It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Considers HAVOC in the Atmoshere of Venus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
HAVOC -- High Altitude Venus Operational Concept.
Venus , an interesting planet too hostile to explore , at least it is at the surface but scientists working at NASA's Langley Research Center are conducting feasibility studies on a proposed high altitude base on the planet from which astronauts could conduct experiments and explore the atmosphere of Venus , maybe even search for life.

The surface of Venus isn’t going to work for humans, but what if we ignore the surface and stick to the clouds? Dale Arney and Chris Jones, from the Space Mission Analysis Branch of NASA’s Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate at Langley Research Center, in Virginia, have been exploring that idea. Perhaps humans could ride through the upper atmosphere of Venus in a solar-powered airship

HAVOC comprises a series of missions that would begin by sending a robot into the atmosphere of Venus to check things out. That would be followed up by a crewed mission to Venus orbit with a stay of 30 days, and then a mission that includes a 30-day atmospheric stay. Later missions would have a crew of two spend a year in the atmosphere, and eventually there would be a permanent human presence there in a floating cloud city.

The HAVOC team believes that its concept offers a realistic target for crewed exploration in the near future, pending moderate technological advancements and support from NASA. Little about HAVOC is dependent on technology that isn’t near-term. The primary restriction that a crewed version of HAVOC would face is that in its current incarnation it depends on the massive Block IIB configuration of the Space Launch System, which may not be ready to fly until the late 2020s. Several proof-of-concept studies have already been completed.
spectrum.ieee.org...

Now that's a mission I'd like to see sooner rather than later , as they say in the article it could be done as a practice run for a future Mars mission.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
That might mean then they are already tinkering with huge solar powered craft right here on Earth, it would certainly explain so many of those, "big as a football pitch" sightings.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This is a duplicate post, this topic was posted a few days ago over here.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
HAVOC -- High Altitude Venus Operational Concept.

Did you even bother to check before you reposted essentially the same thing I posted in this post last week?

ATS: NASA Scientists Propose Airships and Cloud City for Human Exploration of Venus (VIDEO)

It's right there on the front page for this forum. You didn't even have to search.
edit on 26-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Did you even bother to check before you reposted essentially the same thing I posted in this post last week?

Yes I bothered to check , I searched for HAVOC and Atmosphere of Venus but nothing was returned as you did not use those terms in your title.
As for reposting what you've already posted , well yours is a Repost too so get off of your high horse.

It's right there on the front page for this forum.

Good for you.

edit on 27-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
A 'Cloud City' its being coined..
Are they mining Tibana gas?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Yes I bothered to check , I searched for HAVOC and Atmosphere of Venus but nothing was returned as you did not use those terms in your title.

But you didn't look at the first page of the forum. Or search for "NASA Venus Mission". Makes sense.

As for reposting what you've already posted , well yours is a Repost too so get off of your high horse.

Mine is not a repost as it was:

1) Posted in the CORRECT forum (Space Exploration).

and...

2) No one had already posted it here. If they had I would not have reposted like yours which if you would have looked at the page it would have been pretty obvious what my post was about (unlike the Lando whatever post in the Aircraft forum which I never read).

So put your pride and need to be right aside, stop deflecting and admit you screwed up.
edit on 27-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

But you didn't look at the first page of the forum. Or search for "NASA Venus Mission". Makes sense.

That's your assumption.

No one had already posted it here. If they had I would not have reposted like yours which if you would have looked at the page it would have been pretty obvious what my post was about

It happens.
There's no need to get upset about it , it's a cool story but you don't own it , no doubt the mods will do what they feel is necessary.

edit on 27-12-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join