It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:31 AM

originally posted by: elysiumfire
At least Newton was a real person. The fairytale of Jesus and other religious nonsense throughout the world has helped to cause more misery, oppression, and destruction than any other ideological concept or belief system. That fact in itself is an offence! Christmas is nothing more than a Bank Holiday anyway.

A fairy tale Newton wholeheartedly believed in.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:46 AM
Didn't anyone tell these idiots that Dec.25th has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:49 AM
How was his Tweet incendiary?

How is it trolling?

Why would anyone get angry about it?

I don't get it.

edit on 12/27/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:13 AM

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Didn't anyone tell these idiots that Dec.25th has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ?

Didn't anyone tell you it's the day chosen to celebrate Jesus, whether is born then or not. I guess it's just more fun for you to bash others you disagree with.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:20 AM
a reply to: buster2010

Whats ironic is that Newton was a devout Christian. I think Tyson is just a master troll. Mind you, Christians that can't deal with science deserve to be trolled (and I say that as a Christian).

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:38 AM
I'm a Catholic and while I'm not especially offended it was a troll.. My wife is a pagan and she agreed it was a troll.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:50 AM

Neil knows who pays his bills and keeps him in a position of importance.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:56 AM
The angry reaction to this joke proves Christians and Muslims have more in common than they think.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:14 AM

For those not versed in the ways of humor, what he did is called 'bait and switch'.

"A type of joke where a character leads the audience or other characters into thinking he or she is going to say or do something, but says or does something unexpected."

It was supposed to be funny, that's all. There was nothing derogatory in the joke to be offended by. So if you are offended, it's simply because you didn't get the joke. Understanding a joke requires knowledge of the given subject. If you aren't willing to do a little research into why something is funny then you're offended by nothing more than your own willful ignorance.

I thought the joke was quite clever, personally. Being analogous to a pun, a good bait and switch is equally rare.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:35 AM
I don't see anything offensive about this. It's not like he ended his tweet with "F*** Jesus!" Is Tyson not allowed to celebrate a man he greatly admires in a humorous way just because it happens to be a religious holiday as well?

His tweet was benign. Getting offended over this is no sillier than atheists getting offended over being told "Merry Christmas."

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:55 AM
We all know that humans are so smart that they can figure out nature with science. So smart in fact that we know better than nature and it's creator.

All one needs to do is look around at how we manage our planet and it's resources, based on science, to see that we know more than nature or God. Natural selection is just random hit or miss, no need to consider the millions of years for nature to reach a balance and perfect a species, just shoot a bunch of random genetics into a cell until you get a patented organism that is far better than millions of years of evolution.

Yea, human intelligence, we are all that and a bag of chips. We are far better than nature because of science. All hail the mighty human, the only intelligence in the universe and beyond.
edit on 27-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:05 AM

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

to bad he didn't mention that Newton was a Christian.

Of course not, he was to busy being a pompous ass.

yea tyson does come across that way.

it was said that Newton had just as many religious books and writing in his library as science books.
he was also convinced that there was a code in the old testament and spent years trying to decipher it.

He was also convinced that alchemy worked as well. About Isaac Newton and Alchemy Also the "bible code" works on other books as well some books are even better than the bible for it. Moby-Dick predicted the deaths of Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, and Yitzhak Rabin, as well as the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.
Assassinations Foretold in Moby Dick!
So if Moby-Dick were available in Newtons time he could have used it as well.
edit on 27-12-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:10 AM
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

All hail the mighty human, the only intelligence in the universe and beyond.

Do you have evidence that there is intelligence elsewhere in the universe? Unless you are part of a secret government project that has contact with other alien races then as far as we know it we are the only intelligent race in the universe.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:18 AM

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Entreri06
Where do you think the line would be for a Christian to be in bad form? (That's an honest question)

Wouldn't any mention at all of "most holy" or "the one true god" be taking exactly the same shot? If so that would include almost every prayer or sermon I've ever heard.

Context. Walking into a mosque and shouting about how Allah is a false god is bad form, which is more or less what happened in the OP.

What about "Jesus loves you"? How would a Christian feel if some one was always telling you and your children Allah loves you? Or Gia? Or satan exc?

They would HATE it!!! Would consider it blasphemy! I think he was lowering himself to the level of the very people he pokes fun at.

They shouldn't hate it. I wouldn't. Someone is expressing love, even if they are misguided.

This is a funny topic, I ran into an article from Newsweek that destroyed modern Christianity. It highlighted the fact that Jesus specifically said not to pray in public and not to do public acts of piety. That any time you gave praise so others would see you was a sin and worse then if you hadn't prayed..,., Which is exactly the opposite from the "warrior of Christ" evangelical Christians. Pretty much means almost every single preacher in America is sinning worse then any LGBT types.

