It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Jesus was never born on Christmas day anyway.

It was likely October or November.

So the scientist is right the only significant birthday was Newton that day

The True meaning of Christmas that everyone forgot!

Let's say we find out an asteroid is going to hit the earth at some point over the next three months. It may kill all of us, it may kill some of us, it may splash harmlessly into the ocean -- but there is no stopping it. All we can do is hunker down and see what happens. How would you react? How would humanity as a whole react? Well, I know how: we would prepare as best we could, and then we would surround ourselves with the people we love most and party our asses off. We would do it, because we would realize it might be our last chance. I know this, because we have Christmas.

Allow me to explain.

Get some cocoa, and get comfy. Here's some background music.
This is the time of year when my Christian friends remind me via Facebook image macros that Christ is the reason for the season, and my atheist friends remind everyone that "Christmas" is at best a renamed pagan orgy and at worst a crass hybrid of religious conditioning and economic stimulus ("God became a man to save us from sin, so let's get into a fistfight over the last PlayStation 4 at Target!"). Well, let me take the bold stance that if you're using Christmas as an excuse to be a dick to somebody, you're probably doing it wrong. The real origins of this holiday are amazing, sacred, and etched into your very DNA, if not by God then by evolution. There's enough magic here for everybody, damn it.

It's hard to understand why Christmas came to be a big deal even for people who have never stepped foot inside a church without understanding the context. And the context -- which does predate Christianity by thousands of years -- is that December kicks off winter in the Northern hemisphere. And for most of human history, winter meant a bunch of us were going to freaking die.

Purestock/Purestock/Getty Images

So like this, but with corpses piled up under the tree instead of gifts.
We're so detached from that idea today, when the cold means nothing more than mild annoyance and sometimes slippery roads, that it's hard to grasp how recent this was, and that this was the way of things for virtually all of human history. Every year, you headed into winter with just enough stored food and fuel to get by. The old and the sick knew they might not make it through, and an especially harsh winter could mean no one would feel the sun's warmth ever again. Every year, you watched all of the plants turn brown and shrivel into husks, followed by an unrelenting darkness and cold that threatened to swallow you and everything you love.

And looking back at that, we see an awesome little portrait of exactly how much humans kick ass. Every year, you see, winter arrived with a short day followed by the longest night of the year (aka the winter solstice), and since before recorded history, humans have been celebrating that day with a feast, or festival, or outright debauchery. On that longest night before the frozen mini-apocalypse, in all times and places you would find light and song and dancing and food. Cattle would be slaughtered (to avoid having to feed all of them through the winter), families would travel to be together, and wine would flow. Precious supplies were dedicated to making decorations and gifts -- frivolous things, good for nothing other than making each other happy.

Wiki Commons

Sure, some of the kid toys ended up looking like fetish gear, but the spirit and intent were pure.
These celebrations went by many names over the millennia, and everyone did it their own way. But deep down, I think the message was always the same: "We made it through another year, some of us won't see spring, let's spend a few days reminding each other of what's good about humanity." Or, I'll just let you read my favorite Christmas quote, from esteemed essayist Dan Harmon:

No matter how black, white, male, female, Irish, German, tall, short, ugly or pretty you felt this year, you are part of a family that has been targeted by an unforgiving cosmos since its inception but has, regardless, survived ... humanity, warts and all, is an inherently heroic species that has spent about 99.99% of its short lifetime as an underdog. And If you see no billboards telling you that, it's not because it's not true. It's because there's little to no profit to be made telling you.

I could go on and on about the suffering we've endured and the adaptations we've made, but to me, our species' crowning jewel is that on the shortest day of the year, when the sun spends most of its time swallowed, when everything is frozen, when nothing can grow, when the air is so cold our voices stop right in front of our faces ... we put a string of lights on a universe that is currently doing nothing to earn it. We not only salvage an otherwise desolate time of year, we make it the best time of year.

MSPhotographic/iStock/Getty Images

"Winter: we have eggnog."
"Wait," you might say, "so your inspirational, 'true meaning of Christmas' is that we should remember how our filthy ancestors used to freeze to death on a regular basis?" No, Christmas isn't magical because of what it was, or where it came from. It's magical because that's what it still is.

See, around this time of year, my social media also fills with friends and acquaintances half-joking about having to tolerate the holidays around their extended family, people they only see once or twice a year with whom they have nothing in common and don't like talking to. It all seems so arbitrary to them, a holiday that as a kid meant free toys and as an adult means travel, shopping, and trying to remember the name of your cousin's new wife while the two of you make awkward conversation around the eggnog fountain. But that's only because we're separated from that ancient, unspoken truth, which is that this festive gathering around the fire might be the last time you see those faces.

