the mathematical principles that mankind has swiftly used to pillage the whole planet.

So... I guess Tyson is right. I'd celebrate the former, however, if I were so inclined or had to choose. But Tyson is a spiteful opportunist like the rest of his ilk. Their whole goal in life is to piss other people off. It's completely transparent. Makes them feel superior and in control.

Christians used their belief to pillage the whole planet. And advance their religion. ( not the only religion to do it ) Newton advanced science. So those religious radicals could abuse it. Newton is not the culprit. Nor is Jesus. Man is

It's sad, really.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

utter bollox , or are christians so insecure ?

his tweet stated :

. “On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world,Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

hint - the world does not revolve around christians - they are in a distinct minority world wide

so - get over it - every statement in the tweet is perfectly factual

and christianity certainly does not have a monopoly on 25th december [ a date they hijacked ]

this faux "outrage " is a perfect example of christian hypocricy from cult who routinely attempt to marginalise the observences of other cults

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Funny how people respect And defend freedom of speech on ATS. Police men filmed singing about the death of Michael Brown gets defended for freedom of speech. A factual tweet made by respected astrophysicist gets gunned down by Christians.

edit on 27-12-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
To be honest, let them be offended, nothing happens when you are so, except that your own sensibility and sensitivity is burnt and stung by its own umbrage. Who cares?

At least Newton was a real person. The fairytale of Jesus and other religious nonsense throughout the world has helped to cause more misery, oppression, and destruction than any other ideological concept or belief system. That fact in itself is an offence! Christmas is nothing more than a Bank Holiday anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I know a number of professed Christians who are in themselves good people, but they are good not because of their belief, but because of who they are. You could take their belief system away and still be left with good people who act altruistically. Equally, I know many professed atheists, and they too, are good people. Their innate sense of self ethics and morality appears out of their life experience, and not from the primitive fears and suspicions of people from over 2000 years ago.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

utter bollox , or are christians so insecure ?

his tweet stated :

. “On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world,Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

hint - the world does not revolve around christians - they are in a distinct minority world wide

so - get over it - every statement in the tweet is perfectly factual

and christianity certainly does not have a monopoly on 25th december [ a date they hijacked ]

this faux "outrage " is a perfect example of christian hypocricy from cult who routinely attempt to marginalise the observences of other cults

What was the 25th hijacked from?

His tweet was factual, it was intended to offend.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join