That is completely false, not what Jesus said at all, and about what I would expect from Newsweek. Jesus said there are those whose purpose for praying is to be seen by men, not God, and not to be like them. I do not know a whole lot of preachers who are guilty of that, certainly not every single one. A preacher may be praying so they can be heard, but their goal has nothing to do with being seen by people, it's as an aid to help others pray. Jesus Himself spoke to God and others heard him. Newsweek told you what you wanted to hear and you lapped it up.

Mat 6:2
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Mat 6:5
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Mat 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

You do realize that when you just called others beliefs misguided your doing exactly the same thing Tyson did, right??? For exactly the same reason he did. To take a shot at others beliefs....

Also doesn't it seem funny that the same people who make there rent off praying in public (AKA every single preacher) are the same people saying not to interpret the passage from Matthew thAt SPECIFIcALLY SAYS ONLY PRAY IN PRIVTE literally!!!!

Every church I have been to, every politician who claims to be Christian holds massive group prayers. Do you think it's possible for a human to not care at all what they look like to those who are listening? Do you really think they don't find ways to word there prayers so they are the most poetic and most moving?

edit on 27-12-2014 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:21 AM
Don't get what all the fuss is about in all honesty. I don't see anything derogatory in this tweet. This is simply a case of people being overly sensitive in this new world where nobody can say anything without offending one person or another. If you are offended by this. grow up. Nobody is forcing u to read it. And you probably don't even know Tyson personally. So why care what he says?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:25 AM

yea whats your point, you saying tyson picked a fruit cake or something.
fact is tyson placed Newton up on a pedestal in his tweet when in fact Newton believed something tyson does not.
in fact tyson

refuses to give credit to those who are trying to reconcile science and religion.

in this interview.
Neil deGrasse Tyson argues science and religion are not ‘reconcilable’

kinda hypocritical of tyson to do that when he doesn't believe that it can be done.
Newton believed in a creator, tyson doesn't.

edit on 27-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

So if Moby-Dick were available in Newtons time he could have used it as well.

please it is well established that Newton was a Christian, and believed in creation and that God encoded the bible. i doubt Newton would have used anything but the bible to try and decode it, regardless of what can be found in other books.
edit on 27-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:27 AM

The keyword used here is "know". What we don't know science will provide all the answers too. Since science has failed to prove other intelligence in the universe, it cannot be considered by science to exist.

Scientists live in Kansas, the "Show Me" state, yet they have an unbroken "faith" in the scientific process.

Consider too the uses we put or scientific knowledge to, creating deadly diseases without a cure, weapons of mass destruction, unsustainable use of resources, total surveillance to keep control of the ignorant masses, and to justify anything that corporations want to do to lay waste to our home world because of greed and power.

Yea, science is the greatest thing since sliced bread, esp. the uses we put it to, like disregarding what nature has already provided us with to trade it with their synthetic constructs. Look at what man has made and ignore the obvious, that man himself is not self created and everything we know from science is ultimately from nature.

Go back a few years and science told us that the world was flat and living creatures spontaneously generated from inanimate objects like mud. That was scientific fact until the theories changed.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:30 AM
Lol did anyone actualy watch Cosmos, in the last or second episode last when he is basicaly explaining how Christianity stole its entire religion from religions before it and that infact religion is a complete fabrication of impossibility?. Pretty funny.

Lol at religious people.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:31 AM
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Yeah big bad science. Science which has allowed you to be having this discussion via the medium you are using right now (Internet)

Fact is. Science didn't do any of those things you mentioned. People did. Science doesn't have an agenda. People do. So yeah let's stop all scientific progress that could save your life. Or improve the lives of countless millions around the world. All because some misguided people use science for none altruistic means.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:34 AM

What I find problematic that the pope can flat out come out and say that December 25th probably was not the birth date of Jesus Christ a couple of years ago or so, not too many would argue especially with many of the inconsistencies surrounding the date in the winter season, so yes there is great debate and possible error in this belief, nothing blasphemous about the claims.

Once again people that do not use reason and common sense get upset about something like this and they completely forget about Saturnalia and the Yuletide season and where it really originated and many of the other fictional motifs which have absolutely nothing to do with the birth of Jesus.

The astrophysicist, Tyson, on the other hand, did with much more accuracy announce and give a birthday greeting to another person in history that there is much more substantial proof that he was born on that date, so you have an actual truth in the message.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>