And that part hasn't changed.

estt/iStock/Getty Images

Though, admittedly, some of the particulars are a bit different.
This will be read by tens of thousands of people, and statistically, some of you are in fact traveling to see your grandparents, or parents, or siblings, for the very last time. You don't know it's their last Christmas, of course -- if you somehow knew, you'd do it differently. You'd try to stretch out those moments, you wouldn't spend conversations nervously looking for an exit point, you'd spend a little more time digging up old memories and laughing about your shared past. You'd spend less time worrying about the gifts and the budget, and more about how we're spending the precious little time we have left. Once upon a time, nobody needed that reminder that life was short -- the holiday was the reminder. You hugged your family extra tight because, to quote the HBO series all the kids are watching these days, "Winter is Coming."*

*The Alex Winter Show

Michael Buckner/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

"Joke all you want, but you have no idea how much Tinder mileage I've gotten out of that line."
So in my mind, the Christians complaining about people losing sight of the real meaning of the holiday are right, in the sense that people do forget that it's supposed to be about generosity, and redemptio

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: moosevernel

I have to say one more thing Moose Vernal, I actually agree that the scientific method has given mankind a rational way of understanding nature and that we have benefited greatly by it's responsible uses almost as much as we have been using it to destroy our planet.

In many ways I do agree with your position, but I'm of the opinion that science is faith based as much, or even more, than religion is.

I have faith that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, not because science says it will, but it has done that my entire life. Now, if one day the sun rose in the west, then I'm sure the mathematical gymnastics of science will come up with a reasonable answer as to why. The same with anything you want to explain away as reasonable.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

The same with anything you want to explain away as reasonable.

And if only it could explain away the perfectly reasonable supposition an invisible man who lives in the clouds created the earth in 6 days lol.
edit on 27-12-2014 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

The thing is, as literal as Bible thumpers want to make their religious ideology, religion, like any other human endeavors, is a specialized study based on jargon. Unless you truly understand the jargon, the meaning is lost on those who just take the Bible at face value.

If you studied the Bible you'd understand that God is not an invisible man in the clouds and the 6 days of creation were not literal. You are getting caught up in what other people are assuming about the Bible, and that makes you sound incredibly ignorant. What you have claimed about Judeo-Christian belief is not what is necessarily in the Bible. To get a real understanding would take a lifetime of study into the customs and languages of that time and place.

Basically you are taking your own assumptions at their face value without really looking into it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Absolutely. And they call others the trolls. Weirdness all around.

It's kind of a false empowerment they've had bestowed upon them and maybe some weird compulsion that makes them both thatthey have to complain about it loudly and that anyone cares when they do. Hell they even kind of set themselves up for more. Ha.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck
i can agree wih almost everything you say there except that sciemce is based on faith. true to some degree that thr layman has to trust 'the scientist' to some degree that what they say is true. but on.thr other hand. science is verifyable. the scientific method worksvery well when used properly. to find the truth of nature.

so no i dont really have to have 'faith' to understand how science works or from my own conclusions about current theroies and models.

religion requires complete and utter faith about something that cannot (as of yet) be proven one way or the other. maybe someday that will changen who knows.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

had to star your post. awesome post sir!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: moosevernel

Yea, science and religion will reconcile eventually, hopefully anyways.

However, it can be proven, scientifically, that our senses and our brain's interpretation of those senses are flawed. We have absolutely no way of OBJECTIVELY proving anything is actually real based on our perception. Unfortunately, that's all we have to work with, therefore our faith in our senses is our faith in science.

This is the postmodern era where everything is relative and nothing is truly real, so go a head and think that what you perceive is real, but it has been proven by science that it is not.

Of course, if you sense something that is unscientific, you are insane, hallucinating or have faith in something you cannot prove scientifically. A double standard for sure.
edit on 27-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I, my self, claim Christ. The only offensive part to me is my fellow believers getting offended at a rather funny tweet. Grow up already!
I doubt the great creator was offended. We do have the Tumble Bug, I bet the creator even giggled at the tweet.
edit on 27-12-2014 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I'm not a Christian, but am a believer in God. Issac Newton was a religious mystic as well as a scientist. A well rounded man unlike this "scientist" who lacks, unlike Issac Newton, a spiritual eye. The jokes on the Tyson who proves his ignorance.
edit on 27-12-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
I, my self, claim Christ. The only offensive part to me is my fellow believers getting offended at a rather funny tweet. Grow up already!
I doubt the great creator was offended. We do have the Tumble Bug, I bet the creator even giggled at the tweet.

I'm a Christian also and don't care, Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. It was September 29th in 2 B.C.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: ttropia

I'm a Christian also and don't care, Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. It was September 29th in 2 B.C.
Lmao no one including you nor Emperor Constantine had any idea what day Jesus was born.... It was 400 years later by the time Christianity was a full fledged religion and there were no cell phones to keep up with the date. All culture celebrated the winter solstice so they decided to celebrate it that day... No one ever claimed to have any clue what day he was actually born.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

I'm not a Christian, but am a believer in God. Issac Newton was a religious mystic as well as a scientist. A well rounded man unlike this "scientist" who lacks, unlike Issac Newton, a spiritual eye. The jokes on the Tyson who proves his ignorance.

Sure if some one with multiple personalities is considered well rounded..... Science requires proof. After 10,s of THOUSANDS of years NO religion has been able to provide anything besides the warm and fuzzies.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Jesus changed the world by founding a movement based on selflessness and love

Except that Christians today are all about hating people and destroying the planet.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There is NOTHING wrong with what he said. There is no reason to mention Jesus just because December 25th is involved. Jesus does not OWN the 25th of December.

Just because he only talked about Newton and didn't mention Jesus does not mean he is insulting Jesus.

I don't know how this can be considered incendiary unless your faith is so weak that anything said that might not meet your particular brand of orthodoxy could cause you to lose your faith. Pathetic.

If you are strong in your faith, any contrary statements that opposed your brand of orthodoxy should roll off you like water off a duck's back.

People need to get a grip and grow up.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

The real question is would newton buy Christianity if he knew how edited and just flat out wrong the bible is, like we do today?

i hate to break the news to you Newton did know that the bible was corrupted.
again a wiki cuase it's fast.

A Historical Account of Two Notable Corruptions of Scripture is a dissertation by the English mathematician and scholar Sir Isaac Newton. This was sent in a letter to John Locke on 14 November 1690 and built upon the textual work of Richard Simon and his own research. The text was first published in English in 1754, 27 years after his death. The account claimed to[citation needed] review all the textual evidence available from ancient sources on two disputed Bible passages: 1 John 5:7 and 1 Timothy 3:16. Newton describes this letter as "an account of what the reading has been in all ages, and what steps it has been changed, as far as I can hitherto determine by records",[1] and "a criticism concerning a text of Scripture".[2] He blames "the Roman church" for many abuses in the world[1] and accuses it of "pious frauds".[2] He adds that "the more learned and quick-sighted men, as Luther, Erasmus, Bullinger, Grotius, and some others, would not dissemble their knowledge".[3]
An Historical Account of Two Notable Corruptions of Scripture

this is just two he talks about, during his time to criticize the church could cost you dearly. that's why many of his writings and thoughts came much later after his death.

Virtually every historical "fact" in the bible from creation to when camels were used in the Middle East to the size of bethleham have been found to be wrong.

really, i won't address all of this just what you mentioned.
camels:
the bible says Abraham used camels, and people connected to him in Genesis. and where did Abraham come from Ur of the Chaldees in southern Mesopotamia, some people want to say there was no such city, others there was. that's not the important part, the important part is the Country/ region which was southern Mesopotamia, because there is evidence that shows that dromedary camels( single hump) where indeed being used in Mesopotamia, up to 1000 years before Abraham, and bactrian camels ( double hump) about five hundred years before him. so it is completely plausible that they were used by Abraham, and be mentioned in the bible.

bethleham:
not sure what your trying to say, the only mention of it size is how small a place in Micah 5:2 back then, which scholars say it true. as it was just a lodging stop along the way to Jerusalem.

if you have any soucre for the size of bethlehem in the bible post it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I just went trough hell and back proving to the Cherokee Tribe that my Great Grandmother was relocated from Georgia to Oklahoma. She was born April 16, 1883. How the heck could I prove a date 2000 years ago when I barley proved my Grandmothers day less than 200 years ago.

To claim a known date, if the story is true, 2000 years ago is not logical.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I do not see this to be majority so. In my community, we love everyone regardless of belief. I think what you are speaking of is the perversion of Christianity. The people that use a belief system to claim they are somehow better than others. This is not the way it works in my view. Humbleness reigns in my belief.

Often I will tell someone that says my belief is wrong that they may be correct, I may be mistaken. Lets have a beer bud!

For the heck of it I will add. I haven't any experience of the existence of Jesus, but I have been approached by a higher powered "spirit" that was seen by my "Third Eye". This "Thing" did not speak to me, just was present long enough to observe me and let me know it was there. That's about it. People I spoke with said "That's the Holy spirit my friend!" This is all I have to go on.

Bethlehem was 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch. I just measured it. Source: Back of my inerrant Bible.

edit on 27-12-2014 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: gort51

Pagans did not have Christmas trees, but it's likely the idea came from someone who knew Pagan traditions. It was started about 1300 years after Christmas began. It began in the 1600's.

That is categorically untrue. Jesus, in the bible, even mentions the ways of the "heathens" who put up what we now call Christmas trees. Source

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Tyson didn't show any kind of ignorance. The people who are really showing their ignorance are the people crying Newton was a Christian and how the holiday is based on Jesus. Newton was an unorthodox Christian who refused the holy orders of the Church of England and didn't believe in the Trinity. All Tyson did was to say was Newton changed the world and was born on Dec 25th which is fact. The people who only think Jesus changed this world and only he counts when it comes to Dec 25th are the only ignorant ones.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join